• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sgt Fury Keys besides #1 and #13?

21 posts in this topic

4 is the death of Junior Jupiter. This was considered huge for a long time.

Image result for Sgt. Fury #4 marvel

Death of Pamela Hawley  Sgt.Fury's girlfriend.

Image result for sgt. fury death pam 18

I have been reading the Sgt.Fury Marvel Masterworks and these stories have great art and action. I have been pleasantly surprised. They hold up well for their age.

10 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I have been reading the Sgt.Fury Marvel Masterworks and these stories have great art and action. I have been pleasantly surprised. They hold up well for their age.

the first ten issues are masterful !!

In Mexico, Sgt. Fury kept going after they ran out of US books to reprint, so they just made stuff up. I have an issue which uses the exact plot from #5, except instead of Strucker, it's a hot female assassin wearing a late 60's style mini-dress and wielding a sword. 

Not a key, but it should be!

Edited by Crimebuster

1 hour ago, Crimebuster said:

In Mexico, Sgt. Fury kept going after they ran out of US books to reprint, so they just made stuff up. I have an issue which uses the exact plot from #5, except instead of Strucker, it's a hot female assassin wearing a late 60's style mini-dress and wielding a sword. 

Pics? :popcorn:

4 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Pics? :popcorn:

I'm pretty sure women didn't dress like this in 1943, but... what's a little anachronism between friends?

32nGJQm.jpg

gTafJBS.jpg

MjDX7Ig.jpg

ajzOFvT.jpg

I don't now how long these bootleg, out of continuity issues were produced, but I gather it was quite a while, because I have a much later issue - #262! - which also features Fury encountering some out of place women, this time resistance agents helping him. 

Mexican Fury was fighting a very different war than American Fury!

Edited by Crimebuster

On 4/12/2018 at 12:41 PM, Crimebuster said:

I love those Mexican made issues of Sgt. Fury and Spider-man.  

On 4/11/2018 at 4:24 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:

IIRC the death of Pam Hawley was the first time Marvel killed a character and it really hurt.  Junior Juniper looked expendable from the start, and killed so early his death was scripted and drawn before the first issue even hit the stands.   Pam was somebody the readers had an investment in.   And note how the cover is stylistically similar to the cover of Spider-man 121.  

Just now, bluechip said:

IIRC the death of Pam Hawley was the first time Marvel killed a character and it really hurt.  Junior Juniper looked expendable from the start, and killed so early his death was scripted and drawn before the first issue even hit the stands.   Pam was somebody the readers had an investment in.   And note how the cover is stylistically similar to the cover of Spider-man 121.  

I concur. Losing Pam was a heartbreaker. Reading this series now and wow I put it as the third best series in the Marvel Silver Age.

With FF Lee and Kirby and Spider-Man 1-39 Lee and Ditko above it.

These Silver Age Furys have been a huge surprise.

I am on issue 40 now and want more! (thumbsu

Just now, ComicConnoisseur said:

I concur. Losing Pam was a heartbreaker. Reading this series now and wow I put it as the third best series in the Marvel Silver Age.

Great stuff and hugely undervalued series.  People should not assume we'll never see a wartime Fury film.   If Obama's grampa could be a tank commander in Patton's army, Nick Fury's grampa could've taken over the Howlers after Cap fell into the ice.

On 4/20/2018 at 3:15 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:

it was darn sure my 3rd fave behind the very two you mention [tho' i flip them].

9 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

it was darn sure my 3rd fave behind the very two you mention [tho' i flip them].

Just discovering Ayers art as well. (thumbsu 

Just found out he had a 10 year run on this. That has to be close to a record and one of the best kept secrets in comics! 

Some Ayers.

Image result for  Sgt. fury 38  Sgt Fury Vol 1 38

On 4/20/2018 at 4:15 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:

i actually learned a bit of German language at one time from Sgt Fury ...VAS IT LOS ??????

16 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Just discovering Ayers art as well. (thumbsu 

Just found out he had a 10 year run on this. That has to be close to a record and one of the best kept secrets in comics! 

as a war comics guy of course i loved Fury's and as i mentioned before ... the first ten issues are BRILLIANT ,... actually the first 20 issues (worship)