• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay seller Tonfulle-84. $357 for a Stan Lee forgery

142 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, kav said:

or even my sig which is simple.  

Screenshot 2019-02-10 at 9.08.27 PM.png

As simple as that seems, there are nuances that will be missed by anyone but you, unless it's studied intuitively for a good deal of time. Then, the actual forging of it would have it's own set of problems that could only be partially overcome by a thousand attempts, maybe 10,000 attempts at duplication or a reasonable facsimile thereof.

Just now, James J Johnson said:

As simple as that seems, there are nuances that will be missed by anyone but you, unless it's studied intuitively for a good deal of time. Then, the actual forging of it would have it's own set of problems that could only be partially overcome by a thousand attempts, maybe 10,000 attempts at duplication or a reasonable facsimile thereof.

I make that sig in about 2 1/2 seconds.  

I start upper Right and quickly draw rectangle.  The vertical part of k then a quick slash from upper to lower on legs of k.  Then left arm of A, then rt arm. drawn top to bottom then bridge of A left to rt.  The the V left to rt down then up slash.

So there, forgers-give it a whirl.

Edited by kav

14 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Tonfulle-84 : His McFarlane forgery:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spiderman-1-NM-MT-9-8-SIGNED-TODD-MCFARLANE-GRADE-WORTHY-COVER-KEY-NICE-L-K/132949892186?hash=item1ef46e5c5a:g:61wAAOSwj61cYgcJ 

This, is his take on McFarlane? It's like if you worked up a comedy act on forgeries. Todd McFarlane? :roflmao:

McF.jpg

That one actually looks legit to me, it has the red web stamp on the back cover, McFarlane signed so many of these back in 1990 that some are sloppy but they all are signed in that area on Spidey's knee.

4 minutes ago, ned said:

That one actually looks legit to me, it has the red web stamp on the back cover, McFarlane signed so many of these back in 1990 that some are sloppy but they all are signed in that area on Spidey's knee.

Looks like he signed it with his left foot

McFarlane22.jpg

Edited by James J Johnson

3 minutes ago, Mystafo said:

Yea, I've seen some funny looking small T. McFarlane sigs on those Spider-man 1's...own a couple that look quite different from my SS books.

Early Parkinson's Disease for McFarlane? I hope not. Because there's a whole lotta' shakin' goin on in this signature. And oddly enough, elements of Tonfulle's handwriting crept into this too. Study his Heck and Trimpe forgeries.

McF_thumb_jpg_88e40d72dfca817053f81b64723726d1.jpg

26 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Early Parkinson's Disease for McFarlane? I hope not. Because there's a whole lotta' shakin' goin on in this signature. And oddly enough, elements of Tonfulle's handwriting crept into this too. Study his Heck and Trimpe forgeries.

McF_thumb_jpg_88e40d72dfca817053f81b64723726d1.jpg

It's very subtle but you can see this was not written quickly, as actual sigs are.

11 minutes ago, kav said:

It's very subtle but you can see this was not written quickly, as actual sigs are.

Yes. The feathering of the ink is emphasized at the points where his track slowed. It's drawn. Slowly. Shakily. Unsure. You're an artist. These hesitations, the tells of varied pen speed, you have a natural disposition to be very sensitive to it.

His raw Lee's are all bad. He did splurge on some authentically signed books to list, to lend plausibility that his forgeries are OK. To shill the garbage. Authentically signed pieces that in most cases are priced so high that they won't sell. That's not his intention to sell the real ones. It's window dressing to market the forged garbage.

9 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Yes. The feathering of the ink is emphasized at the points where his track slowed. It's drawn. Slowly. Shakily. Unsure. You're an artist. These hesitations, the tells of varied pen speed, you have a natural disposition to be very sensitive to it.

His raw Lee's are all bad. He did splurge on some authentically signed books to list, to lend plausibility that his forgeries are OK. To shill the garbage. Authentically signed pieces that in most cases are priced so high that they won't sell. That's not his intention to sell the real ones. It's window dressing to market the forged garbage.

This area is particularly telling-why the pause at the bottom?  

Screenshot 2019-02-12 at 12.15.31 PM.png

2 hours ago, kav said:

This area is particularly telling-why the pause at the bottom?  

Screenshot 2019-02-12 at 12.15.31 PM.png

We both know. "Now what?", the forger pauses. If you wrote your own name 100,000+ times, you wouldn't have to pause to think about what's next. Hesitation is always a tell among many other related tells of unfamiliarity.

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

We both know. "Now what?", the forger pauses. If you wrote your own name 100,000+ times, you wouldn't have to pause to think about what's next. Hesitation is always a tell among many other related tells of unfamiliarity.

this one reminds me of Trump's autograph ! .. i know J.J.J. knows it

but what about you Kav (and don't cheat , just guess lol )

Image result for mussolini autograph

2 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

this one reminds me of Trump's autograph ! .. i know J.J.J. knows it

but what about you Kav (and don't cheat , just guess lol )

Image result for mussolini autograph

Yep no need to cheat on this one.