• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this something CGC will accept?

13 posts in this topic

Hello, 

Just wondering if CGC will accept this for grading.  I was just reading another post wherein a book with some interior page overhang was sent back.  there is maybe like 1/16 inch overhang on the front but the back has raw pages exposed..seems like it was just misaligned before cutting, not really worth anything but its pretty cool. lol.  if they will accept it, is there something i can write in the variant spot to be displayed on the slab?  "cut error" etc.. I just dont know what they can / will or will not display on the slab.  thank you everyone!!

20180411_082513.jpg

20180411_082525.jpg

On 4/11/2018 at 2:50 PM, Tanks85 said:

Hello, 

Just wondering if CGC will accept this for grading.  I was just reading another post wherein a book with some interior page overhang was sent back.  there is maybe like 1/16 inch overhang on the front but the back has raw pages exposed..seems like it was just misaligned before cutting, not really worth anything but its pretty cool. lol.  if they will accept it, is there something i can write in the variant spot to be displayed on the slab?  "cut error" etc.. I just dont know what they can / will or will not display on the slab.  thank you everyone!!

Welcome to the boards! You can ask them directly via the "ask CGC" section of the board linked below:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/23-ask-cgc/

You may want to delete the other duplicate thread you created with a link to this one. Just a suggestion, as duplicate threads in different areas can be considered "spamming", although I don't think that's your intention at all.

That's an interesting miswrap by the way (thumbsu

Edited by Foley
typo

Thank you so much, I didnt know where to put it, and didnt get a response for a day and some, but i know how there are some "dead areas" on some boards where nobody really posts, didnt know if that was the case. also i was looking for a moderator to move it originally, how do i tell who is a moderator or where is a list?  thanks again!  and yeah i  thought it was pretty cool, it would be interesting to get it noted on a label!

ahh i see what you mean, yes the dimensions are still the same.  so when its miswrapped and cut ( showing exposed pages like the back cover) it is still a miswrap, but if it affected the actual dimensions of the book in whole it would be a cut error?  cool! thanks!

EDIT:  and there is a bit of overhang of the front cover, maybe 1/16th in.

Edited by Tanks85

4 hours ago, Tanks85 said:

Thank you so much, I didnt know where to put it, and didnt get a response for a day and some, but i know how there are some "dead areas" on some boards where nobody really posts, didnt know if that was the case. also i was looking for a moderator to move it originally, how do i tell who is a moderator or where is a list?  thanks again!  and yeah i  thought it was pretty cool, it would be interesting to get it noted on a label!

No worries at all, and yeah, some areas of the boards get more traffic than others. If you want a moderator to move something for you, your best bet is to click on the "report post" option in the top right of the post itself (screenshot below). You'll need to have your mouse hovering over the post for it to appear though. A box will pop up for you to leave a note where you can just ask them to move the topic.

report.thumb.png.b120fd64da2791bc795e4308ca8ba5e8.png

10 hours ago, Tanks85 said:

ahh i see what you mean, yes the dimensions are still the same.  so when its miswrapped and cut ( showing exposed pages like the back cover) it is still a miswrap, but if it affected the actual dimensions of the book in whole it would be a cut error?  cool! thanks!

Here are some of my mis-wraps. See how the dimensions are still correct? 
miswrap_zps2e319085.jpg

Scan-130821-0002_zpsb49b3c91.jpg

Scan-130821-0001_zpscd01855b.jpg

Edited by BlowUpTheMoon

As you may or may not know, miscuts and manufacturing errors are much more common than most folks realize. The real problem is that it takes the graders longer to grade the book because they have to figure out the extent of the manufacturing flaw(s) before they can even think about grading the book (I remember grading a book that took at least an hour to evaluate due to an extensive amount of manufacturing flaws). In addition, the book will likely receive a green label, which makes it less desirable to many collectors regardless of the grade.

The problem with covers that overhang is that if there is too much overhang, the cover will bend and get damaged in the holder when the comic shifts inside. Those are books that would get rejected. Probably talking 1/4" or more. Your copy may have little enough overhang that it's fine. I'd ask. You may have to send the book in to get looked at though.

Edited by Philflound