• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

9.6 Raw graded copy: mildew, foxing, mold / printing defect?

3 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

I really need someones help with this. I bought a Savage Sword of Conan which was graded by the vendor as a NM+(9.6) . Everything was great until I opened the splash page. I am not sure if it is mildew or mold /foxing or a printing error. I have attached photos of the issue in question and put a normal copy as well for you to compare.

My 2 questions are:

1. Should this mildew or whatever: is it allowed on a 9.6?

2. If it is mildew I am guessing it will just get worse. Would you ask for a refund at this point and go hunting for another copy? This is on the splash page which is definitely a center piece of this issue. 

Thank yo so much for any help in advance.

image1-1.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image3.jpeg

Non defect 2.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image2.jpeg

Edited by Ghazi
Errors corrected

1 hour ago, Ghazi said:

Hi Guys,

I really need someones help with this. I bought a Savage Sword of Conan which was graded by the vendor as a NM+(9.6) . Everything was great until I opened the splash page. I am not sure if it is mildew or mold /foxing or a printing error. I have attached photos of the issue in question and put a normal copy as well for you to compare.

My 2 questions are:

1. Should this mildew or whatever: is it allowed on a 9.6?

2. If it is mildew I am guessing it will just get worse. Would you ask for a refund at this point and go hunting for another copy? This is on the splash page which is definitely a center piece of this issue. 

Thank yo so much for any help in advance.

Doesn't look like mildew/mold/foxing. Appears like wet spots, like the paper is wet, a hint of transparency or thinning at the spots. Could it be oil droplets? My guess is some liquid that drizzled on the book or manufactured that way, the roll of paper used to print the pages already having that prior to production of the book.

12 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Doesn't look like mildew/mold/foxing. Appears like wet spots, like the paper is wet, a hint of transparency or thinning at the spots. Could it be oil droplets? My guess is some liquid that drizzled on the book or manufactured that way, the roll of paper used to print the pages already having that prior to production of the book.

Thank you so much James I really really appreciate you letting me know! Have a great day :) Was totally lost on this one!