• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 March 22-24, 2019, It's Still Never Too Early or to late
3 3

120 posts in this topic

On 3/23/2019 at 7:55 AM, Drbearsec said:

Onsite drop off and grading was a nightmare. 4.5 hour waits.  Had to carry a ton of books around while I waited 3.5 hours in virtual line hell after waiting an hour to register in line.  This is after doing all the pre reg online.  Just awful customer experience.

I went Sunday morning as I figure it woudl be slow, but I got stuck in Katie Cook's line.  When I got there at about 11:30 they said it was an hour wait.  I decided to forgo it and do it another time . . . oh well.

26 minutes ago, SSkufan said:

I went Sunday morning as I figure it woudl be slow, but I got stuck in Katie Cook's line.  When I got there at about 11:30 they said it was an hour wait.  I decided to forgo it and do it another time . . . oh well.

The waits were far better Sunday for CGC.  It was that first crushing day.  Not sure if it was a system issue or something else  or people with two many books etc.  they really need a separate check in for those who do it online.  Would have made life far easier 

Modern subs:

Who doesn’t love this cover? The Crossed Horrific Homage variants are awesome. Hope to get a couple more graded eventually. It would be nice to have a 9.8 but I think the 9.6 suits it, since it matches the highest graded copies of the original. 

85E8CF20-574C-433E-B9A2-194AD62C23EA.thumb.jpeg.cf572556d62ac6e202fb8c68cf3c92e9.jpeg

Of course had to get this Dell Otto beauty the slab treatment. 

5A5FA543-D583-4A90-9A27-238E8370F592.thumb.jpeg.f8da66cc353d173fdcc8517e4a6bbdcc.jpeg

The first variants I started collecting were True Blood’s. Huge fan of the show so hunting all those was fun. I’d like to create a registry set. I have every regular issue and just about every variant. Most are easy 9.8’s considering that thicker paper stock for the covers. 

0C015280-0F1E-418C-B745-778CA75443C1.thumb.jpeg.e7fedee74203fcc61a732433754daf16.jpeg

On 3/24/2019 at 2:41 PM, manetteska said:

C2E2 purchases. Not pictured: run of Spawn from 125-232 for $1 each. Missing a couple homage covers but everything else is there (including 174 and 175).

A3B7556B-1188-4121-843E-F688DC2B989A.jpeg

D87B9714-C903-4DBB-A735-AD17492440FB.jpeg

Nice pick ups!  Funny that I was also looking for Savage Dragon 102, but didn’t see it anywhere.  I even picked up a Famous Funnies too - but a much lower value one.  I discovered Invisible Scarlet O’neil character was created by someone who shares a last name with my mother, so I thought I’d pick this up.  I got to meet Ryan Ottley and had him sign some covers I like and my favorite page in the series.  As a parent, I’ve always appreciated the family storylines in this series. This page brings back memories of those early parent days with Ryan’s great art.  Maybe someday I’ll have the budget to seek out the original art for this page.

5BC96036-DA64-4A39-AA43-F8BF92256AB3.jpeg

96834FEC-EEBE-49FF-B78A-3D756DEA2A4B.jpeg

D1809E9A-1830-4AD2-8671-32176FDB57A0.jpeg

3C9C99FB-D0FE-47A7-91F3-1E88352508E1.jpeg

Thought I could share about my first experience at C2E2 and CGC drop-off submission and signature series grading. I don't have many complaints as the employees were very helpful and courteous, but I'll get to my complaint below.

I printed out a shipping label a week before and stopped by the CGC booth at around 1:30 on Saturday for on-site drop off. I didn't know that you were supposed to go to the kiosk to enter the virtual line first, so I went straight to the counter and waited for a few minutes for an employee to free up. I was then redirected toward the virtual line, which wasn't a big deal as there was no one in the virtual line. The drop-off was incredibly easy and took a minute or two to take my books and verify the shipping list was correct.

Now my main complaint in general would be about the lack of direction/clarity in the process. I'm glad I got to do this once as I will be ready next time, so hopefully this post will help any first timers. I already mentioned the mixup about the virtual line, but that only wasted maybe five minutes of my time. However, I probably wasted 30 minutes waiting for a CGC witness. I knew that I needed one for SS, so I got a form and filled it out while waiting in a line for a CGC witness. As soon as it was my turn, I asked for a witness for Chris Claremont and George Perez. I was told that Claremont was only doing a private signing for CGC SS and George Perez had a witness already at his table. Would have been nice to know both of these facts at the CGC table before waiting in line. And when I went to George Perez's line, it was incredibly long. I knew there was no way I would be able to wait in the line since I had other autographs/photo ops I already paid for in a few hours, so I thought I would come back Sunday morning for George.

The really cool part of the story and a testament to George Perez is that I walked back to Artist Alley after my David Tennant Photo Op at 6 PM and saw George's line. There was a "cap" at maybe twenty people in front of me, but George said he was planning on signing until 7 PM/the end of the con. So I waited in line for maybe twenty-thirty minutes and got George to sign my books. I'm sure he was incredibly tired, but I'm sure he didn't want to disappoint any of his fans. I took my books to the CGC booth for SS at the end of the day and got my books submitted.

So brief summary - George Perez has even more of my respect, the CGC drop-off was incredibly quick and painless, zero complaints about the CGC staff, but additional instructions prior to CGC submitting (whether it was where to go or who already had witnesses) would have been great. Especially since there was only so much time and so much to do, every second counted. But overall I enjoyed my time and plan on coming back next year.