• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action Comics #1 Cover OA...still exists?!?
2 2

233 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

What it shows is that tons of early Marvel art was stolen, and a lot of it is hidden away in black hole collections.

"Stolen" is a loaded word. You should learn not to use it unless you have the facts to back it up. These two mystery men, maybe they were guys that were gifted some stuff by Stan, maybe not, but what do you know? That's if the hearsay (lol) is even true or correct. Who knows, we're relying on Bechara's account of a conversation with Brad from ?? recollecting events all the way back in 1985! One thing is for certain, posts like yours I quoted...pushing people that do know things further and further away from you :)

Edited by vodou
clarity

4 minutes ago, vodou said:

"Stolen" is a loaded word. You should learn not to use it unless you have the facts to back it up. These two mystery men, maybe they were guys that were gifted some stuff by Stan, maybe not, but what do you know? That's if the hearsay (lol) is even true or correct. Who knows, we're relying on Bechara's account of a conversation with Brad from ?? recollecting events all the way back in 1985! One thing is for certain, posts like yours I quoted...pushing people that do know things further and further away from you :)

I hate to say this, but it sounds like I am starting to step on some people's toes, and there is some butt covering going on for their pals.

This is hilarious. I was ready through Glen Brunswick's blog, going back to 2012. One of his early entries has him questioning what happened to a lot of the Billy Graham Hero for Hire covers from the 70's. He had been searching for them forever.

http://originalcomicartlocator.blogspot.com/2012/08/art-highlight-missing-hero-for-hire.html

Well, just this year, a story was published (after the Black Panther film came out) about Bill Graham in the New York Times. Turns out, he kept all of his art from that series still in the Marvel return envelopes. On the Facebook message boards just a few weeks ago, Glen posted a story about how he contacted Billy's family and bought a lot of these "missing" covers from them. He just got back one of them (the cover to #5) from the restorer, in fact.

Just goes to show that sometimes Art that is has been "missing" for a long time, might actually be somewhere after all.

Edited by PhilipB2k17

8 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I hate to say this, but it sounds like I am starting to step on some people's toes, and there is some butt covering going on for their pals.

You're not even in the same hemisphere as toes. Neither am I. As Burkey has pointed out before, vodou knows nothing.

2 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

This is hilarious. I was ready through Glen Brunswick's blog, going back to 2012. One of his entries is him questioning what happened to a lot of the Billy Graham Hero for Hire covers from the 70's. He had been searching for them forever.

http://originalcomicartlocator.blogspot.com/2012/08/art-highlight-missing-hero-for-hire.html

Well, just this year, a story was published (after the Black Panther film came out) about Bill Graham in the New York Times.. Turns out, he had all of his art from that series still in the Marvel return envelopes. On the Facebook message boards just a few weeks ago, Glen posted a story about how he contacted Billy's family and bought a lot of these "missing" covers from them. He just got back one of them (the cover to #5) from the restorer, in fact.

Just goes to show that sometimes Art that is has been "missing" for a long time, might actually be somewhere after all.

News to absolutely nobody here that keeps up or anybody that's been in this hobby for a while, we're all aware of Glen's old (pre-FB group) blog and posts, and thus his quest for Billy Graham art. (Side note: Billy Graham art, returned to him by Marvel through the usual means has nothing to do with Marvel art extant but not returned through the usual means!) Glen seems like a thorough fella, the first thought I had when he posted recently here on that subject was: how could you not have already checked in with the family?!!

4 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Yes, but how did this cover survive? :baiting:

My guess would be Lloyd Jacquet Estate. A one-off occurrence. How is Motion Pictures #1 around but not the Marvel Comics #1 painting?!!! Well then it must be. Oh no another conspiracy...surely!!

8 minutes ago, vodou said:

News to absolutely nobody here that keeps up or anybody that's been in this hobby for a while, we're all aware of Glen's old (pre-FB group) blog and posts, and thus his quest for Billy Graham art. (Side note: Billy Graham art, returned to him by Marvel through the usual means has nothing to do with Marvel art extant but not returned through the usual means!) Glen seems like a thorough fella, the first thought I had when he posted recently here on that subject was: how could you not have already checked in with the family?!!

Maybe because Billy died in 1999 and none of his art was put up for auction or sold in the interim. Maybe Glen assumed Billy got rid of it? Billy was something of a renaissance man, so maybe Glen thought he didn’t place much of a value on his comic book art? If Glen is following this thread, he can comment on it himself  

In any case, had it not surfaced, many of the same arguments used in our present debate could easily be used to “prove” the art no longer existed. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

3 minutes ago, vodou said:

My guess would be Lloyd Jacquet Estate. A one-off occurrence. How is Motion Pictures #1 around but not the Marvel Comics #1 painting?!!! Well then it must be. Oh no another conspiracy...surely!!

I keep hearing a rumor that the cover to Cap #1 still exists. In the possession of the Simon family perhaps? Where else would it be? 

2 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Maybe because Billy died in 1999 and none of his art was put up for auction or sold in the interim. Maybe Glen assumed Billy got rid of it? Billy was as something of a renaissance man, so maybe he didn’t put much value in his comic book art? 

In any case, had it not surfaced, many of the same arguments used in our present debate could easily be used to “prove” the art no longer existed. 

Except the process at Marvel for handling 1970s art was very different than 1960s art. Logic m'boy, logic. Heh.

1 minute ago, vodou said:

Except the process at Marvel for handling 1970s art was very different than 1960s art. Logic m'boy, logic. Heh.

Yes. But we know the OA covers I’m talking about were likely returned to Marvel. They weren’t destroyed. 

1 minute ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I keep hearing a rumor that the cover to Cap #1 still exists. In the possession of the Simon family perhaps? Where else would it be? 

Anywhere. Absolutely anywhere.

Is any of that "hearing" actually from verbal conversations you've had or just more stuff you read here first and are re-posting without crediting to source? Last I read 'round these parts...in this very thread, was dem1138 rumoring that Brad Savage has it and not Simon family. lol

Just now, PhilipB2k17 said:

Yes. But we know the OA covers I’m talking about were likely returned to Marvel. They weren’t destroyed. 

We part ways at the word "know" (emphasis above mine) you so freely use.

Just now, vodou said:

Anywhere. Absolutely anywhere.

Is any of that "hearing" actually from verbal conversations you've had or just more stuff you read here first and are re-posting without crediting to source? Last I read 'round these parts...in this very thread, was dem1138 rumoring that Brad Savage has it and not Simon family. lol

How did he get it? Did it fall off the back of the same truck those two guys in the 80's were following when out popped the OA for ASM 1-4 and X-Men #1?

1 minute ago, vodou said:

We part ways at the word "know" (emphasis above mine) you so freely use.

This is based on Glen Gold's research. The printers' policy was to return the art in an envelope to Marvel. Including the covers. Because Marvel wanted it returned.

11 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

How did he get it? Did it fall off the back of the same truck those two guys in the 80's were following when out popped the OA for ASM 1-4 and X-Men #1?

I'd suggest you ask Brad. He's around, but you'll have to actually go outside for that.

32 minutes ago, vodou said:

Canadian dollars.

I'll take the under.

I'm not sure that cover is worth 100k.   I'm certain its not worth 300k.

13 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

This is based on Glen Gold's research. The printers' policy was to return the art in an envelope to Marvel. Including the covers. Because Marvel wanted it returned.

Research he's sort of disavowed today, though not necessarily that specific part. Anyway, not your research, so...?