• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which superhero action figures are the best?
1 1

36 posts in this topic

On 4/17/2018 at 6:40 PM, fantastic_four said:

Nah, I just want to expose my twins to both DC and Marvel.

I'm currently considering the Marvel Legends line, the Marvel Toybox line, and the Playskool Heroes line (it has both DC and Marvel figures).  But I'm interested in the absolute best if one or both take to figures and want bigger/better ones later, but for these two 2.5 year olds I'm currently leaning towards the Playskool Heroes line pictured below because they also love the Star Wars "Galactic Heroes" line.  The art style on the "Heroes" line is REALLY cool.

s-l1600.jpg

My nephew is 4, and this is what I buy for him.  He loves them.  Works for me as they’re relatively cheap and they’re durable.  Kids DGAF about detail.  They’re “close enough” to the source material (to satisfy the “nerd” in me).

2 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

My nephew is 4, and this is what I buy for him.  He loves them.  Works for me as they’re relatively cheap and they’re durable.  Kids DGAF about detail.  They’re “close enough” to the source material (to satisfy the “nerd” in me).

I think this thread is more for me than my kids, but it'll be theirs to play with.  But if I ever switch from statues to those Hot Toys figures, that'll be for me!  :banana:

Edited by fantastic_four

12 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Given that a Toybox line version of Wolverine isn't likely anytime soon, I may go for the Chinese Revoltech Wolverine figure.  Revoltech makes THE most articulated characters in the history of action figures...even the ankles, wrists, and toes are articulated.  I assume these are bootleg though, and I don't really even know how to buy them.  You can get them for $20 from ebay from Chinese sellers, but I have no idea whether or not you can trust you'll actually get it since it's bootleg.  From American sellers it usually costs more like $40 to $80.  Plus the articulation may be way too advanced for kids, I can see getting it handed to me to "straighten out" a lot.  But they look absolutely amazing and I'm tempted to pull the trigger from China.  hm

-6882468174554118116.jpg

I don't think I'd recommend Revoltech figs for little kids. There's lot of small, interchangeable parts, and those blades might well be sharp. 

8 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Batman the Animated figures, original series.

batmanAnimated.jpg

I saw those and generally enjoy the style, but the articulation is poor and I couldn't find a Wonder Woman in the cartoon style, hence I went with the latest Justice League figures.  Ideally I wanted the Batman from this set plus a Superman and Wonder Woman of a similar style.

4 hours ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

I don't think I'd recommend Revoltech figs for little kids. There's lot of small, interchangeable parts, and those blades might well be sharp. 

I'm leaving all accessories and sticking-out parts off of all of these toys until they get older, which in the case of Wolverine would mean the claws.  Same with all of the figures and toys I'm buying, all small pieces go in bags until they get older.  That's what's best about the Playskool figures, the accessories are fused into the body and don't even come off, and they're blunt so they don't hurt.  But this time I figured I'd buy figures I enjoyed more and that they'd enjoy more as they get older.

I've been debating about whether or not to even give them the shield for Toybox Captain America.  They're 2.5 years old right now, so I figure it'll get lost within the first year if I give them that shield.  They arrive today so I'll see how well it snaps onto his hand and go from there.

P1150715.jpg

Edited by fantastic_four

9 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

But if I ever switch from statues to those Hot Toys figures

I had never seen these Hot Toys figures until yesterday, and I thought a lot last night about selling all my statues and switching to the figures.  My two-year olds really, really don't like that they can't play with my statues--my son just broke down and cried a few days ago when I wouldn't let him handle my Bowen Daredevil statue--and come to think of it, I don't like the fact that I can't play with them, either.  Something realistic like a statue that is light and articulated like the Hot Toys figures seems far superior to heavy resin.

However, is there a wide variety of styles, or competing companies to Hot Toys creating ultra-detailed figures?  All of the Hot Toys I'm seeing are ultra-realistic, and most of them seem to be exact duplications of the actors' bodies and faces from the films.  I want at least some expressionism in my figures, and preferably some styles classic to the comics.  For example, if I had a Storm, I'd like her to look like classic 1970s or 1980s Ororo, not Halle Berry with a mohawk.  Or I'd prefer a Wolverine who's 5' 2" with a yellow and black costume, not Hugh Jackman in jeans or those dumb black original X-Men movie costumes.

Edited by fantastic_four

5 hours ago, Norrin's lawyer said:

This thread inspired me ... I ordered the Toybox Cap for my son.   I agree with your comments on the Thor.  I really like that one as well, and will probably order it.  Thanks!

No problem!  (thumbsu  They're all in now, and the best figures are definitely Hulk, Cap, and Thor.  I didn't think Hulk would be my favorite, but he is because he's so huge compared to the other figures.  Spider-Man is the worst, his limbs bend both the right way and the wrong way making it easy to put him into frequent knee-and-elbow-breaking positions.  :eek:

Hulk weighs a LOT, four times as much as Cap, six times as much as Spider-Man, and two or three times as much as Thor.  He's as wide as any other three 1:12 scale figures put together, and that really communicates how big a guy he is extremely well.  Both of my kids liked him as a figure whereas they saw nothing in the still images of him to cling onto (they haven't seen any of the films yet, no attention span for a 2-hour film, they've only seen short clips of the best action sequences).  Hulk is a really substantially heavy hunk of plastic for a 5" action figure--that big barrel chest of his clearly isn't hollow, it's solid straight through and heavy as heck for plastic--and my only fear now is that when one of my twins inevitably chucks Hulk at the other--or at me--it's going to leave a bruise.  :grin:

It was the Playskool Heroes Hulk that convinced me to go with the Toybox line.  He's the same size as all the other guys!  There's really nothing at all to like in that Hulk, he's just a weird-looking green dude.

Disney-Marvel-Toybox-Wave-1-Figures31__s 14067407?wid=488&hei=488&fmt=pjpeg

Edited by fantastic_four

In retrospect, it wasn't the best idea to buy 6" action figures for toddlers.  My son throws them around a lot and broke one of Iron Man's legs off, one of Black Panther's legs off, and Thor's hand with the hammer in it on his figures from the Toybox line.  I can't get him to stop throwing toys around when he's feeling mad or hyper.  :pullhair:

Edited by fantastic_four

20 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

In retrospect, it wasn't the best idea to buy 6" action figures for toddlers.  My son throws them around a lot and broke one of Iron Man's legs off, one of Black Panther's legs off, and Thor's hand with the hammer in it on his figures from the Toybox line.  I can't get him to stop throwing toys around when he's feeling mad or hyper.  :pullhair:

But having said that, he's getting a few Marvel Legends 6" figures for Christmas.  Apparently I'm a glutton for punishment.  :blush:

As far as I know, this is the most/best articulated super-hero toy figure of all time. Then again, Im not big into toys, but haven’t found any better. Use him as a drawing model.

I could not find anything showing number of points of articulation on the wolverine toy for comparison.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SPIDERMAN-2-18-INCH-ACTION-FIGURE-67-POINTS-OF-ARTICULATION-UNOPENED-REDUCED/263935776905?hash=item3d73cc5889:g:DuoAAOSwtNFbHcM5

854B6A49-89EB-47C4-A028-D6E23BA16E06.jpeg

35F7EFFA-8691-4D27-BA97-6CD5C127CF72.jpeg

Edited by bronze_rules

Hey, don't forget the Turtles! These were the figures I loved as a kid... Ridiculous when compared to that Optimus Prime above but I loved them all the same, so much so I recently bought one in the original packaging :)

1988looseraph.jpg