• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOP 25 Golden Age Pre-Code HORROR Books 2019 edition
3 3

127 posts in this topic

These are my TOP 25 Golden Age  precode horror books as of April 2018. What about you guys?

Mister Mystery #12

Astonishing #4

Punch comics #12

Manhunt #14

Red seal comics #20

Crime does not pay #24

Roly Poly comics #14

Chamber of Chills #19

Dynamic comics #8

Tomb of Terror #16

Witches Tales #25

Weird Chills #1

Web of Evil #5

Spook #22

Chamber of Chills #23

Startling Terror Tales #11

This Magazine is Haunted #16

Tales of Horror #8

Beyond #27

Beware #10

Shock Suspenstories #6

Haunted Thrills #18

Out of the shadows #8

Ghost comics #2

Our flag comics #5

Not a fan of EC Comics but I would add Tales from the crypt #30 in spot #26  Tomb of Terror #15 and Black Cat Mystery #51 are classics but I would take them in spot #27 and #28

Those are my top 25

Edited by Dreamtoreal1

Great choices guys and I agree with a lot of them. Although there are some that I have in mind that weren't mentioned. hm I'm gonna wait a bit for @Darth Corgi to chime in as he does this thing, well, you just have to see it! If we can coax Cristian to maybe start it up it would be fun! :wishluck:

My definition of pch only includes books from 1950 to 1955 and doesn’t include crime comics. That eliminates books like Punch 12, Crime Suspenstories 22 and Fight Against Crime 20. 

Here’s my current top 25

Beware 6

Black Cat 50

Chilling Tales 16

Chamber of Chills 23

Dark Mysteries 10

Fantastic Fears 6

Haunted Thrills 5

Haunted Thrills 6

Marvel Tales 95

Mister Mystery 6

Mister Mystery 12

Mysterious Adventures 13

Out of the Shadows 8

Startling Terror Tales 11

Strange Fantasy 1

Thing 12

Tomb of Terror 15

Weird Chills 1

Weird Mysteries 4

Weird Mysteries 5

Weird Mysteries 12

Weird Tales of the Future 3

Witchcraft 2

Witchcraft 5

My top 25:

Horrific 3

Thing 15

Thing 7

Adventures into the Unknown 1

Haunt of Fear 17

Web of Mystery 17

Astonishing 30

Menace 5

Suspense 14

Tomb of Terror 15

Werid Tales of the Future 7

Adventures into Weird Worlds 7

Weird Chills 2

Black Cat Mystery 45

Strange Fantasy 2

Fantastic Fears 5

Web of Evil 5

Chilling Tales 14

Weird Mysteries 5

This Magazine is Haunted 7

Men's Adventures 25

Mister Mystery 12

Eerie Comics 1

Black Cat Mystery 50

Impact 1

28 minutes ago, Darth Corgi said:

Some great top horror lists. Lots of popular favorites in there.Below are my top 50 horror books I picked out in two batches of 25 each.

Safe to say something similar (but a little bit different) will surface again around Halloween time in the traditional Undead Thread. Patience fellow Comic Horror Heads. All in time...

-Christian

image.jpeg

image.gif

Treacherous 25???!!!!

Some might be surprised by Impact 1 appearing on my list. Could there be a more horrific experience with a horror comic book than reading the Concentration Camp story? Imagine many young comic book readers during the postwar era reading a story related to the most horrendous and heinous act in world history- the attempt to systematically wipe out an entire people. They're all great books mentioned in this thread but nothing comes close to the most horrific experiences where genocide is concerned: what happened to the millions of Armenians, Cambodians, and Jewish peoples during the 20th Century (I can also mention what's happened in the Balkans, parts of Africa, and China during World War 2; and of course what's happened to indigenous peoples during colonization during the second milenium. Forgive me if I missed anything). EC Comics Impact 1's classic concentration camp story reminds a comic book collector that emphasis should not be based exclusively on cover art during the precode era that followed the end of the Golden Age of comics coinciding with the end of the Good War for the comic book medium. Classic stories have their place and in the case of Impact 1, can tell of a horror beyond the comprehension of many young people in America during the early 50s that had yet to see and truly understand what the Holocaust was. Television was just starting out. Movietone news  and newspapers were the dominant medium for news. Kids and young adults of course, had the comic book. Impact 1 is one of those precode comic books that tells the most insidious and horrific story of all and why it's on my list...

Edited by bronze johnny

32 minutes ago, bronze johnny said:

Impact 1 is one of those precode comic books that tells the most insidious and horrific story of all and why it's on my list...

While I agree with your reasoning, and although there is no CCA stamp on the first issue, it did come out in 1955. The CCA was formed in 1954 making this book a post code entry. :sorry:

37 minutes ago, Jayman said:

While I agree with your reasoning, and although there is no CCA stamp on the first issue, it did come out in 1955. The CCA was formed in 1954 making this book a post code entry. :sorry:

Thanks Jay. True with one qualification. If my memory serves me correctly, Bill Gaines didn't publish this issue with the intention of having it comply with the code. He "liberally" interpreted the code.

8 minutes ago, bronze johnny said:

Thanks Jay. True with one qualification. If my memory serves me correctly, Bill Gaines didn't publish this issue with the intention of having it comply with the code. He "liberally" interpreted the code.

Great book either way you slice it! I guess it's just the stickler in me that needed to point that out! :blush: