• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[CLOSED] Vault of Horror #12 (EC 1950) 1st Horror comic Golden Age Rare

8 posts in this topic

Hello guys!     Posting one book today for a friend

Vault of Horror #12 (EC, 1950)   2.0 Gd Cover detached (complete)

1st  issue of the title formerly known as War Against Crime

Ties with Crypt of Terror #17 as the 1st horror comic ever

Johnny Craig cover & art

Al Feldstein, Wally Wood & Harvey Kurtzman art 

$995 or best offer

Shipping: FREE in the US (No international shipping)        Payment: PayPal only  (I would appreciate payment within the first 48 hours of claiming a book) 

My Ebay @unlimited-power75  feedback of me as %100 seller or   Instagram @dreamtoreal1  for references  also have a Kudos here

First :takeit:   in the thread trumps all else. Feel free to drop any questions my way via PM or if you need more pics. . I am not a professional grader please look at the pics

20 minutes ago, Dreamtoreal1 said:

Hello guys!     Posting one book today for a friend

Vault of Horror #12 (EC, 1950)   2.0 Gd Cover detached (complete)

1st  issue of the title formerly known as War Against Crime

Ties with Crypt of Terror #17 as the 1st horror comic ever

I assumed Eerie Comics #1 (1947) was the first true horror comic?

Free bump

33 minutes ago, Finhead said:

I assumed Eerie Comics #1 (1947) was the first true horror comic?

Free bump

You know what? That's an interesting debate. the Eerie comics #1 came in 1947 yes and many consider it the 1st true horror comic  but some pundits don't like the idea that it was the only issue published (stand alone comic) (so it was not a horror run per se ) like vault of horror and crypt of terror. they really started the genre there. I can see both sides  #semantics

1 minute ago, Dreamtoreal1 said:

You know what? That's an interesting debate. the Eerie comics #1 came in 1947 yes and many consider it the 1st true horror comic  but some pundits don't like the idea that it was the only issue published (stand alone comic) (so it was not a horror run per se ) like vault of horror and crypt of terror. they really started the genre there. I can see both sides  #semantics

I also remember Classics #13 (Dr Jekyll)being listed as first horror comic(?) in Overstreet for years.Not sure if it still is though.

Awesome book!

29 minutes ago, Dreamtoreal1 said:

Adventures into the Unknown was ongoing from '48, and while it was horror it wasnt as gruesome as EC stuff...so does it get ignored as "horror" as a result?

20 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

Adventures into the Unknown was ongoing from '48, and while it was horror it wasnt as gruesome as EC stuff...so does it get ignored as "horror" as a result?

Oh wow! Man you added Adventures into the unknown #1 from 1948 into the mix. With a strong ??case. 

I would say that should be the true number 1. 

And as a bonus. Check this splash page from adventures #51. #awesome

53EEB4C9-9BB6-4D6E-878D-A1F27E5862FD.jpeg