• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Age (Marvel’s News Magazine)

32 posts in this topic

Was curious if anyone collected Marvel Age and had thoughts on what issues (if any) are sought after.  This was one of the titles I subscribed to when I collected as a kid but never read a single one of these.  Any generate much interest besides 12 (Secret Wars Cover) and 41 (Stan Lee Photo Cover)?

I know there are some "first appearances" like #97 that generate interest - that issue has a cover and preview of Darkhawk #1. #99 has something about the Infinity Gauntlet or something? and #91 is a Thanos cover. 

There are other preview issues I think that have some interest, like #25 has Rocket Raccoon on the cover. #19 has Spidey's black suit on the cover plus a preview of the Star Comics line. #82 has a Cable preview before NM #87. 

Annual #4 has an actual first appearance I think - there's a unique 4 page story, not just preview pages of a different comic, introducing Damage Control. It also has a cool Art Adams cover.

#90 has a McFarlane Spidey cover. 

And some of the later issues are pretty hard to find. 

41 seems to be the big key so far, but I do think some others have room. #8 is also a Stan Lee cover - drawn, rather than a photo - and there's a long interview with him inside. That one hasn't quite taken off yet, but I think it has potential. 

I've sold a few issues of Marvel Age for decent money (the Darkhawk one, the Liefeld Cable sketch in 82). I have a bunch more to sell. Will see how they do.

I have a stack of Marvel Vision to get rid of as well. This was basically the successor to Marvel Age, which included a lot of upcoming info, but also an order form, as Marvel made a move to do their own distribution for a time in the '90s. Not sure if there are any issues there that have potential.

I think Marvel Age is starting to pop...

Marvel Age #38 has a Masters of the Universe appearance that sometimes does well, and #129 has an Adam Hughes cover.

The Annuals (with #4 mentioned above) are potentially big, as they mostly contain comic stories (rather than news and articles), with lots of key characters (Spidey, Wolverine, etc.) and some first appearances.

I'm an OSPG Advisor, and have recommended that these be added to the Guide. That might give them a bit of a credibility boost, which could send them chugging along... I suggested that they were essentially the 1980s/1990s version of FOOM, which is in the Guide, and has jumped substantially in recent years. The folks at Overstreet said that they would consider adding them... I guess we'll see in a couple of months.

A few of the issues have short Marvels sections by Alex Ross.

Can't quite remember if they were then reprinted together as Marvels 0?

Edited by Ken Aldred

Some other notable issues

Marvel Age #6 - Cloak & Dagger / Magik / Hawkeye 

Marvel Age #7 - Marvel Tails Preview (1st Spider-Ham ?)

Marvel Age #88 - Guardians of the Galaxy Preview (Old team) 

Marvel Age #89 - New Warriors #1 Preview (1st Night Thrasher ?)

Marvel Age #98 - Toxic Avenger Preview (1st Toxic Avenger ?)

Marvel Age #100 - Sleepwalker #1 Preview (1st Sleepwalker ?)

Marvel Age #102 - X-Force Preview (1st X-Force ?)

Marvel Age #117 - Marvel 2009 Preview (1st 2099 characters ?)

Marvel Age #138 - Cable & Deadpool 

There are more issues with significance but I will write about those another time.  Feel free to verify the 1st appearances (Cameo or Predates) as they could be wrong.  

18 hours ago, Juggernaut said:

There are more issues with significance but I will write about those another time.  Feel free to verify the 1st appearances (Cameo or Predates) as they could be wrong.  

New Mutants 100 came out before the X-force issue of Marvel Age.

On 4/11/2018 at 11:49 AM, Brock said:

Marvel Age #38 has a Masters of the Universe appearance that sometimes does well, and #129 has an Adam Hughes cover.

The Annuals (with #4 mentioned above) are potentially big, as they mostly contain comic stories (rather than news and articles), with lots of key characters (Spidey, Wolverine, etc.) and some first appearances.

I'm an OSPG Advisor, and have recommended that these be added to the Guide. That might give them a bit of a credibility boost, which could send them chugging along... I suggested that they were essentially the 1980s/1990s version of FOOM, which is in the Guide, and has jumped substantially in recent years. The folks at Overstreet said that they would consider adding them... I guess we'll see in a couple of months.

What's the reason for Marvel Age not appearing on Overstreet?

I'm not sure there's a reason per se... it just never got in to the Guide in the first place. Maybe in the beginning, it seemed too much like a newsletter. Although FOOM and Amazing World of DC Comics are in the OSPG, a lot of others aren't. Once the Marvel Age series ended, it kind of fell off the radar.

Now I think the growing interest in Copper titles, and in first appearances, and the (admittedly small) group that seeks first "mentions" of key characters are all combining to ignite interest.

Am I understanding this correctly? You bought / collected an in house produced news / promo comic and never read it?

Why? (shrug)

Edited by Logan510

On 4/11/2018 at 2:49 PM, Brock said:

A few notes about the inception of MA from one Chuck Rozanski here (scroll all the way to bottom of entry):

In a nutshell, MA was distributed free of charge in its early years so if im not mistaken that is also the reason why it was excluded from OSPG back then. 

And as the article above demonstrates, there have been dealers that have been speculating on these since the dawn of time (or close)

On 4/11/2018 at 6:34 PM, Juggernaut said:

Marvel Age #87 - Danny Ketch Ghost Rider... perhaps?

Back in 2009, I had a tattered run of these that I pulled all the Hembeck pages (plus the Annuals) and had them bound. Each 2 page spread is bound on the left and folds out to the right.Scan_20180530b.jpg.42c747dbe4ff11d54380ac24bcff3eb5.jpg

Edited by 00comics