• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on art dealer Spencer Beck
1 1

101 posts in this topic

Hey! I'm new here!

I was wondering if anyone had any dealings with Spencer Beck? I didn't really have a good outcome, I e-mailed him in September about a question about George Perez' commissions, I wasn't planning to buy anything but I did send an example to him of what I wanted but just as a general query which was 700 in total, then I got an invoice from him but I didn't think of anything, I thought that had to be filled out once I got the money together and he would give it to Perez, not the other way around, which is what happened (and later Beck told me that is unacceptable, despite the fact many art dealers and artists I've dealt with did that), So not trying to disappoint or say anything which would cause drama and I didn't want to start drama, I said I would be able to get 700 to him, unfortunately since then (six months), I've been having many problems with bills and my home, my house is on the verge of being foreclosed, So I tried to hold the commission off and tried to keep promises I couldn't keep because something came up and didn't give updates because I thought it would be fine once I paid, when I did, and also I don't want to tell anyone about my personal problems, I don't really care now anymore,  So anyway I got a message from him telling me how I was being unfair to him and Mr. Perez and threaten to blackmail me from his artist because of this mess, It was never my idea to being disrespectful but who would want to disappoint someone, I wasn't going to say I can't pay it after he sent the invoice,  So I did respond to him and told him about why I couldn't pay and so on (He did go on saying the e-mails were rude and disrespectful with some swears, True, but I didn't swear at him, I was saying how hard it was to do this and trying to be committed and they way he e-mailed me I thought I was being disrespected because of the stuff I'm going through, and I was still trying to pay), So then he went on saying: 

"You received an invoice on 09/23/17 ... if you did not want it or could not afford it, you should have said something then. Not waited until you got an email three weeks later saying it was completed." I couldn't because he didn't say I had to pay or anything and I thought that was for when I was ready for pay and Perez would start, not the other way around, he really wasn't specific and when I told him And I didn't expect him to go ahead when I didn't think I ordered anything, So I messaged him back, apologized, got nothing back, so that's my story.

Has anyone else gone through this with this guy as well?

59 minutes ago, You’llBelieve78 said:

Hey! I'm new here!

I was wondering if anyone had any dealings with Spencer Beck? I didn't really have a good outcome, I e-mailed him in September about a question about George Perez' commissions, I wasn't planning to buy anything but I did send an example to him of what I wanted but just as a general query which was 700 in total, then I got an invoice from him but I didn't think of anything, I thought that had to be filled out once I got the money together and he would give it to Perez, not the other way around, which is what happened (and later Beck told me that is unacceptable, despite the fact many art dealers and artists I've dealt with did that), So not trying to disappoint or say anything which would cause drama and I didn't want to start drama, I said I would be able to get 700 to him, unfortunately since then (six months), I've been having many problems with bills and my home, my house is on the verge of being foreclosed, So I tried to hold the commission off and tried to keep promises I couldn't keep because something came up and didn't give updates because I thought it would be fine once I paid, when I did, and also I don't want to tell anyone about my personal problems, I don't really care now anymore,  So anyway I got a message from him telling me how I was being unfair to him and Mr. Perez and threaten to blackmail me from his artist because of this mess, It was never my idea to being disrespectful but who would want to disappoint someone, I wasn't going to say I can't pay it after he sent the invoice,  So I did respond to him and told him about why I couldn't pay and so on (He did go on saying the e-mails were rude and disrespectful with some swears, True, but I didn't swear at him, I was saying how hard it was to do this and trying to be committed and they way he e-mailed me I thought I was being disrespected because of the stuff I'm going through, and I was still trying to pay), So then he went on saying: 

"You received an invoice on 09/23/17 ... if you did not want it or could not afford it, you should have said something then. Not waited until you got an email three weeks later saying it was completed." I couldn't because he didn't say I had to pay or anything and I thought that was for when I was ready for pay and Perez would start, not the other way around, he really wasn't specific and when I told him And I didn't expect him to go ahead when I didn't think I ordered anything, So I messaged him back, apologized, got nothing back, so that's my story.

Has anyone else gone through this with this guy as well?

Look man, you sound like you're going through some trying times so please don't take this as piling on. But I always think it helps to view a situation from the opposite point of view. How would you feel if  you were Perez's rep and you told your client to do a commission, taking time out of his schedule to do it, only to then find out AFTER its done that the client can't pay for it? I bet you would be a bit upset. I've seen Perez work; he's deliberate and he puts 100% effort into his commissions. He also has been in failing health and so, its not as easy as one might think to sit down and draw. So you have to take that into account. If you weren't clear about when the artist would start the commission, you should have asked.

Again, it sounds like your personal financial difficulties are pretty bad. There's no shame in that, or in admitting that. And its admirable that you were trying to honor your commitment. But you should have been more proactive in telling Spencer when it became apparent you could not. I've bought art off Spencer before and he's connected me with various artists he reps. with me, he's always been upfront and easy to deal with. Can't speak for others. Just my two cents.

Most important, I hope your situation improves.

fwitw, I had what sounds like a similar experience with a different rep (excluding the cursing and banning chatter [although im probably banned]).  I inquired about a commission.  heard a price.  said thanks for the info.  next thing I know I get an email saying your commission is done, please pay up.  piece was cool and all...but the problem was that I never ordered anything.   I reminded him to go back through all 3 of the emails and see that never did I give the green light for a piece.  left it at that.  I'm sure the piece eventually found a home. 

I don't see any issue with an inquiry about commissions. I do it all the time (today even) as it is part of the fact finding that you have to do in order to prioritize your art buying purchases. 

IF the art was done based on a price inquiry, then I don't totally fault the OP. IF it was more than an inquiry and Spencer was given the go, then the OP should pay up. 

10 minutes ago, JadeGiant said:

I don't see any issue with an inquiry about commissions. I do it all the time (today even) as it is part of the fact finding that you have to do in order to prioritize your art buying purchases. 

IF the art was done based on a price inquiry, then I don't totally fault the OP. IF it was more than an inquiry and Spencer was given the go, then the OP should pay up. 

That’s pretty much it, I don’t ever recall giving a go to Spencer, I did ask about inquiries but I never gave an indication to buying it, though I did say I wanted something specific as just an example but I guess he took it as a go, then three weeks later he told me it was done and I had to pay up. And then I said I’d in like a few weeks but broke that promise because that was the beginning of the money problems, And then again cause everything was a bit better and hoping to surprise that I got it and pay him, I was should’ve said something but didn’t. 

Edited by You’llBelieve78

It is easier now than at any point in human history to communicate with others.  I need an irony font...sigh.

But seriously, genuinely and truly hope your situation improves.  HOWEVER...maybe instead of posting stuff like this about how he does business, go attend your own.  You had infinite opportunities to address it with him personally.  Instead...a public forum? Makes it seem a little personal and not business at all actually.  I get an invoice, I generally pay them or find out why I'm being sent a bill, which invoice is a synonym for.  I understand the 'but's' and 'well I thought's' and all, but refer to first post. Just communicate and issues hardly ever arise.  Best of luck.

And yes, a go ahead final communication should be had between both parties.

Edited by williamhlawson
silly me

3 minutes ago, williamhlawson said:

It is easier now than at any point in human history to communicate with others.  I need an irony font...sigh.

But seriously, genuinely and truly hope your situation improves.  HOWEVER...maybe instead of posting stuff like this about how he does business, go attend your own.  You had infinite opportunities to address it with him personally.  Instead...a public forum? Makes it seem a little personal and not business at all actually.  I get an invoice, I generally pay them or find out why I'm being sent a bill, which invoice is a synonym for.  I understand the 'but's' and 'well I thought's' and all, but refer to first post. Just communicate and issues hardly ever arise.  Best of luck.

And yes, a go ahead final communication should be had between both parties.

That’s the thing, I did speak to him about it, he hasn’t responded to me at all after, I was hoping to work it out, I was a bit rude by to him a little because I thought the way he emailed me was a bit uncalled for (I understand he’s representing George Perez and I haven’t paid) and also he threaten to blacklist me, So I told him what was going on, why I couldn’t pay, and was  a bit rudely because I was a bit mad about something that happened yesterday, I apologize and never got a response from him back after he responded. 

28 minutes ago, DeadpoolJr. said:

I suggest posting the emails to see what exactly was said to avoid any confusion.

Spencer is a lawyer and if iirc his e-mails all have a disclaimer at the bottom that they cannot be shared with anybody. That sorta tells you right there what you could be dealing with if you don't do everything "his" way ;)

15 minutes ago, vodou said:

Spencer is a lawyer and if iirc his e-mails all have a disclaimer at the bottom that they cannot be shared with anybody. That sorta tells you right there what you could be dealing with if you don't do everything "his" way ;)

1)....no he's not

2)....that's a common disclaimer in business. 

22 minutes ago, vodou said:

He really is a lawyer?

my impression was that the money sort of gets kept in escrow and that spencer/george does not start until payment is received................ and that the money gets held and only released if you are satisfied with the piece. i know he didn't start my commission until after he was paid.

Edited by robert frey
typo

I’m sorry about your financial situation.

With all due respect, my suspicion is that your writing lacked clarity that you were making a general inquiry. I draw this from the way you wrote your OP. It wanders.

Spencer may be a little at fault, too. He is a pretty busy guy, and maybe he read it too quickly. 

So, without more information, I would chalk this up to an unfortunate accident. Sh*t happens.

1 minute ago, Rick2you2 said:

I’m sorry about your financial situation.

With all due respect, my suspicion is that your writing lacked clarity that you were making a general inquiry. I draw this from the way you wrote your OP. It wanders.

Spencer may be a little at fault, too. He is a pretty busy guy, and maybe he read it too quickly. 

So, without more information, I would chalk this up to an unfortunate accident. Sh*t happens.

Yes true, my writing tends to lack clarification due to the fact I'm very fast at writing lol