• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ever Used Express Drop Off At A Con?

13 posts in this topic

Perhaps my experience is an anomaly relative to others but I submitted two signature books at "Awesome Con" in DC on March 31, 2018, Con finished up on April 1, 2018, however the submissions presented in CGC's system today (April 16, 2018).  I am guessing, common sense would dictate that the clock on TAT begins today.  I am not complaining per se, just recognizing that I suppose I didn't expect the submission to take 2 weeks to be entered into the system.  Does anyone know if the 2 week period is pretty standard or not for any express drop, signature book(s) or not?

9 minutes ago, JohnFranklin said:

Perhaps my experience is an anomaly relative to others but I submitted two signature books at "Awesome Con" in DC on March 31, 2018, Con finished up on April 1, 2018, however the submissions presented in CGC's system today (April 16, 2018).  I am guessing, common sense would dictate that the clock on TAT begins today.  I am not complaining per se, just recognizing that I suppose I didn't expect the submission to take 2 weeks to be entered into the system.  Does anyone know if the 2 week period is pretty standard or not for any express drop, signature book(s) or not?

Express drop off at C2E2 was anything but. I was in line for an hour just to drop off for submission. Had I known it was going to take so long I would have just mailed it in. This was the first time for me trying the express drop off. 

7 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

About 3 weeks to 2 is standard for modern tier. Is that what your asking?

I don't think so, the question is, once the CGC rep takes possession of your submission is it pretty standard that the submission takes two weeks to get entered into their system, hence starting the TAT clock.

From what I understand Express drop off is when you have your forms prepared in advanced and they have an express spot at the booth so you don't have to wait in the regular line. At least that is what I did at Wondercon last month.

Signature series does not have forms available online anymore. So it wouldn't be express drop off for those.

From my submissions my express drop off books did get received into the system first and my signature books later. Shipping was a few days to CGC then a week to a week and half after that for the books to check in.

Edited by STORMSHADOW_80

2 minutes ago, JohnFranklin said:

I don't think so, the question is, once the CGC rep takes possession of your submission is it pretty standard that the submission takes two weeks to get entered into their system, hence starting the TAT clock.

That all depends on how many books they have to unpack.... for con season, yes that is normal.....but there is no "standard".... each submission is unique, but for con season that is normal. Point is sometimes better sometimes worse believe it or not.

39 minutes ago, JohnFranklin said:

I've never done this but two weeks sounds reasonable, especially during convention season. They have to ship the books back to Sarasota. The next week they were on the road again in Chicago, with onsite grading. I believe there was another concurrent con in Texas so most of the staff was probably Out of Office for the whole week.  

I may be wrong given my limited experience with CGC and getting comics graded but I am thinking that the only advantage to "Express Drop Off" is avoiding the labor to pack up the books and the shipping expense to get the books to CGC\Florida at least in terms of 2 or 3 books.  As I mentioned in the OP 2 weeks to get entered into the system and currently for at least 4 working days, maybe 5 my invoice for the books present as "Graded" with no grade listed.  Admittedly, I have submitted books, maybe 5 times for grading, shipping them to CGC\Florida and within 3 or 4 working days of arrival they are entered into the system and I seem to recall once the invoice presents as "Graded" the books are graded. 

Is my experience an anomaly, is it just the volume CGC is working with at this point (start of CON season) or is it something else?  Perhaps my experience is normal?  Any perspective\input will be appreciated.

Edited by JohnFranklin

On 4/16/2018 at 7:36 PM, JohnFranklin said:

That was your first mistake.