• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action Comics #1 Cover OA...still exists?!?
2 2

233 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Bronty said:

Speaking of Brad Savage....    http://scoop.previewsworld.com/Home/4/1/73/1018?articleID=184429     .... A $900,000 estimate for the MPFW cover?    Seems wildly optimistic

Covers (but no contents) were also produced for #s 2 - 4.

I remember seeing an unpublished OA cover for sale on a dealer's web-site some years back.

Can't remember who had it, but asking price was maybe $3 - 5k.

8 hours ago, otherworldsj331 said:

I think most long time collectors know that the FF 50 story is complete, or was at least until I last heard a few years ago, and so are a relatively decent number of the classic Marvel stuff. The complete FF 50 is just one of a more then a few...

Is there an online copy of Irene Vartanoff’s initial 1974 art list anywhere? 

6 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

hm

I wonder if Philip researched this angle more if he might be onto anything...

As a side note, Irene did state that Marvel had 934 covers she found (along with the 35,530 pages). She started working there in mid-1974. Has anyone added up the total number of books they published from 1959ish (seems to be when most of the inventory starts) through 1974? Wouldn't be surprised if that number is around 40-50% of everything they did.

It’s possible Crespi’s anecdote was about the late 60’s rather than the early 60’s. 

23 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I keep hearing a rumor that the cover to Cap #1 still exists. In the possession of the Simon family perhaps? Where else would it be? 

I hope to purchase it if I can arrange a lay-away plan. I figure I could pay it off in about 300 to 400 years.

I am a little late in this discussion. Years ago I have talked about the subject of comic book production with Joe Simon. At least as far as Simon and Kirby post-war productions. It turns out that they would send original art for covers to a different place than the interior pages. The interior pages were sent to the publisher who would handle making the plates. The cover art went to a special facility that would make the engraving plates. For late Simon and Kirby was Post Photo Engraving Corp which had a service office in NYC but production was in Clifton NJ. I believe (although I never thought to ask Joe) that this was done because the covers typically had more subtlety to the colors. In any case my point is that original cover art went through a different path than the interiors. And I doubt S&K were the only comic producers that did this. A different path could result in different outcomes when it comes to what original art survived.

CaptainAmerica1.jpg

Edited by hmendryk

20 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Hey Felix. That new Marvel early silver covers art find wouldn’t be in the possession of Mark Landis, would it? 

:roflmao:

lol

That's actually why I heard about this from the new owner, because subject was brought up with regards to Landis. But apparently the art checks out.

The new owner is not ready to share just yet. Hopefully he will down the line.

55 minutes ago, hmendryk said:

I hope to purchase it if I can arrange a lay-away plan. I figure I could pay it off in about 300 to 400 years.

I am a little late in this discussion. Years ago I have talked about the subject of comic book production with Joe Simon. At least as far as Simon and Kirby post-war productions. It turns out that they would send original art for covers to a different place than the interior pages. The interior pages were sent to the publisher who would handle making the plates. The cover art went to a special facility that would make the engraving plates. For late Simon and Kirby was Post Photo Engraving Corp which had a service office in NYC but production was in Clifton NJ. I believe (although I never thought to ask Joe) that this was done because the covers typically had more subtlety to the colors. In any case my point is that original cover art went through a different path than the interiors. And I doubt S&K were the only comic producers that did this. A different path could result in different outcomes when it comes to what original art survived.

CaptainAmerica1.jpg

I'm assuming based on where the art is cut off that this either a) the original stat or b) a copy or photo of the stat?  Regardless, this is incredible to see!

28 minutes ago, Nexus said:

lol

That's actually why I heard about this from the new owner, because subject was brought up with regards to Landis. But apparently the art checks out.

The new owner is not ready to share just yet. Hopefully he will down the line.

can you comment as to how many pre 65 covers were in this find ?

2 hours ago, hmendryk said:

CaptainAmerica1.jpg

Sweet Jeebus. You can see the glue stains for where the title and cover blurbs went. And someone wrote “please rush!!” on the bottom.

Is this real?!?

Edited by PhilipB2k17

45 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Sweet Jeebus. You can see the glue stains for where the title and cover blurbs went. And someone wrote “please rush!!” on the bottom.

Is this real?!?

I do not think it is real. Like they say, if something is too good to be true... I can say it was not from Joe Simon's collection.

CaptainAmerica1.jpg

19 minutes ago, hmendryk said:

I do not think it is real. Like they say, if something is too good to be true... I can say it was not from Joe Simon's collection.

CaptainAmerica1.jpg

It may not be the OA, but is it possible this is an original production piece? 

23 minutes ago, hmendryk said:

A production piece would have the title and blurbs. So not a production piece.

Can you share where this image came from?  You almost "broke" one of the Comic Art Forums on Facebook posting that image here (someone took the image and posted it on one of the forums there).

Edited by dem1138

6 hours ago, dem1138 said:

Can you share where this image came from?  You almost "broke" one of the Comic Art Forums on Facebook posting that image here (someone took the image and posted it on one of the forums there).

I posted it there. 

6 hours ago, hmendryk said:

A production piece would have the title and blurbs. So not a production piece.

Yes, unless they copied the original and pasted on new titles and blurbs for production, which are now lost. Maybe done for a reprint? 

Its just weird for a forgery. Why not copy the paste ups too? Unless you had the actual original to compare it too, abd knew which were paste ups, how would you know the lower blurb was a paste up? Very odd. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

3 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Yes, unless they copied the original and pasted on new titles and blurbs for production, which are now lost. Maybe done for a reprint? 

Its just weird for a forgery. Why not copy the paste ups too? Unless you had the actual original to compare it too, abd knew which were paste ups, how would you know the lower blurb was a paste up? Very odd. 

Your ability to reduce an endless number of rational and irrational possibilities to a single "obvious" conclusion is amazing. Truly amazing. Your ability is even more amazing than Peter Parker's.

10 hours ago, dem1138 said:

I am afraid not. I have a directory filled with various images or comics and original art that I picked up off the Internet over the years.

1 hour ago, vodou said:

Your ability to reduce an endless number of rational and irrational possibilities to a single "obvious" conclusion is amazing. Truly amazing. Your ability is even more amazing than Peter Parker's.

Why did you put quotation marks around the word "obvious" when I never wrote that word, or even implied it?