• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spawn 1 spine defect

9 posts in this topic

Got a perfect flat copy of spawn 1 I wanna get graded.

The spine though has some white spots on it that looks like its from just opening the book.

Is the cover stock on this book thicker and is this a normal thing for this book? 

Would cgc grade this lower because of this?

20180410_174026.jpg

20180410_174019.jpg

The white crease directly on the vertex of the spine is a problem that makes it somewhat difficult to get a 9.8 with Spawn #1. I guess CGC does not consider it bindery as it's happens from opening the book. I took a look at my copy in 9.8 and, though there is some white showing, it is not as bad as your example. I don't think this will grade a 9.8. I would also think a press would not help, maybe even make it worse. 

That's very common with early Image books.

I'm not sure how the CGC would treat it under current guidelines, which seem to be quite harsh, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't affect the book if everything else was perfect; however, I will say that the corner looks a little concerning. I'd have to have the comic in-hand before I'd be comfortable giving my final word. Those pictures greatly magnify those sort of problems and make it's worse than what it usually looks like in-hand. I say this because I've graded and submitted hundreds of Spawn comics throughout the entire run. Those of you who know me know that it's kind of my specialty. ;)

...and I agree with Bob. Stay away from the press, especially if it's already as flat as you described.

1 hour ago, violentluke said:

Maybe, was hopin though i had a good candidate on a book i already owned

Spawn 1 is one of those books that, for valuation, you really need a 9.8 . It's worth a try to submit in a larger group for a prescreen but not on it's own.

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Spawn 1 is one of those books that, for valuation, you really need a 9.8 . It's worth a try to submit in a larger group for a prescreen but not on it's own.

Got it, trying to take a shortcut and i know that generally never works.