• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Berkeley Comic Con May 5, Comics Only! Great old school show.
1 1

41 posts in this topic

If you're a local comic book lover and haven't been to this show - you are missing out!

Come on down - It's five bucks! You'll find more comics at this show than at most large/convention center "Comic" shows.

Here are a few pics so you can get a feel for it.

IMG_0467.JPG

IMG_0480.JPG

IMG_0483.JPG

IMG_1339.JPG

IMG_1350.JPG

IMG_6491.JPG

IMG_6499.JPG

IMG_3427.JPG

IMG_3426.JPG

IMG_3431.JPG

IMG_3436.JPG

IMG_3437.JPG

IMG_3438.JPG

IMG_3461.JPG

IMG_3462.JPG

You'll have fun. EdgerX always has a few great golden age books. Champion will have some good ones and Heroes probably more. I'll have three or so boxes of gold up front, including some of the best Ray Storch books. Steve Wyatt is bringing about his full vintage stock. I'd say everyone is going to have some, but I'd ask each vendor to make sure you don't miss them. In terms of GA hero books, I've got some Supermans between 30 and 50, Adventures, and a Sub-Mariner.

It was an excellent show. It looks like a combination of Cinco de Mayo and Free Comic Book Day lowered the attendance somewhat but I had a blast. Friend Brain had to leave just as I was arriving which saddened me greatly. On the plus side I made some new friends, renewed old ones, and got a few "nostalgia" books that are delighting me. Jbud was there, much to my delight. It had been some time since I saw this fine gentleman and it felt like I was reliving the boards from the early 2000s. BiterOldMan finally broke through his shyness and actually said a few words! Tried sneaking past Wormboy to save the price of admission but he was too sharp for that!  Marc (House of Comics) saved the day with a couple of nice books. I'm looking forward to visiting his office for a few more! I tried to get a She-Hulk #1 from CW to no avail, no matter how many times I asked him! Steve Wyatt had some most excellent buys and was a real treat to talk to. Topped off with a ride home from The Name I Can Never Remember Because It Is More Difficult Than Mxyzptlk!

Overall a really fun time. Can't wait for the next one.

PS - if I forgot to mention you it is not intentional. That includes you Harvey Doss!!! :blush:  Next show I am going to bring a notebook!

Edited by PovertyRow
more

The Brain was a stalwart as usual, showing up super early to very necessarily keep the reserved parking lot clear for our vendors to load in. We appreciate you!

Major props to MusterMark for driving up from LA to attend! So cool.

Minimum 15 board members and two Overstreet advisors in the room. Tons of comics knowledge in the room--including a guy from Santa Rosa who had a comic book store...in the 1970s!

Super fun show as usual, even though attendance was light.

People were enjoying themselves and I saw no less than FIVE people walk out with a full short box of purchased books!

Thanks to everyone who came out, especially The Brain, who, as Marc mentioned, helps us out every time!

It was great talking comics and art with everyone, especially the boardies.

Looking forward to seeing everyone on August 4th!

A few pics from the show:

IMG_3989.jpg

IMG_3991.jpg

IMG_3987.jpg

IMG_3993.jpg

IMG_3995.jpg

Nice! I do remember your reports, now that you mention it.

Two notes:

1) We could've gone to a bigger room quite a few shows ago but I'd chalk it up to the lack of affordable suitable venues that have, at the least, parking for the vendors and reasonable load-in. It is also difficult to get rooms that have suitable lighting. You'd be surprised how many places want to rent you rooms that are too dim to "safely" buy comics.

2) My current space is a full on office across from BART in downtown Berkeley! People should visit.

Btw, totally agree with you--serious props to Steve Wyatt for keeping the local shows going. He has put on shows since he was a teen in the 70s! There were years, not too long ago, where I would only do two local shows a year, both of them his.

Edited by HouseofComics.Com

Ok here’s my show review. The show... was great as always. You can basically stop reading right there and just show up to the next one.

In between the customers it feels like a room full of old and new friends hanging out on a Saturday talking comics and having a laugh. Jbud and HOC have been showing me the ropes for almost 15 years now so seeing both of them in the same room always brings a smile to my face. POV was in rare form. His improv is unnecessarily hilarious and once he’s finishes making you laugh, he busts out his magnifier and lays a master class worth of knowledge on you. I’m serious, I learned more about restoration detection in 20 mins than I have in the last 14 years. Primetime had my 6 in the booth all day counting $1 books by the dozen and letting me drop the Overstreet Advisor card every once in a while and Brain was there just long enough for me to wise crack a few times before he disappeared to do real life stuff (we missed you buddy). The show has introduced me to a lot of boardies I probably wouldn’t have bumped in to other wise. Harvdoss and Edgerx are both awesome dudes.

Then there is the new breed of instagram collectors that have been growing on me. A lot of very cool ladies and gents that would make (if they aren’t already) great additions to the boards.

And of course Wormboy does an awesome job orchestrating. I’m gonna say this out loud one time just for you Tim. Thank you for taking all that ‘abuse’ (I don’t think I’m allowed to use the word I want to there) from that mean old lady that rudely orders you where to put each table at the end of the show so the octogenarians can play bridge on Sunday morning.

Everything about this show brings out the best memories of collecting and dealing for most everyone that goes. It is a nostalgia factory to say the least. If you’ve made it through my entire OG boardie love note then you owe it to yourself to check this little box of comics out. It’s better than Ralph Macchio’s letter to the editor in Amazing Spider-Man #129.

8 hours ago, HouseofComics.Com said:

<It’s better than Ralph Macchio’s letter to the editor in Amazing Spider-Man #129. >>

But is it better than the sweet three page Steve Bissette backup story I just discovered in an early 80s Sgt. Rock?

This remains to be seen. It might be a really good backup story.