• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention 2018
3 3

99 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, PopKulture said:

I'm going to wrap with this picture of the art gallery. This year had so much Kelly Freas it made my head spin. Maybe I'll post a few individual snapshots later on, but the little can lights you see in some of the zoomed out photos do make it tough to take pictures of the works with glass frames. Like I'm complaining, right?

Many kudos to Doug, Deb, John and everyone else for making this happen. And happen. And happen...  Your hard work is appreciated.  :applause:

p.s.  Robot Man, you should've warned me how long these reports actually take!  :baiting:

46493270.ef113755.1024.jpg

who's kelly freas collection was on display?...if you can a few more freas shots, thanks

Edited by Mmehdy

3 hours ago, DocHoppus182 said:

Wow, great pics and report!  I would always go to Pulpfest when it was held in downtown Columbus.  I think it has moved to a different location now though ???.

I think it's in Philly this year.... or somewhere on the East Coast. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Thanks to everyone for the kudos! It was fun putting together this report, and I know I'll enjoy peeking back at it as time rolls on. As it was my first time, I tried earnestly to be polite about photographing people's stuff and mentioned that I might post the pics here. Several dealers like Gary C, Roger H, John H and others were in attendance but didn't seem to be in their booths when I did my laps camera in hand. I'm glad it's a three day show so that you have time to just chance upon a booth and catch some great stories from around the country. 

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:59 AM, Robot Man said:

Wow Pop, just wow! Outstanding report. Looks like you covered all the bases. Yeah, it's a bit of work to do it right like you did. It is appreciated. I really felt like I was there.

Very interesting show. As I suspected, way more than just pulps. I think I saw more things there that I would have spent my dough on than I've seen on the wall shots of C2E2. Saw a lot of GGA and horror pulps that you just NEVER see anywhere else. Not to mention comics, pbs, art, posters and even some premiums. What a selection. 

Looks like a small show like Terry's. The way I like it. Reminds me of a "paperback" and another paper show we have out here. Also looks like a pretty small crowd and a lot of older folks. We're there many comic collectors there? Any boardies? I know Catrick was going. The guy with the amazing wall of comics seemed out of place. Wonder why he wasn't down the street?

Thanks again for taking the time to post this stuff. Lot of work yes, but very appreciated. 

There really is a great cross-section of stuff there which I tried to hint at in my report. There's something for everyone, really. Reading copies of Hammett - Yakimas for advanced collectors. Definitely a small crowd, and I was one of the younger guys twenty years ago and I'm still one of the younger guys now, grey hair n all, so, yes, a lot of older fans. There were a few younger guys in the room - and gals - and I'm guessing a lot of them start out hunting comics and wind up being lulled to the dark side in time. I didn't meet Catrick, but I bet I saw him if he was there.

Jamie Graham being a local guy occasionally sets up at Windy City, but he wasn't there. I don't know if he was at C2E2. Terry used to come as well, so it's not like you don't see killer comics in the room from year to year. Gary C. was there, but he only had pulps and paperbacks, no comics. I say "only" but I'm glad he did as I was able to upgrade a few Beacon pb's and early Avons.  (thumbsu

Edited by PopKulture

2 hours ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

This reminds me of the Glendale paperback show which is out here once a year. Real old time comics show feel with good prices and an older attendee demographic. Your show is bigger and with better material from the looks of things though. I do like the wide variety at these shows and they are certainly more fun than a SDCC these days for the fan who likes to read his or her comics, pulps or paperbacks.

Great material for sure, as related to paperbacks, but there are still boxes of books under many dealer's tables with one or two dollar books. I bought a dozen or so Popular Library's for a buck a piece that looked really nice. This Midwestern boy has never been to the Glendale show or SDCC, but I would tend to agree with your assertion about fans who actually read their wares! 

This show looks amazing. I was pretty hot on pulps for a year or two awhile back, and this looks like the show I was hoping to see but never quite saw when I attended local pulp shows. The books I saw were a lot more lackluster and a LOT rougher condition-wise.

Curious, who is Gene the comic dealer? I can see a book or two there I wouldn't mind checking out.  :)

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

So glad that you posted this. Thanks! We were stuck at C2E2 and couldn't make it to the Pulp Con. I did meet up with one of the dealers after hours to pick up a cool piece of art which I will post later, but I sure would have liked to box dive at this show. It looks like a blast. And Gene Carpenter set up!

Darn it...

I was at a dinner party hosted by a local publisher and fan and I overheard someone say you might show up. I believe it was perhaps Roger..? Anyway, I was looking forward to meeting you. I kept looking around the room for a tall guy...

Roger is a really great guy and a sincere pleasure to talk to, and although I had seem him over the years at the con here, I never knew he was so active back in the early days of fandom til I started reading some of the older threads with all the Texas and Oklahoma boys reminiscing, especially about OAF (or whatever it is called)!  :idea:

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 11:40 AM, TheWatcher said:

Moondog was set up at the Pulp show. Hopefully he'll post and give us his impression of the show

Gary was indeed in attendance,  but as I mentioned earlier, he had no comics, only paperback and pulps. I bought a nice Captain Future from him and some really nice Beacon Library PB's, as well as a stack of Dell mapbacks.

We were chatting and eventually the conversation turned to ashcans and he was telling me some of the history of their discovery. Truly interesting, and another great guy to sit and talk with.

Gary shared one interesting observation with me: he said he noticed paperback collectors don't want to spend more than ten bucks! Well, he's right: there is a little resistance at that price level. I speculated that it was because there was never that explosive infusion of outside money into the hobby like when George Lucas and Steven Spielberg hit collectables in general or Nic Cage and later Hariri comics...

Edited by PopKulture

4 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

I was at a dinner party hosted by a local publisher and fan and I overheard someone say you might show up. I believe it was perhaps Roger..? Anyway, I was looking forward to meeting you. I kept looking around the room for a tall guy...

Roger is a really great guy and a sincere pleasure to talk to, and although I had seem him over the years at the con here, I never knew he was so active back in the early days of fandom til I started reading some of the older threads with all the Texas and Oklahoma boys reminiscing, especially about OAF (or whatever it is called)!  :idea:

I got there around 8:45. I only knew Roger, Glynn Crain and one other person. I talked with them in the dining room until about 9:30 and then headed back to town. I wish I was a little more prepared for a party and I am so sorry I didn't get to meet you there. 

3 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

I got there around 8:45. I only knew Roger, Glynn Crain and one other person. I talked with them in the dining room until about 9:30 and then headed back to town. I wish I was a little more prepared for a party and I am so sorry I didn't get to meet you there. 

Then we probably just missed you. There's always an auction both Friday and Saturday nights at the con, so a lot of people clear out and head back to the hotel. We lingered this year, but not long enough it seems. I don't know if going forward Doug plans on making Windy City coincide with C2E2 of it just happened by chance, but hopefully we'll have another chance to meet someday. I have done Roundtop a few times, but not for years - who knows? :wishluck:

1 minute ago, PopKulture said:

Then we probably just missed you. There's always an auction both Friday and Saturday nights at the con, so a lot of people clear out and head back to the hotel. We lingered this year, but not long enough it seems. I don't know if going forward Doug plans on making Windy City coincide with C2E2 of it just happened by chance, but hopefully we'll have another chance to meet someday. I have done Roundtop a few times, but not for years - who knows? :wishluck:

Next year C2E2 and WonderCon are on the same weekend - the last weekend in March. 

5 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

Next year C2E2 and WonderCon are on the same weekend - the last weekend in March. 

Hmmm... they never make it easy, do they?

Seems like there's a need for a comic show syndicate meeting like in the Godfather movies where this stuff gets planned out better. For parallelism, instead of passing around a plate of diamond rings and Piaget watches, it could be Operator 5 rings and Hopalong Cassidy watches.  (: