• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Jack Kirby Sketch for Sale

15 posts in this topic

Check out this beautiful detailed 8x10 drawing of Captain America done by his creator, the legendary Jack Kirby!

This art is 100% authentic and comes with authenticity documents from the art dealer and a bonus! Also included is a letter from Jack’s wife Roz asking the fan As well! 

This drawing will make an amazing addition to Cap Fan’s collection!

Picture will be packaged safely and securely for shipment!

Offers are welcomed and encouraged. They will be considered!

Asking $4000 or best offer 

B87DE127-99AE-4C8E-AC60-2D2336B73F14.jpeg

Don’t want to jump into conclusions, but this looks fake to me.  Cap’s right arm and hand proportions seem really off.  The perspective of the lines going across his glove and top of the boots all seem off and unnatural.  (There are many more things I can list). I don’t doubt there is a authentic letter from Roz, but the original drawing might’ve been swapped with this one that has been traced. 

4 minutes ago, vodou said:

So all the important comments were blown away by admins? That's a shame. Caveat emptor to the next sucker this thing is put to.

There are or were two separate threads.

6 minutes ago, Bronty said:

There are or were two separate threads.

I think it's "were", I'm not seeing any of my previous comments.

Which tells us a lot about this seller.

Instead of manning up and figuring out how he got taken and how to make that right...he whined to admins to make it all go away so he could put his rookie mistake to somebody else. That alone means I will never do any business with David Hild or eBay handle daveycomics.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Jack-Kirby-Captain-America-Pin-Up-Style-Drawing/263607542361?hash=item3d603be259:g:jQ8AAOSwKBRawnzF

Edited by vodou
clarity

2 minutes ago, vodou said:

I think it's "were", I'm not seeing any of my previous comments.

Which tells us a lot about this seller.

Instead of manning up and figuring out how he got taken and how to make that right...he whined to admins to make it all go away so he could put his rookie mistake to somebody else. That alone means I will never do any business with David Hild or eBay handle daveycomics.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Jack-Kirby-Captain-America-Pin-Up-Style-Drawing/263607542361?hash=item3d603be259:g:jQ8AAOSwKBRawnzF

Easy.   There was a thread in comic art, then he reposted in comic art marketplace almost immediately.

The discussion happened on the comic art thread, which appears to have been pulled entirely, leaving this thread, in comic art marketplace.

I tend to agree as its one seller with two seemingly fake items, but we don't know who got the thread pulled, or whatever.    There were two threads with identical OPs so the mods might have even axed one on principle.

2 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Easy.   There was a thread in comic art, then he reposted in comic art marketplace almost immediately.

The discussion happened on the comic art thread, which appears to have been pulled entirely, leaving this thread, in comic art marketplace.

I tend to agree as its one seller with two seemingly fake items, but we don't know who got the thread pulled, or whatever.    There were two threads with identical OPs so the mods might have even axed one on principle.

The thread in comic art was moved earlier today and was over here in Marketplace for several hours. I posted additionally to it. Realistically that's where most of the negativity was also posted. Anyway, if Hild is no longer responding to the public questions of authorship and has not pulled the eBay auction or this listing, even under that cloud. Again, tells me all I need to know re: David Hild. Sucks for him getting taken in, but he should be trying to return this and that bogus Miller Batman to the place/s he got them from. Not the easier route of passing the buck on.

On 15-4-2018 at 12:34 AM, vodou said:

The thread in comic art was moved earlier today and was over here in Marketplace for several hours. I posted additionally to it. Realistically that's where most of the negativity was also posted. Anyway, if Hild is no longer responding to the public questions of authorship and has not pulled the eBay auction or this listing, even under that cloud. Again, tells me all I need to know re: David Hild. Sucks for him getting taken in, but he should be trying to return this and that bogus Miller Batman to the place/s he got them from. Not the easier route of passing the buck on.

Didn't he mention he bought the piece from Romitaman ? Should be easy to either return it or have Mike come on here and vouch for the authenticity of the piece.

19 minutes ago, chromium said:

Didn't he mention he bought the piece from Romitaman ? Should be easy to either return it or have Mike come on here and vouch for the authenticity of the piece.

Perhaps a return could happen, but  given the seller has not one but two drawings that appear fake, what are the chances the seller is being fully transparent here?

Definitely going with "fake" on this one, as touched on by many others.  Also, if you are going to state that you have authenticity documents, you should probably add those pictures as well (common sense as a seller). 

Edited by DjMartini

I have a real problem believing this to be real.  Those of us that know and collect Kirby art/comics

can spot it a mile off.  I have a problem with the shield and his fist for starters.  Those were

definitely not drawn by the king.  Just my 2 cents :)

1 hour ago, chromium said:

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

Perhaps a return could happen, but  given the seller has not one but two drawings that appear fake, what are the chances the seller is being fully transparent here?

I always knew it was Mike as the source, at least of the polybag. It's his handwriting. Now...this does not mean that David Hild (OP) bought it directly from Mike. Maybe yes or maybe it's moved through some hands. This POS is the sort of art that gets hot-potatoed a lot, nobody wants to get stuck with it. And it's always easier, but never honest, to flip it to the next sucker rather than fight the good fight of trying to unwind previous transactions.

The real question is how does Mike justify taking this in, examining it and letting it back out? It's a POS and very likely fake. Maybe not this year but eventually, as the numbers get bigger and bigger, it's going to really suck to brag about how long you've been in business and how awesome you are at comic art and yet not be able to spot garbage art for what it is. This isn't Frank Springer either, it's Jack (King) Kirby. You either 'get' Kirby after thirty years of doing this (that'd be Mike, collecting since 1988 yes?) or you should just get out of the business. The legals are pretty grey area but add another zero and something like this bears weight back on the seller and anything less than an immediate and full refund is worth getting an attorney involved. And then Mike gets one. And guess who the only winners are at the end?

Let's be frank: if this is Kirby, it never should have left the house. Roz should have waited for Jack to take a nap and had the good sense to burn it. And otherwise...F A K E.