• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on art dealer Spencer Beck
1 1

101 posts in this topic

39 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

If you read the thread again, you will come to realize that not all was as stated by the OP.

I'm not sure an apology is in order. I think letting it drop would be more sensible.

While we do know the OP's writing isn't too hot, we don't really know if Spence should have known if the OP was not making an offer to buy but just making a general inquiry. Since Spence asserted the claim that it was an offer to buy, he would have the burden of proving he was right. He might be right; he might not. We just don't know (and honestly, I don't want to spend even more time on the question to figure it out, so no more information, please).

By the way, I have dealt with Spence, and I like him. He is apparently overworked, but he does what he can. So I am absolutely not being critical of him, either. 

Just let it die.

So much more interesting to waste time thinking about Spielberg doing a movie version of Blackhawk. He's pretty busy these days, however, so it's not likely to be done Chop-Chop.

I asked Spencer about this thread and he agreed with many of the posters to just let this thread die as it is not worth the stress fighting over.  However, he did want to clarify one specific point, which is that at no time did he ever swear at the OP, and in fact, it was the OP who swore at Spencer multiple times in multiple emails.

16 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I asked Spencer about this thread and he agreed with many of the posters to just let this thread die as it is not worth the stress fighting over.  However, he did want to clarify one specific point, which is that at no time did he ever swear at the OP, and in fact, it was the OP who swore at Spencer multiple times in multiple emails.

I never said he sweared at me and I said I did that, I mentioned it in one of my posts and I only sweared twice in one email, not multiple 

Edited by You’llBelieve78

2 minutes ago, You’llBelieve78 said:

I never said he sweared at me and I said I did that, I mentioned it in one of my posts and I only sweared twice in one email, not multiple 

Then your statement here from your first email is confusing, whereby you stated that you didn't swear at him...

"So I did respond to him and told him about why I couldn't pay and so on (He did go on saying the e-mails were rude and disrespectful with some swears, True, but I didn't swear at him, I was saying how hard it was to do this and trying to be committed and they way he e-mailed me I thought I was being disrespected because of the stuff I'm going through, and I was still trying to pay),"

1 minute ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Then your statement here from your first email is confusing, whereby you stated that you didn't swear at him...

"So I did respond to him and told him about why I couldn't pay and so on (He did go on saying the e-mails were rude and disrespectful with some swears, True, but I didn't swear at him, I was saying how hard it was to do this and trying to be committed and they way he e-mailed me I thought I was being disrespected because of the stuff I'm going through, and I was still trying to pay),"

I did mean to add I it’s true I did swear, but not attacking him, This is the email he was talking about with the swear words. 

7F561322-51A2-4295-BCFB-2B25D84BC0A4.jpeg

14 hours ago, Twanj said:

Yep that’s pretty tame, bordering on preteen at this point. The general incoherence is far more offensive. :shy:

True, 

I posted the email of what I said and it was only one email and leave it at that 

Edited by You’llBelieve78

We do tend to get these threads about Spencer fairly often though.  Of the big dealers, he has to have the second worst reputation, right?  I had a misunderstanding with him in 2013.  Honestly, I feel like it was because of his lack of diligence on his part.  However, he came across accusingly and I felt like I had to defend myself.  It wasn't a position I liked to be in.  So, I just stopped doing business with him. 

5 hours ago, Bill C said:

C'mon, this has got to be way off. Second worst rep? If you want to say horribly outdated website, that really can't be argued. Slow to respond (at times) due to workload? Sure. But as a person he's extremely cool and as far as business he seems very honorable to me. Never heard of him screwing anyone over, although many other big dealers- some with reps as nice guys- have done some flat out devious, low integrity/borderline criminal nonsense. Done many deals with Spencer and he is very fair, trustworthy, and reasonable IMO. 

I have to agree that Spencer Beck has always been forthright and direct, at times even conversationally friendly via emails and apologetic when inquired items are unavailable.  It might be more "user error" when it comes to negative dealings, possibly in the manner of communication.  He's taken a lot of criticism, many public posts, so to balance that out, I'd add to Bill's testimonial that Spencer is an honorable man.  Yeah, his website isn't the best right now, but it's not the worst either, and it's more to his detriment than anything else, in lacking a good eCommerce shopping cart and having scans for all inventory and removal of sold inventory, but if you know what you're looking for (artist, title and page) you can often find hidden gem deals without images for others to window shop with too. 

I also have not heard of any moral reputation issues with Spencer.

website, is it in stock, timeliness, etc pops up but he's doing his best & as far as I can tell he's a good guy.

6 hours ago, Bill C said:

C'mon, this has got to be way off. Second worst rep? If you want to say horribly outdated website, that really can't be argued. Slow to respond (at times) due to workload? Sure. But as a person he's extremely cool and as far as business he seems very honorable to me. Never heard of him screwing anyone over, although many other big dealers- some with reps as nice guys- have done some flat out devious, low integrity/borderline criminal nonsense. Done many deals with Spencer and he is very fair, trustworthy, and reasonable IMO. 

I never questioned his honor.  I just pointed out how often people have complained on these boards.  Maybe it was lack of communication.  Maybe website issues.  Maybe inventory issues.  But he definitely appears to get more complaints than anyone else other than coollines.  Am I wrong?  Maybe other people's complains don't mirror your experience but it is hard to deny that many are left dissatisfied after dealing with him. 

25 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

What?!?  That's not my experience nor the experience of almost everyone I know.

First, he's not a dealer. He's a rep. There's a pretty big difference between the two...but that's the most important point. That would be the next one.

I am just mentioning how often people have complained on these boards.  I had a bad experience but almost everyone I know has not had a bad experience with Spencer.  So I will agree with you on that point.

i will also agree with you that he is not a dealer.  He is a rep.  My apologies.  But now that I think about it, I do not know of a rep who has a worse track record on these boards than Spencer.  Feel free to enlighten me but has anyone other rep been questioned as much as Spencer?  I understand that he has another job and he is trying the best he can.  He may be hiring more help...  but there are still plenty of people who are left unhappy with their experience.  

4 hours ago, Claudio said:

I am just mentioning how often people have complained on these boards.  I had a bad experience but almost everyone I know has not had a bad experience with Spencer.  So I will agree with you on that point.

i will also agree with you that he is not a dealer.  He is a rep.  My apologies.  But now that I think about it, I do not know of a rep who has a worse track record on these boards than Spencer.  Feel free to enlighten me but has anyone other rep been questioned as much as Spencer?  I understand that he has another job and he is trying the best he can.  He may be hiring more help...  but there are still plenty of people who are left unhappy with their experience.  

There is a big difference between someone who is honestly doing the best they can, and a stinker. I would also be hesitant to call out a stinker by name. 

One further comment: he has apparently taken the criticisms to heart and his service seems better than some of the comments I have seen about his past dealings.

Let me add my support for Spencer, again.  

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

There is a big difference between someone who is honestly doing the best they can, and a stinker.

Yes I agree. But incompetence by design is still incompetence.

Claudio (and I am with him on this one) is right. And those who disagree are also right. There can be two truths here.