• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternatives to DCBS?
1 1

109 posts in this topic

I have had so many damaged books from them for quite awhile it isn't even funny.  When they moved to TN it was horrible, then they moved back to their original location and it got better for awhile, but now has been bad for months.  They are using the larger bubble wrap instead of the mold-able styrofoam type packs they used to use and that is poblem one. The shrink and rubber band haven't been an issue I can see on my end, but most of my damages are pre-shipment.  They are not vetting books at all.  As another has stated, they have given me a refund/replacement on a few books without sending them back but usually I have to send larger amounts back.  I've gotten some real beaters.  Biggest problem is that once you get the books, they may be sold out and you get no replacement which makes pre-ordering copies of books useless.  My last email with the rep that I deal with told me "we don't promise NM comics".  I straight up told her I get it I'm not going to get all 9.4-9.8 comics, but once you pass the 9.0 threshold and get down to the 8.0 and below that is unacceptable.  These are books you shouldn't have sent me and you can't replace them now, and they are selling for 10x cover in the case of Spawn 309 McFarlane.  One of my copies is like a 7.5.  I think there are some better alternatives as far as service, but with a way lower discount, and more expensive shipping.

As others have mentioned i started when Cameron was running by himself.the TN move was a nightmare and I left then. MCS and Sanctum have done well for me for years. 

And if u order ur local shop should give a discount as well as u pad their orders. Again I know some lcs are worse just a suggestion.

And lastly for some of you the service u want you will never find. Ocd is really bad in our hobby and I think its impossible to please some.

And those that look to slab moderns consistenly does Beacbum still offer his service?

Edited by fastballspecial

On 10/17/2020 at 12:49 PM, fastballspecial said:

As others have mentioned i started when Cameron was running by himself.the TN move was a nightmare and I left then. MCS and Sanctum have done well for me for years. 

And if u order ur local shop should give a discount as well as u pad their orders. Again I know some lcs are worse just a suggestion.

And lastly for some of you the service u want you will never find. Ocd is really bad in our hobby and I think its impossible to please some.

And those that look to slab moderns consistenly does Beacbum still offer his service?

There are better alternatives to Beachbum as well. I've been using 3204 Auctions for CGC 9.8 subscriptions for years. Not perfect, but any misses are communicated in a timely manner.

i purchased some comics from dcbs .They are the worst company to deal with   always shortages and mistakes .In stock items take over 6 weeks to get if your lucky 

Most of the time your shorted and they give you a credit when you complain good luck getting the credit. If you order over 3 items of one thing they get mad

I was ordering for a group of 20 comic fans 

When  i complained about it they closed by account still waiting for a refund from preorders

They say there is free shipping with preorders don"t count on it .Our  advise order from diamond  stay away from dcbs

On 11/13/2020 at 3:52 PM, Bigdoug48 said:

In stock items take over 6 weeks to get if your lucky 

Did you lump these with your pre-order?  One invoice, one order, one shipment.

image.thumb.png.3a5b075cba18831ef8a07cb4bee883ba.png

Most of the time your shorted and they give you a credit

In two years, I've never missed a book I didn't pre-order.  Maybe if you're ordering a 1:100 variant or something, then sure, I can see how that might not go through from time to time because it's dependent on the total number of orders they receive.  They really should put a disclaimer that orders are fulfilled on a first come first serve basis based on the total number of that title they purchased.  Oh wait, they do!

image.thumb.png.df0996d9cba68be0f76bfc36621c95eb.png

I was ordering for a group of 20 comic fans

If you're ordering for that many people (and assuming they have similar tastes in books), isn't it cheaper to go straight to Diamond anyways?  Also, if you're ordering for 20 people, DCBS probably flagged you as a distributor.

image.thumb.png.5ab1e718d266f3e885c87e732471cbd6.png

They say there is free shipping with preorders

They literally don't say anything of the sort.

Perhaps you should spend more time reading the FAQ.

Edited by ExNihilo

On 1/14/2020 at 3:03 AM, Samoyed Sabaka said:

As a side note, for those living in the Los Angeles Area, I did discover that my LCS - Legacy Comics in Glendale does offer a nice 33% discount on Marvel and DC, 20% off other publishers - so I'm definitely thinking about switching back to buying at a brick and morter - something I haven't regularly done in almost 20 years.  I will miss the ease with which I could place an order on DCBS, but hopefully, being able to deal with my local shop in a face to face situation will be better in the long run.

I apparently have the worst luck in choosing where to buy comics online - I already had to do chargebacks on two different places who never shipped and completely ghosted me. Now I have Legacy Comics - I bought a bunch of comics in September with preorders. The last issue that was preordered came out on Nov. 10, but I still don't have shipping confirmation and I emailed them twice now for a status update with zero response. I really want the books I ordered, but they're just ghosting me now too it seems. What the heck is going on with these online comic retailers? It's really frustrating...

2 hours ago, Jesse-Lee said:

I apparently have the worst luck in choosing where to buy comics online - I already had to do chargebacks on two different places who never shipped and completely ghosted me. Now I have Legacy Comics - I bought a bunch of comics in September with preorders. The last issue that was preordered came out on Nov. 10, but I still don't have shipping confirmation and I emailed them twice now for a status update with zero response. I really want the books I ordered, but they're just ghosting me now too it seems. What the heck is going on with these online comic retailers? It's really frustrating...

That is surprising, at least to me, as I occasionally order from Legacy Comics and the store promptly ships my orders. Granted, a great many of the Spawn issues that I receive from Legacy, unfortunately, always have the spine ticks, frequently color breaking, numerous, and relatively large, that posters on the Spawn thread in the modern section note for many Spawn issues.

On 11/25/2020 at 7:23 AM, Jesse-Lee said:

Is it possible they ship once per month on pre-orders to save customers on shipping costs?

Just wanted to comment on this with an update to be fair to Legacy Comics - it appears they created a label on 11/11 and shipped on 11/26, and the order is in transit. I didn't receive any tracking info, but they did respond to me today with it, so all is well that ends well. The first couple of times I asked about the order I did it via a direct email; this time I used the form on their site and received an update within a couple of hours. This wouldn't dissuade me from ordering from them again - I'd just know to make sure and ask for a tracking update and to do it using their main form instead of the email address I got from the PayPal transaction.