• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Loose Centerfold Grading

6 posts in this topic

I've recently been buying up copies of the Brave and the Bold #60 and have had multiple copies with loose centerfolds. In fact, the last 3  bought have had them. There are also a couple more on ebay with loose centerfolds in the description. Are certain books known to have loose centerfold issues are am I just on a bad streak? Really, over 30+ years of collecting, I very rarely come across a book with a loose cf.

Two of the three books I purchased didn't mention the defect in the description so I started looking around to see what grade it starts to be allowable. Ended up on the Heritage site where "centerfold loose" is first allowed on a 6.0 book.

https://comics.ha.com/tutorial/comics-grading.s?show=comicdefinitions

I've always thought if it's loose on 1 staple it's around VG, completely loose maybe a VG-, is it now acceptable in the Fine range?

UPDATE :whatthe: !!!

So I started asking if centerfold was attached on this book before purchasing on ebay. Three different sellers looked and found out that their B&B 60 did indeed have a detached centerfold, one of them lowered the price enough that I grabbed it anyway. I also came across a copy right before it was ending and went ahead and took a chance. Of course, loose centerfold :cry:. There was the the boardie selling a VG copy that I asked to check the centerfold for me, after checking he did a light pull on the page and is now the proud owner of a loose centerfold copy!! I now own 8 copies with 7 of them having completely loose or loose at 1 staple centerfolds.

I'm going to go ahead and say that this is common on this book. At this point I think CGC should just consider it a printing defect and not deduct for it.

20 hours ago, boomtown said:

So I started asking if centerfold was attached on this book before purchasing on ebay. Three different sellers looked and found out that their B&B 60 did indeed have a detached centerfold, one of them lowered the price enough that I grabbed it anyway. I also came across a copy right before it was ending and went ahead and took a chance. Of course, loose centerfold :cry:. There was the the boardie selling a VG copy that I asked to check the centerfold for me, after checking he did a light pull on the page and is now the proud owner of a loose centerfold copy!! I now own 8 copies with 7 of them having completely loose or loose at 1 staple centerfolds.

I'm going to go ahead and say that this is common on this book. At this point I think CGC should just consider it a printing defect and not deduct for it.

Interesting. DC comics from this era are notorious for having popped or pulled staples, so it isn't surprising that some of these books have loose centerfolds as well. However, having this many copies of a certain issue with the same flaw is noteworthy. Unfortunately, CGC is unlikely to pass this off as a printing defect and not deduct for it. They'll likely just note it on the label and downgrade the book. Nice detective work, though...  (thumbsu

On 1/29/2019 at 3:59 PM, boomtown said:

On 1/30/2019 at 12:28 PM, The Lions Den said:

Interesting. DC comics from this era are notorious for having popped or pulled staples, so it isn't surprising that some of these books have loose centerfolds as well. However, having this many copies of a certain issue with the same flaw is noteworthy. Unfortunately, CGC is unlikely to pass this off as a printing defect and not deduct for it. They'll likely just note it on the label and downgrade the book. Nice detective work, though...  (thumbsu

The timing of this topic is quite interesting, as I finally found a higher-grade raw copy of Brave and the Bold #60 with a rock-solid centerfold a few weeks ago, and had this exact discussion with the dealer who sold it to me...he was commenting on how difficult it was to find a copy that was 1) higher grade and 2) free of centerfold issues.

It took me quite a while to find a nicer copy that didn't have either a partially detached centerfold or a centerfold that was on its way to being detached...even higher grade copies of this book seemed to have this issue.

The dealer and I also discussed how a lot of copies of Hawkman #1 seem to have a partially detached cover...

@boomtown, good luck with your hunt for copies of Brave and the Bold #60 that don't have centerfold issues!