• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on art dealer Spencer Beck
1 1

101 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, Bird said:

don't worry about the blacklist thing, it is a common tactic from Spencer but it carries no weight

8 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Except in cases such as this.

All good.

I blacklisted Spencer because...I migrated off WIN95 about twenty years ago but his web site still hasn't lol

And please...all...note that Chris caught me in a mistake lol it happens lollol

2 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

He really is a lawyer?

This is how rumors start on the interwebs....

No he's not, but he stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night....

1 hour ago, vodou said:

All good.

I blacklisted Spencer because...I migrated off WIN95 about twenty years ago but his web site still hasn't lol

I googled.. wow you're not kidding :o

1. Seems weird that just based off of one email from someone he has never worked with before, that he'd immediately send that out to Perez to be worked on

2. Posting here, at this stage, isn't going to help

3. I wouldn't post the email thread, it isn't going to help either, it'll just turn into fodder

4. I can't fathom what you hoped to gain from this post, but I hope you can turn your personal situation around and get on with your collecting life

7 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

1. Seems weird that just based off of one email from someone he has never worked with before, that he'd immediately send that out to Perez to be worked on

2. Posting here, at this stage, isn't going to help

3. I wouldn't post the email thread, it isn't going to help either, it'll just turn into fodder

4. I can't fathom what you hoped to gain from this post, but I hope you can turn your personal situation around and get on with your collecting life

Agreed. He should just let this die.

FWIW, I have purchased a number of lower priced pieces and higher priced splashes/covers from Spencer, in person and over email, and never had any issues.

The commission business can be tough on all three sides (artist, artist rep and collector).  And communication is KEY.  As we all know, there are a lot of unhappy/unfortunate stories, for a variety of reasons. And with George Perez any normal issues are magnified given his health issues and that he only has time for a limited number of commissions each year etc.. 

I'm also sorry the OP is having severe financial issues.  That must really be rough.** 

BUT . . . even if there was some miscommunication in the early email exchange (and I have to give the slight benefit of the doubt there to Spencer based on OP's writing style here but even moreso that OP sent Spencer a sample of what he was looking for - usually a sign you are moving forward)---once OP received an invoice, at that moment the responsibility would have shifted to OP to clear up the issue and put a stop to it. 

When you get a bill in the mail for something you didn't order, you don't stick it in a drawer--you contact the sender and say "I didn't order this" or here "Sorry Spencer for the miscommunication but I wasn't ready to move forward.  I hope George hasn't started on the commission, etc. . . ."   I pulled up an old invoice from Spencer I had handy in an email and it had real invoice type language and did not look ambiguous.  It had language about the total amount due, plus shipping options and charges, what payment is acceptable, where to send payment, etc. etc. 

I also agree with several prior comments that I don't see what is accomplished by this thread (except as a caveat or lesson for others which could have been communicated without naming Spencer).

My 2 cents.

**unfortunately one also cannot help think why someone who is that close to potentially having financial issues would be looking to order a $700 commission.

5 minutes ago, Ironmandrd said:

FWIW, I have purchased a number of lower priced pieces and higher priced splashes/covers from Spencer, in person and over email, and never had any issues.

The commission business can be tough on all three sides (artist, artist rep and collector).  And communication is KEY.  As we all know, there are a lot of unhappy/unfortunate stories, for a variety of reasons. And with George Perez any normal issues are magnified given his health issues and that he only has time for a limited number of commissions each year etc.. 

I'm also sorry the OP is having severe financial issues.  That must really be rough.** 

BUT . . . even if there was some miscommunication in the early email exchange (and I have to give the slight benefit of the doubt there to Spencer based on OP's writing style here but even moreso that OP sent Spencer a sample of what he was looking for - usually a sign you are moving forward)---once OP received an invoice, at that moment the responsibility would have shifted to OP to clear up the issue and put a stop to it. 

When you get a bill in the mail for something you didn't order, you don't stick it in a drawer--you contact the sender and say "I didn't order this" or here "Sorry Spencer for the miscommunication but I wasn't ready to move forward.  I hope George hasn't started on the commission, etc. . . ."   I pulled up an old invoice from Spencer I had handy in an email and it had real invoice type language and did not look ambiguous.  It had language about the total amount due, plus shipping options and charges, what payment is acceptable, where to send payment, etc. etc. 

I also agree with several prior comments that I don't see what is accomplished by this thread (except as a caveat or lesson for others which could have been communicated without naming Spencer).

My 2 cents.

**unfortunately one also cannot help think why someone who is that close to potentially having financial issues would be looking to order a $700 commission.

Bang on post.

50 minutes ago, Ironmandrd said:

My 2 cents.

True, I thought the invoice it was for me when I was able to pay because that's how I thought things worked, I'm still a bit new at this , And I also asked about the commission before I had financial problems and was hoping to pay soon, though my job doesn’t pay well so it would be a while to pay, I didn’t think to say anything about canceling because of that reason, around the time the piece was finished ( a few weeks after) was when my financial problems came about, also I’m slightly autistic so it’s a bit difficult to understand a few things and also why my writing style is a bit confusing. Yea, the reason I posted this was because as a lesson for others who have problems like this as well.  

Edited by You’llBelieve78

9 hours ago, Pirate said:

So what type of commission do you get for $700?

From CAF, and note the requirement of payment up front, which raises a whole 'nother question of whether the OP has a good reason to be disturbed:

Each commission will be limited to one single character per drawing,  
usually drawn with Copic markers with added pencil tones on 9 x 12 Bristol 
board. . I prefer using the pencil tones because detailed ink work is a bit eye 
wearying right now, especially with my vision treatments still ongoing. No 
backgrounds will be added unless I choose to add something minimal subject 
to my own judgement on the composition. 
The price is $700.00 plus shipping, which I know is not cheap, but I will 
try to make it worth the cost.  
Payment in full would be required before the commission will be started. 
However, it will be held in escrow so if at any time you wish a full refund 
( and your piece has not yet been started ) the money can be refunded to 
you within 1 business day. Depending on the number of orders, it may take a 
substantial amount of time and there is no guarantee that I will be able to 
draw every request I receive.  

4 minutes ago, dirtymartini1 said:

Good thing it wasn't a $15k commish for a Lake Como Jim Lee. They would of put a lien on your house and took a kidney.

True lol, I also have to say thanks to everyone who posted as these posts have helped me understand more and alerted more on the business, 

2 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

From CAF, and note the requirement of payment up front, which raises a whole 'nother question of whether the OP has a good reason to be disturbed:

To be honest, this is the first time I'm seeing this, I didn't check on the CAF site, just checked online talking about the commissions and contact info, in which I asked pretty general query, but with my style of writing might've meant something else.

29 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

That's good stuff right there.