• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Age (Marvel’s News Magazine)

32 posts in this topic

Preparing some auctions today, I think I may have identified Peter David's first credited professional comic work. He is the Assistant Editor and Designer of Marvel Age #1. (He was in Marvel's sales department when he was given a shot at writing by James Owsley – now known as Christopher Priest.)

More Marvel Age finds. Assuming you're of the school that previews are first appearances:

88 includes a Guardians of the Galaxy preview that includes Taserface, so that would be a first.

100 includes a Sleepwalker preview and article, published before the recognized first appearance in #1.

3 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

I'm still trying to collect the run. I need to read back through them. It's really interesting to read commentary from editors, writers and artists at that time.

I just picked up one these , never read them before,  the commentary is interesting for sure. McFarlane's answers to these questions are pretty funny. 

78138547_IMAG04362.thumb.jpg.e8a9cd5ede817c1112d9abd47a4d3f26.jpg

On 5/30/2018 at 8:15 AM, 00comics said:

Back in 2009, I had a tattered run of these that I pulled all the Hembeck pages (plus the Annuals) and had them bound. Each 2 page spread is bound on the left and folds out to the right.Scan_20180530b.jpg.42c747dbe4ff11d54380ac24bcff3eb5.jpg

Pretty neat! Hembeck had some great running gags over the years. He single-handedly kept a semblance of focus on Brother Voodoo (albeit as the butt of jokes) through the 80s.  Thankfully, Marvel figured out how to bring him into the New Avengers.

Check out House of Hem #1 (2015) with excerpts from some of his best work or the era.

House of Hem #1 (2015)

clean.jpg

On 4/11/2018 at 2:49 PM, Brock said:

I'm an OSPG Advisor, and have recommended that these be added to the Guide. That might give them a bit of a credibility boost, which could send them chugging along... I suggested that they were essentially the 1980s/1990s version of FOOM, which is in the Guide, and has jumped substantially in recent years. The folks at Overstreet said that they would consider adding them... I guess we'll see in a couple of months.

Just to circle back here, it looks like the did take my advice on this, and Marvel Age now appears in the Guide (it's on page 814 this year).

They break out the following issues as "key" or noteworthy: 1, 10 (Star Wars), 12 (Black Costume), 16 (New Mutants), 25 (Rocket Raccoon), 38 (Masters of the Universe), 41 (Stan Lee), 76 (She-Hulk), 90 (McFarlane Spider-Man), 91 (Thanos), 97 (Darkhawk), 99 (Black Panther) and 138 (Cable & Deadpool).

On 10/2/2018 at 8:47 PM, Aweandlorder said:

Wonder if this was ever mentioned post the movie hype

Sorry, I apologize I should have followed up. 

Once again, it is up the comic community to determine the designation. (Preview, 1st Appearance, Cameo, Pre-dates, etc....)  All I do is just give the information. 

Marvel Age #7 - Marvel Tails Preview (1st Spider-Ham ?) 

Scan_20181016.png

Scan_20181016 (2).png

Scan_20181016 (3).png