• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

And just what in the name of God is this madness for $3000 to $9000?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Well...my humble opinion is they should not sell at those levels. But the one in an unreserved auction that started at $9.99 is over a grand now with just under three days to go. So it appears that a good number of collectors value the book far higher than I would. But market value is what people will pay. And we'll know in three days what that is right now. 

8 hours ago, PovertyRow said:

Looking at the Sold listings the highest in 9.8 was $2026. One listed at a $2500 but an offer of $2000 was accepted according to Watchcount.

That's a lot more "reasonable" than the $5-9,000 asks I'm seeing for BIN prices. Still, for $2000,you can buy an AS 5 CGC 7.5. Or an AS 39 CGC 9.2 and have enough left over for a #40 in CGC 8.5!

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

That's a lot more "reasonable" than the $5-9,000 asks I'm seeing for BIN prices. Still, for $2000,you can buy an AS 5 CGC 7.5. Or an AS 39 CGC 9.2 and have enough left over for a #40 in CGC 8.5!

Yes, but you see, you're thinking intelligently! (thumbsu

They (the variant crowd) are going to make themselves go broke, chasing false profits.   Sure a few will get some cash up front, early on (these are the  smart ones) selling them now.    They know the game.   But this most likely, will not sustain.  These will die down, like most variants do.   Remember late night cable, when there were two guys basically yelling at you to buy their limited edition sports cards, and the asinine prices they were selling them for.   Worth pennies on the dollar now....Similarities?.....

5 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

They (the variant crowd) are going to make themselves go broke, chasing false profits.   Sure a few will get some cash up front, early on (these are the  smart ones) selling them now.    They know the game.   But this most likely, will not sustain.  These will die down, like most variants do.   Remember late night cable, when there were two guys basically yelling at you to buy their limited edition sports cards, and the asinine prices they were selling them for.   Worth pennies on the dollar now....Similarities?.....

The fourth one on the list with the Stan Lee label may have more staying power. I'd seriously consider that due to that signature placement but not at that absurd price! 

14 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

The fourth one on the list with the Stan Lee label may have more staying power. I'd seriously consider that due to that signature placement but not at that absurd price! 

There is no Universe in which whoever buys that will ever recoup their money.  You are hedging a bet there is somebody even more stupid than you.   Think of the awesome (even harder to find) high grade Silver Age comics you can get for that price.   A person can do whatever they want with their money.  I don't get it though.  

19 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

There is no Universe in which whoever buys that will ever recoup their money.  You are hedging a bet there is somebody even more stupid than you.   Think of the awesome (even harder to find) high grade Silver Age comics you can get for that price.   A person can do whatever they want with their money.  I don't get it though.  

"More stupid than you"? I didn't say I'd buy it. I wouldn't do it for anywhere near that price! That price is embarrassing even for the most shameless hucksters on earth! Those funds would be better utilized for an ASM 50 9.4 then perhaps have some leftover for a bronze age 9.8 Spidey or 2

55 minutes ago, c_mkv said:

In a way, these variants are doing some of us s favour. $2,000 for a variant is $2,000 less available to drive up the cost of books I collect and/or want. 

'Atta boy!  Forward thinking like this gets us all a Hulk 181.