• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Low grade ASM 39, worth restoring?

9 posts in this topic

I have a beat up low grade Amazing Spider-Man 39 here. Not sure of the current grade range, FR to GD?

It is a very key issue in Spider-Man history, one of my favorites, wondering what restoration can do for this comic?

Cleaning / pressing I am sure could improve the cover, but the biggest problem is the little chunk missing from the lower right corner, throughout all the pages and back cover. The letters page also has a tear.

I have never done a restoration before and not sure if it can help with this damage, looking for advice here. If it can help, I should have cleaning / pressing and what else done to it?

IMG_9387.jpg

IMG_9392.jpg

IMG_9393.jpg

IMG_9394.jpg

IMG_9399.jpg

IMG_9401.jpg

IMG_9403.jpg

IMG_9404.jpg

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 4:54 PM, Ride the Tiger said:

This issue is for sure sought after by many ASM collectors but it is far from what you would call mega-key. I would just upgrade and buy another copy. You can check eBay finished auctions to see what it goes for in different grades.

+1. No. Not worth restoring, unless you have some type of sentimental attachment to that particular 39 and need to conserve it for future enjoyment.

Don't bother restoring. That is chewed by rodents. Like others said, just buy another copy for the money you'd spend restoring it. I actually had a copy of either this or the one after missing the centerfold. Threw it in a box for future consideration of whatever. :)

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 7:26 PM, Philflound said:

Don't bother restoring. That is chewed by rodents. Like others said, just buy another copy for the money you'd spend restoring it. I actually had a copy of either this or the one after missing the centerfold. Threw it in a box for future consideration of whatever. :)

Yes. Aside from a sentimental value, like if this was the copy his father bought off the newsstand for him when he had his tonsils removed, the value in these beaters, aside from reading, is as potential spare parts, if say a centerfold or another page is needed, which may never occur, but it's good to have just in case.