• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the 1st TRUE GA Comic HORROR Ever?
1 1

41 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

Glad you brought up the Ancient Witch. Yellowjacket Comics 7 is known for its classic skull cover but has yet to be appreciated for also being the first appearance of the Ancient Witch. Overstreet and CGC please take notice...

The Old Witch's mother?

7 minutes ago, misterrmystery said:

Add this one to the mix. Some more food for thought regarding first horror comic. This goes back to December 1940 in Prize Comics #7.

PC7FRANK

According to horror comics scholar Mike Howlett, in his essay “Howlett’s Hysterical Horror Comic History” (published in the horror comic anthology In the Dark), the first horror comic series was “The New Adventures of Frankenstein”, which began serialization in Prize Comics #7 (December 1940),  based on the monster from Mary Shelley’s 1818 novel Frankenstein; or, the Modern Prometheus.  However, Prize Comics #7 was an anthology comic, and the comic’s other features were unrelated to the horror genre.

I noticed too that like the multiple versions since the book was published the title there suggests the monster is Frankenstein. Pretty sure that series was NOT about the real Frankenstein’s adventures. lol 

4 hours ago, rjpb said:

Considering horror pulps had been around since the 1920's, and early comics were often pulp influenced, as well as put out by pulp publishers, it's surprising their wasn't an earlier horror themed anthology title than Eerie. 

I think that it was only the waning draw of superheroes after the end of WW2 that made publishers look toward books with only one theme. Crime and western themes predates the war but it was only in 1947/48 that you saw romance, war and horror really become the sole focus of a title.

4 minutes ago, IngelsFan said:

I think that it was only the waning draw of superheroes after the end of WW2 that made publishers look toward books with only one theme. Crime and western themes predates the war but it was only in 1947/48 that you saw romance, war and horror really become the sole focus of a title.

I would add that the influence of the Universal Monster movies probably had some impact here on the publishers noticing what was popular with the public.

4 hours ago, N e r V said:

I noticed too that like the multiple versions since the book was published the title there suggests the monster is Frankenstein. Pretty sure that series was NOT about the real Frankenstein’s adventures.

Frankenstein and his monster appear in a modern US city, battling it out over several issues.  Then it switches to an adopted kid of Frankenstein who becomes a costumed hero "Bulldog Denny" that takes on the fight.  While violent, I'm not sure it's 100% horror.  In the academic literary community, the original novel is considered fantasy rather than horror.

Frankenstein (the monster) will get his own title in 1945 that starts out as a humor book before switching to full blown pre-code horror in the 1950s.

2 hours ago, adamstrange said:

Frankenstein (the monster) will get his own title in 1945 that starts out as a humor book before switching to full blown pre-code horror in the 1950s.

The Briefer Frankenstein strip isn’t the most schizophrenic series of the golden age... I don’t think anything can beat Venus for that crown... but it’s a strong candidate for 2nd place.

There are two debates at work:

-First Horror comic cover

-First Horror comic which has all horror stories for interiors

The best explanation I have read on the subject is from the wonderful zine series, "Tales Too Terrible Too Tell" published by NEC. There are eleven in the series and were released in the 1990s. Worth tracking down for the precode horror collector. 

Heres what they have to say:

image.jpeg

Speaking of horror comics, isn't it time again for another "Terrible 25" list of the most popular PCH books? I'm lookin at you @Darth Corgi ! :grin:

I'd be real interested to see what books broke out, rose to the top and the ones that might have dipped in popularity in collector's eyes! :wishluck:

Edited by Jayman

On 4/9/2018 at 9:20 PM, Rude into terror said:

Hit comics #6 1940 Early old witch. This might be the first for an old witch or horror in comics

HIT6OLDWITCH.jpg

She was in the first issue.   Would this be the first horror series?

On 4/9/2018 at 2:33 PM, misterrmystery said:

Add this one to the mix. Some more food for thought regarding first horror comic. This goes back to December 1940 in Prize Comics #7.

PC7FRANK

According to horror comics scholar Mike Howlett, in his essay “Howlett’s Hysterical Horror Comic History” (published in the horror comic anthology In the Dark), the first horror comic series was “The New Adventures of Frankenstein”, which began serialization in Prize Comics #7 (December 1940),  based on the monster from Mary Shelley’s 1818 novel Frankenstein; or, the Modern Prometheus.  However, Prize Comics #7 was an anthology comic, and the comic’s other features were unrelated to the horror genre.

I love that book. Not an easy find. 11 Universal copies in the census. 

In regards to comics as a whole, is it out of the question to suggest Suspense Comics #9 (August, 1945)? It doesn’t have a considerably comedic feature like Gregory the Ghost in Spook Comics #1 or Goofy Ghost in Eerie Comics #1, as Suspense Comics #9 doesn’t have the comedic Sherry Flippe feature present in other issues.

qc1bTqN.jpg

OtoXwNy.jpg

yLQGXPh.jpg

h8Kq4rH.jpg

rneI2f4.jpg

W1u9s1w.jpg

Yxu4mf8.jpg

b74K7TJ.jpg

Edited by Electricmastro