• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Up for grabs...
1 1

18 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. I mentioned in an eariler thread about revealing the whereabouts of collection that was once an obsession of mine to track down. 

After talking to the now owner of it. I realize I won't be able to buy the whole thing. His unrealistic expectations are too much to deal with. Fortunately Ive been allowed to go through and pull a few boxes. After 10-15 boxes these last few weeks Im pretty much tapped out and want to share the rest with any locals that can make it over. 

The collection is in the basement of "on the hunt" antiques in waterford Mi. Roughly 200 long boxes left. The owner wants way to much for it all but if youre lucky he'll let you snag a few boxes. A good mix of stuff. Mostly bronze age and up now as most of the silver has been picked by myself and my partner. Still a lot to be had. My poor home is filled to the brim though, so my loss is your gain.

20180402_164906.jpg

20180402_164928.jpg

That's not too far from me.  May have to take a look.  Trying to get back into the actual collecting aspect and want to try to fill my gaps.  I would be looking for GI Joe and Spider-Man (Amazing, Spectacular, Web) related books primarily.  Do you think they would still have those types of books?

8 minutes ago, Capn17 said:

That's not too far from me.  May have to take a look.  Trying to get back into the actual collecting aspect and want to try to fill my gaps.  I would be looking for GI Joe and Spider-Man (Amazing, Spectacular, Web) related books primarily.  Do you think they would still have those types of books?

Yes. For sure there is 2-3 longs of joes and tons of bronze/copper spiderman still.

24 minutes ago, Maverickcomics said:

Yes. For sure there is 2-3 longs of joes and tons of bronze/copper spiderman still.

Cool.  Going to take a trip this weekend.

Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Capn17

How much is he quoting for the last 200 long boxes.  I'm contemplating a 200 long box purchase so just curious how the two deals compare.

2 hours ago, Maverickcomics said:

Hello everyone. I mentioned in an eariler thread about revealing the whereabouts of collection that was once an obsession of mine to track down. 

After talking to the now owner of it. I realize I won't be able to buy the whole thing. His unrealistic expectations are too much to deal with. Fortunately Ive been allowed to go through and pull a few boxes. After 10-15 boxes these last few weeks Im pretty much tapped out and want to share the rest with any locals that can make it over. 

The collection is in the basement of "on the hunt" antiques in waterford Mi. Roughly 200 long boxes left. The owner wants way to much for it all but if youre lucky he'll let you snag a few boxes. A good mix of stuff. Mostly bronze age and up now as most of the silver has been picked by myself and my partner. Still a lot to be had. My poor home is filled to the brim though, so my loss is your gain.

20180402_164906.jpg

20180402_164928.jpg

Where is the guy storing these? A space that large isn't cheap and adds up awfully fast.

Too far for me, but if he was hoarding in the early 90's (evidenced by a long box of "Nam) that tells me that copper collectors looking for mid-90's low print run stuff and newsstand copy collectors would probably have fun with that.

What is he asking?

The owner of the shop is Ron. He's a super nice guy but dosent know Jack about comics. Two years ago when the original owner passed I was the first person to get to go through the collection. Back then it was chalk full of stuff and I figured he had around 300 long boxes. I offered 10k and he just laughed. He figured a dollar a book. I spent many weekends trying to explain the work that goes into processing a collection of that size and the hit you take on the price when selling bulk. 

It was obvious we would not reach an agreement on the whole lot but I managed to talk him into letting me cherry pick at 200 a longbox.? I was more then happy. He eventually caught on that i knew what I was doing and cut me off. 

Last weekend I got back down there and tried another offer on the lot to no avail. He said he turned down 60k which is total bs. So again I picked around 10-15 longs for 1500. 

I think anyone here would be hard pressed to talk some sense into him on the total value of the lot but if you have the time to dig it might be worth it.

@electricprune Yeah he has a small area on the main floor with some books but im sure if you ask you could go downstairs and poke around. He wont give you nearly as much of a break on price though. Most of the books were priced/tagged accordingly back in the day by the previous owner who was a local dealer for many years. The value always comes in buying bulk imo.

19 hours ago, Maverickcomics said:

It was obvious we would not reach an agreement on the whole lot but I managed to talk him into letting me cherry pick at 200 a longbox.? I was more then happy. He eventually caught on that i knew what I was doing and cut me off. 

Last weekend I got back down there and tried another offer on the lot to no avail. He said he turned down 60k which is total bs. So again I picked around 10-15 longs for 1500. 

Least you got the 2nd batch of cherrypicked boxes for cheaper than the first batch...if you keep going back periodically, maybe you'll eventually get it all at a decent price :bigsmile: