• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Graders notes question
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Curious if anyone knows what factors determine whether CGC graders provide graders notes or not on 9.6 books in particular. 

For example would the graders of a 9.6 book that's very close to a 9.8 not provide notes? Would a 9.6 that maybe has more defects more likely to have grader notes? I've noticed with higher graded books that it's a toss up as to whether notes are available or not. Thanks in advance to anyone that responds

9.8's rarely have graders notes. 9.4 and 9.6 sometimes don't. 

There can be several reasons for no graders notes on 9.4-9.6 books, but I believe it is some combination of:

Book is relatively "common". Not a key issue. For instance graders notes are more likely on Nova 1 (1976) than Nova 9. 
Defects are obvious (easily visible)
How much time the graders have for note recording. 

I agree with Tony on this. The more valuable a book, the more likely it will have notes. Especially if there are $100s or $1000s differences between say a 9.2 and a 9.4. Graders would definitely want to know why they didn't get that 9.4. 9.8 to 9.6 is most likely the difference of 1-2 stress lines vs 3-4 or possibly a tiny corner nick or something real small.

19 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I thought I read it also has something to do with the tier the book was submitted in. Value tier doesn't usually get notes. Also, unless it's an expensive book, I don't think they provide notes with onsite grading as they simply don't have time. 

Not true. Any low grade book will have notes, even if it's just 2-3 to denote which defects affect the grade the most. Tape is always noted as are extra staples or removed staples. Split spines are usually noted as they affect a grade more so than bends or light creases. If you own any books that went through value tier, go and look at the notes and you'll see what I mean. The only time notes may be skipped would be 9.4 or higher.

2 minutes ago, Philflound said:

Not true. Any low grade book will have notes, even if it's just 2-3 to denote which defects affect the grade the most. Tape is always noted as are extra staples or removed staples. Split spines are usually noted as they affect a grade more so than bends or light creases. If you own any books that went through value tier, go and look at the notes and you'll see what I mean. The only time notes may be skipped would be 9.4 or higher.

I didn't say low grade books don't get notes ? I said I heard the Value tier doesn't always get notes. I've used the value tier but never for a low grade book, usually for the cheap high grade Bronze which don't seem to generate notes.

10 hours ago, Darkwing7869 said:

I just got back my Modern tier books and none of my 9.6s had grader notes which sucks, because I am curious as to what prevented them from being 9.8s as I genuinely can't find a single flaw in any of them. 

I have a question did you have CCS press them?  I have 15 out there now and I think I should have gone a different route than CCS for my first pressing of Moderns

On 4/26/2018 at 11:36 AM, Jaydee said:

I have a question did you have CCS press them?  I have 15 out there now and I think I should have gone a different route than CCS for my first pressing of Moderns

Yes I did. I was fairly underwhelmed I have to admit. Its possible I put too much faith in pressing in general but on several of my grader notes, there were flaws listed that I would have thought would have been alleviated with a pressing. Nearly every single one had "non-colorbreaking spine stress lines" listed with one having a "cover indentation" and another had a tiny non-colorbreaking "crunch" on one corner. 

I will most likely try out 3rd party pressers in the future such as Joey who seems to be very popular on here. 

17 hours ago, Darkwing7869 said:

Yes I did. I was fairly underwhelmed I have to admit. Its possible I put too much faith in pressing in general but on several of my grader notes, there were flaws listed that I would have thought would have been alleviated with a pressing. Nearly every single one had "non-colorbreaking spine stress lines" listed with one having a "cover indentation" and another had a tiny non-colorbreaking "crunch" on one corner. 

I will most likely try out 3rd party pressers in the future such as Joey who seems to be very popular on here. 

I just sent 7 SA books to Mike from Hero Restoration.  Ill let you know how it turns out.  I havent tried Joey.  This was my first time pressing.  15 modern with ccs and 7 SA with mike.  

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 2:31 AM, Darkwing7869 said:

I just got back my Modern tier books and none of my 9.6s had grader notes which sucks, because I am curious as to what prevented them from being 9.8s as I genuinely can't find a single flaw in any of them. 

Modern books are so plentiful and usually in such high grade that they would likely only have notes if they were below 9.4...does that help?

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 7:37 PM, Philflound said:

I hope you don't mind some additional insight, Philflound, but it can also depend upon the grader...