• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jim Aparo, An Appreciation
1 1

41 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

I think this is a better page than the first one you bought. And frankly, I was hoping you'd get this one, too.

Thanks so much Rick, it really is something I was genuinely blown away when I opened up the splash and examined it.

Congratulations!  Like you, my dad bought me my first issue of Batman (by Aparo) at our local Circle K in the late 70's, and it was one of the first four or five comics I ever owned, and my first issue with Batman.  Aparo will always be my #1 Batman artist, certainly from a sentimental standpoint.  Hopefully you'll be able to track down a page or the cover to #442 and add it to your collection!

After seeing some of the prices paid at the recent auctions for Aparo art, which have been steadily climbing over the years, are we at a point where the price is getting out of line for the artisanship? Over $52K for a Spectre Adventure cover, for one. I'm also shocked that a Phantom Stranger page sold for just shy of $2K on HA when about 4 months ago, the seller would have sold it for $1K on CAF ($1.1K on eBay). And it was only an "okay" page.

I'm curious how those Aquaman pages are going to sell for, next.

19 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

After seeing some of the prices paid at the recent auctions for Aparo art, which have been steadily climbing over the years, are we at a point where the price is getting out of line for the artisanship? Over $52K for a Spectre Adventure cover, for one. I'm also shocked that a Phantom Stranger page sold for just shy of $2K on HA when about 4 months ago, the seller would have sold it for $1K on CAF ($1.1K on eBay). And it was only an "okay" page.

I'm curious how those Aquaman pages are going to sell for, next.

I know the pages I got were unpublished and from the end of his career but I was shocked that I was able to get the two pages I did for the prices I did (Splash for $436 and panel page for $136).  For the past year most Aparo pages before this were falling at $1K plus.

I am an Aparo fan from the late 80's and 90's and those pages are completely gone. (When I tell that to most collectors they are surprised since the Brave and the Bold stuff is what most people covet) What I would give for a page from Knightfall or a page with Batman unmasked but I know that would easily run me $3-5K if I was lucky and that is out of my price range. I am very interested to see where the Aquaman pages fall as well. There seems to have been quite a wave of Aparo pages showing up in auction I am wondering what is up?  

6 hours ago, comicfanboy007 said:

I know the pages I got were unpublished and from the end of his career but I was shocked that I was able to get the two pages I did for the prices I did (Splash for $436 and panel page for $136).  For the past year most Aparo pages before this were falling at $1K plus.

I am an Aparo fan from the late 80's and 90's and those pages are completely gone. (When I tell that to most collectors they are surprised since the Brave and the Bold stuff is what most people covet) What I would give for a page from Knightfall or a page with Batman unmasked but I know that would easily run me $3-5K if I was lucky and that is out of my price range. I am very interested to see where the Aquaman pages fall as well. There seems to have been quite a wave of Aparo pages showing up in auction I am wondering what is up?  

2 collections came on the market.

On 5/18/2018 at 1:35 PM, Chillax23 said:

I love Aparo's work on Batman - for me Knightfall was the huge Batman story growing up - so I was really excited when I was able to pick up this page by Aparo from Batman 494:

521772305_Batman494Page20.thumb.jpg.95549d10bfec772f25468aef3c684afd.jpg

This is incredible!!! Knightfall pages are so rare. I love this. That was a great issue and this page is fantastic storytelling by Jim. Thank you so much for sharing this I hope one day to have a Knightfall page myself. Thank you again!

11 hours ago, Norinn Radd said:

I agree. I suspect it has been fueled by some really high prices which were recently paid for the Aparo Spectre art lately, including a cover for Adventure. 

One thing I find surprising is that even though the amount of material Aparo did is quite high, the prices keep going higher.

12 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

I agree. I suspect it has been fueled by some really high prices which were recently paid for the Aparo Spectre art lately, including a cover for Adventure. 

One thing I find surprising is that even though the amount of material Aparo did is quite high, the prices keep going higher.

Very true!

And perhaps another example of increasing Aparo prices may be seen at Tuesday nights Clink auction, when the complete interiors to Brave and the Bold 132 is auctioned off.  Don’t recall ever seeing complete B&B interiors being sold in one lot before...

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FALLSUB.ASP%3FFocused%3D1%26id%3D1398%23Item_1248796&id=1248796&itemType=1

Lovely Aparo Green Lantern page just ended on Heritage. :cloud9:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/jim-aparo-the-brave-and-the-bold-173-page-14-original-art-dc-1981-/a/121825-14007.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515

18843895%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

Just read the story in my Aparo Legends of the Dark Knight Volume 3.

9 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Yeah, and others must have been thinking the same ‘cause it sold for $4.2K ?

Has anyone been paying close attention to various sub-trends for all the Aparo art prices which have come up lately? Some seem to be really high; others, not so much. I'm also a little surprised if everything is moving higher because so much has come on the market as of late. Anyway, just curious.

7 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Has anyone been paying close attention to various sub-trends for all the Aparo art prices which have come up lately? Some seem to be really high; others, not so much. I'm also a little surprised if everything is moving higher because so much has come on the market as of late. Anyway, just curious.

Where with Marvel, it used to be Kirby and Ditko, then Romita and Buscema were the next tier to go up in value, followed by Kane, then now you're seeing Pollard and other solid run artists go up, I feel with Aparo, he's in that Pollard realm of an underappreciated artist who has an excellent resume of his body of work for DC that is now being recognized.

Art from the 1980's and prior continues to shoot up.  It's only a matter of time when some of the mediocre 90's art surges and becomes not-so-average.

The only things that don't seem to go up or has less investment potential, yet many today still spend good money on are commissions and CGC certified sketch covers in the original art realm where published mainstream (Marvel and DC) super-heros seem to be the safest bet.