• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention 2018
3 3

99 posts in this topic

Thanks so much for this. It's really jealousy-making lol. So much cool stuff. There used to be some booths like this at the Fred Greenberg shows in NYC, with paperbacks, digests, pulps and hardbacks. I once picked up a signed Arkham 1st Ed. of Ray Bradbury's Dark Carnival in a nice DJ for $30 there - those were the days. 

You can never go wrong with "dollar" Popular Librarys... or cool books at the ten dollar 'limit" either. The cons around here are "Mega" types, all toys and cosplay and a few comic dealers. I'm pretty much limited to ebay these days, where there are still many bargain paperbacks and digests to be had if you dig around but it would be nice to go to a show and smell old paper again , rather than eau de sweaty cosplayer.

Thank you so much for posting all the drool worthy pics! BTW, that wall of Gene's is what he sets up with at the local Shoff shows here in DC, I know he also does Pulpfest. I will have to tell him he is a celebrity now lol

19 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

Thanks so much for this. It's really jealousy-making lol. So much cool stuff. There used to be some booths like this at the Fred Greenberg shows in NYC, with paperbacks, digests, pulps and hardbacks. I once picked up a signed Arkham 1st Ed. of Ray Bradbury's Dark Carnival in a nice DJ for $30 there - those were the days. 

You can never go wrong with "dollar" Popular Librarys... or cool books at the ten dollar 'limit" either. The cons around here are "Mega" types, all toys and cosplay and a few comic dealers. I'm pretty much limited to ebay these days, where there are still many bargain paperbacks and digests to be had if you dig around but it would be nice to go to a show and smell old paper again , rather than eau de sweaty cosplayer.

I run into pbs at flea markets and estate sales fairly often out here. Rarely priced above 5 bucks. I grab the cool cover ones when I see them. I have posted some in my "junk sales" since I've been here but rarely sell them. Same thing with pulps. The crowd here is very comic book focused I guess, 

We have a paperback show once a year here that brings a lot of them out of the woodwork. See pulps, comics, big little books and other interesting paper there as well. It was just last month but I had to miss it to to other obligations.

On 4/9/2018 at 11:25 AM, MrBedrock said:

Next year C2E2 and WonderCon are on the same weekend - the last weekend in March. 

Wow, that's lousy news.  Seems like that will gut WonderCon of many good dealers.

Old Time Seuling Cons

I posted this in the random photos thread but since this thread is talking about how this show is like old time comic shows you can actually look at one yourself. Alan Light posted his 8MM movies from the 1971 and 1973 Seuling shows. I was at the 1973 show as a youngster so this brought back lots of memories for me. What struck me in the viewing is how uncrowded it was and relaxed for that matter!

ProgramCover1973.jpg.6e7179e664bee0124542f1c090e9b945.jpg

1 hour ago, nearmint said:
On 4/9/2018 at 1:25 PM, MrBedrock said:

Next year C2E2 and WonderCon are on the same weekend - the last weekend in March. 

Wow, that's lousy news.  Seems like that will gut WonderCon of many good dealers.

It sounds like most of the East Coast and Houston area dealers are going to C2E2.

1 hour ago, ThousandHeadedMan said:

I'm primarily a Lovecraft collector and have been looking for nice copies of these for awhile--just picked up the pair at Windy City, which really is an incredible show...

5ad21a1049701_AstoundingFeb36copy.thumb.jpg.2fb0a252cc094124743ccd086b9fcb66.jpg5ad21a1f1ef73_AstoundingJune36copy.thumb.jpg.206ba880e411037410d0c07623f201a5.jpg

What a nice, targeted pick-up! To know exactly what you're hunting and finding it.  (thumbsu

5 hours ago, PopKulture said:

What a nice, targeted pick-up! To know exactly what you're hunting and finding it.  (thumbsu

It's definitely tough to stay focused in a room chock full of vintage pulps, first edition hardcovers, paperbacks, comics, and art!

Richard, that's an amazing cover--huge congrats!

A few photos:

-preeminent dealer in rare SF and Fantasy books, manuscripts, all all manner of amazing stuff--the great Lloyd Currey.

-Roger Hill, Glynn Crain, and yours truly (the latter two ogling an incredible Finlay interior) in front of Brian Emrich's art booth... not sure who took this one.

--Todd H.

IMG_4420.jpg.5a721c7058fac1999ac3dcc22f7e6795.jpgIMG_4443.thumb.JPG.16747220a8118693168b3a75cc97df01.JPG

Edited by ThousandHeadedMan

On 4/14/2018 at 8:13 AM, ThousandHeadedMan said:

I'm primarily a Lovecraft collector these days and have been looking for nice copies of these for awhile--just picked up the pair at Windy City, which really is an incredible show...

5ad21a1049701_AstoundingFeb36copy.thumb.jpg.2fb0a252cc094124743ccd086b9fcb66.jpg5ad21a1f1ef73_AstoundingJune36copy.thumb.jpg.206ba880e411037410d0c07623f201a5.jpg

Beautiful looking copies of both those books.  I’m finding myself getting a decent number of Lovecraft pulps the past few years... the problem is once you have the easier ones, you’ve developed a taste for them, and they start getting harder to find very fast.

On 4/8/2018 at 11:27 PM, PopKulture said:

This booth is a must-stop for serious readers. These guys are the nicest guys to talk to and they boast encyclopedic knowledge whatever the genre: sleaze, JD, hard-boiled - you name it. They made sure I had my reading homework as I freely admitted I'm too focused on the cover art and have too long ignored those little things inside: words.

[46493156.f1de3f8d.1024.jpg

46493160.f38abc0a.1024.jpg

Great guy.  Sold him a pile of paperbacks!

On 4/9/2018 at 1:13 PM, PopKulture said:

Gary was indeed in attendance,  but as I mentioned earlier, he had no comics, only paperback and pulps. I bought a nice Captain Future from him and some really nice Beacon Library PB's, as well as a stack of Dell mapbacks.

We were chatting and eventually the conversation turned to ashcans and he was telling me some of the history of their discovery. Truly interesting, and another great guy to sit and talk with.

Gary shared one interesting observation with me: he said he noticed paperback collectors don't want to spend more than ten bucks! Well, he's right: there is a little resistance at that price level. I speculated that it was because there was never that explosive infusion of outside money into the hobby like when George Lucas and Steven Spielberg hit collectables in general or Nic Cage and later Hariri comics...

I've attended the show every year for the past 10 years or so (except last year) never as a dealer but just as a fan poking around looking for something cool.  My old pal and partner, Bob Weinberg, always set up.  His widow, Phyliss was there this year so it was nice going to dinner with her.  I was planning on going with another old pal, Larry Charet, when Carbo called me and asked if i wanted his tables.  It turned out he had booths at both C2E2 and the Pulp con and couldn't do both.  So because of Mike's generosity I gave Larry a table and I had one too. I had a bunch of pulps, paperbacks and hardcovers that i had accumulated over the years and thought I'd give it a try.  All I can say is that a show like this is a labor of love.  I don't love Wizard World.  I don't love C2E2, but I loved this show.  I will never get rich doing this show, but it was a blast to see a ton of old friends and to inspect some merchandise I may never see again.  But it's weird to sell an Elmer Gantry 3rd printing for $10.  It's the first Avon (I believe) paperback.  It's an important book.  10 bucks.  Sheesh.  But that's the hobby.  Kinda like comics in the 60s and early 70s.  I'm just glad the weather sucked so bad that i couldn't play golf!