• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage May auction
5 5

346 posts in this topic

My Top 3 in this auciton

1-Jetta #6 Mile High..WHITE PAGES....Overstreet is way off on this one price wise and always has been, this is the best one I have ever seen, a true classic comic book, forget the guide, its worth easy $2500 if not more

2-Star Ranger Funnies 9.8 WHITE PAGES Mile High 1938...even if you bought it with a time machine, its not gonna get better...for those who want a "example"  of a gerber "scarce" in impossible condition  and want a Centaur...well this is it, a highlight of any collection, once in a lifetime for that book.

3-Smash #42 9.4 MH, First Lady Luck, what a great  classic cover/issue..highest graded.

Edited by Mmehdy

16 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

My Top 3 in this auciton

2-Star Ranger Funnies 9.8 WHITE PAGES Mile High 1938...even if you bought it with a time machine, its not gonna get better...for those who want a "example"  of a gerber "scarce" in impossible condition  and want a Centaur...well this is it, a highlight of any collection, once in a lifetime for that book.

Great book. But this is 3rd time in a year it’s been auctioned...

14 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Looking for a home, to a true collector...it just takes one, I don't know how rare original Star Ranger art is or how collectable it is, but HA has an original art page 1 to Star Ranger #6 1937 at only $110.00 it might make a great addition to your collection at a super price. It a Wild West Junior page by Charles Biro...this is the type of art that gets lost among the 1600 plus items.

46 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Looks like it will have to go some to beat the $8K it sold for last time.

57 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

Looking for a home, to a true collector...it just takes one, I don't know how rare original Star Ranger art is or how collectable it is, but HA has an original art page 1 to Star Ranger #6 1937 at only $110.00 it might make a great addition to your collection at a super price. It a Wild West Junior page by Charles Biro...this is the type of art that gets lost among the 1600 plus items.

I’ve been on it :)

On 5/6/2018 at 6:55 PM, tth2 said:

Assuming that you're not this irrational, what's the difference with submitting a proxy bid with your max, and letting it ride?  If no one else is willing to bid higher, then you win, possibly below your max.  If someone else is willing to bid higher, then you lose, just like you would've done in the live bidding assuming you have good self-control. 

Setting a max bid would tend to work only if you have a very limited number of books that you want to win in an auction.  After all, if you have a large number of books you want in an auction, not everybody is like you with deep pockets who would be able to bid to the max on all of the books they were interested in.

Perfect case in mind was the Jon Berk Auction from last year where I had many books that I would have like to win, but at the same time, none of them was an absolute requirement.  This gave me the luxury of using CC's 3-minute extended bidding time to do some on the spot analysis to determine if I should toss in another bid or not, depending upon what the current price on the book was at the time.

Ended up with 1 book that I had targeted from the get go and 3 books that I had not even thought about until the auction had hit the final bell and gone into the extended bidding time.  Really glad that I picked up the 3 books because every time I look at them, it still seems like such a nice surprise to me.  :luhv:  (thumbsu

I just noticed the unusual structure of this auction:

Thursday Platinum session 1 pm eastern

Thursday Comics session 3 pm eastern

Friday OA session 1 pm eastern

Saturday Comics session 1 pm eastern

I can't recall them having two sessions on one day before as they do on Thursday this time.  Until I checked this morning, I thought they were having the first regular comics session on Friday.

On 5/6/2018 at 9:55 PM, tth2 said:

Assuming that you're not this irrational, what's the difference with submitting a proxy bid with your max, and letting it ride?  If no one else is willing to bid higher, then you win, possibly below your max.  If someone else is willing to bid higher, then you lose, just like you would've done in the live bidding assuming you have good self-control. 

This strategy is fine for a single book or a couple books but breaks down for people on a budget interested in picking up a few books out of many that they are interested in.

Putting in bids on a couple dozen books might result in winnings beyond one's budget as auction companies don't allow you to cancel bids.

33 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

This strategy is fine for a single book or a couple books but breaks down for people on a budget interested in picking up a few books out of many that they are interested in.

Putting in bids on a couple dozen books might result in winnings beyond one's budget as auction companies don't allow you to cancel bids.

Budget?  I thought we were talking about Gator?hm

Has anyone ever figured out how long an average lot takes to hammer in a typical Heritage auction? I had always assumed it takes about 1 minute.. ie it takes HA 90 minutes to reach lot #90... Is this about right?

Edited by clarkkentdds

According to the catalog:  "Lots are sold at an approximate rate of 90 lots per hour, but it is not uncommon to sell 60 lots or 125 lots in any given hour."

Two things tend to drive it:  On high-dollar books, the auctioneers tend to go more slowly, trying to coax some additional bids -- particularly if the book seems to be underperforming expectations.  And then, of course, it depends on how much live bidding there is on a lot.  That can be hard to predict.  For instance, the Church Pep books attracted a lot of interest and a lot bids prior to the auction, but during the auction, iirc, they did not attract any additional bids.  So, Sandoval went through those lots much faster than I had expected he would.

Edited by Sqeggs

this is a really high quality auction, I will be watching Cindy #23 MH double cover , FC9 Flash Gordon( always liked that book, great covers) MH 9.6 and the Love Tales 36 which took over from human torch 35, MH 9.6 photo cover, great material..good luck everybody..