• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern ASM: A study in Lameness or why Disney sucks

34 posts in this topic

So after the second vol, I somehow got sucked in but dropped ASM with #700 and yet another reset.

I believe there were 50 something covers to the volume #3 no.1 ???

How long before this title relaunches yet again I wonder.  Sure you can point out the money on 50 variant covers, but does all the dead space between relaunches make this worth it?

This is one Spidey fan who considers Spider-man gone forever after #700.

Edited by NP_Gresham

3 hours ago, bababooey said:

I thought there was already a reboot scheduled for after 801 (Slott's last issue) with Nick Spencer starting on the title. (shrug)

Yes, with probably a lower print run than Slott's ASM #798 and #800 so the Spencer ASM #1 will say sure fire Premiere :blush: 'Collector's Item' right on the front cover ... again.

15 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

Yes, with probably a lower print run than Slott's ASM #798 and #800 so the Spencer ASM #1 will say sure fire Premiere :blush: 'Collector's Item' right on the front cover ... again.

Count me in ONLY if it comes in a baggie and has a trading card.

23 minutes ago, Avi said:

Plus ASM team up with Mickey Mouse: 2 of Disney's largest global properties... together ... in 1 comic ! Polybagged with Deadpool, Cable, Domino or Shatterstar card randomly signed by Liefeld since Liefeld has problems drawing Mickey's feet. A Clash of Titans, and :flipbait: Lo, there shall be a Reckoning!  

1 hour ago, sportello said:

I suppose the barrier to entry is low for newbies if there's always going to be another #1 around the corner. 

Yeah, but a relaunch was a great jumping-off point for old-time collectors like me that was buying books just to keep up with numbering.

2 hours ago, Avi said:

They should try an envelope-style cover. Have a glue flap that extends off the front cover and gets glued onto the back. Have a big "TOP SECRET" stamp on the front, and make collectors rip their comics open if they want to read it.

I stopped my Spider-Man story for myself at the conclusion of maximum carnage. Green goblin stayed dead after 122. There was no crazy mephisto stuff or anything like that either. And no dan slot or reboots. Now I just like to look at covers.

Edited by jason4

17 hours ago, NP_Gresham said:

ASM ended at 441. It had nothing to do with Disney.

1 hour ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

They should try an envelope-style cover. Have a glue flap that extends off the front cover and gets glued onto the back. Have a big "TOP SECRET" stamp on the front, and make collectors rip their comics open if they want to read it.

Like Detective Comics 700, but with glue?

1 hour ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Yeah, but a relaunch was a great jumping-off point for old-time collectors like me that was buying books just to keep up with numbering.

Those people should have quit nearly all of Marvel 2 decades ago.

I would say just stick to 700 and earlier.  If you run out of stuff to collect, get all the newsstand and directs.  If you run out of those, get the 30 and 35 cent variants.  If you run out of those, get all the mark jewelers (and other) inserts and whitmans.  If run out of those get all the reprints (like 2nd/3rd printing).  If you run out of those get all the variants.  If you run out of those get the variant reprints.  If you run out of those get any convention editions.   If you run out of those get the foreign editions.  If you run out of those, congratulations and start getting higher grade copies or pedigrees.

I think this will be more fun than collecting the newest stuff.  There's a lot, but at least its finite.  Of course you could also do the same thing but stop at 441.

15 hours ago, bababooey said:

I thought there was already a reboot scheduled for after 801 (Slott's last issue) with Nick Spencer starting on the title. (shrug)

1st appearance of Nazi Spidey or Antifa Spidey. Hard to say which but the betting line is even because it is Spencer after all

8 hours ago, revat said:

I would say just stick to 700 and earlier.  If you run out of stuff to collect, get all the newsstand and directs.  If you run out of those, get the 30 and 35 cent variants.  If you run out of those, get all the mark jewelers (and other) inserts and whitmans.  If run out of those get all the reprints (like 2nd/3rd printing).  If you run out of those get all the variants.  If you run out of those get the variant reprints.  If you run out of those get any convention editions.   If you run out of those get the foreign editions.  If you run out of those, congratulations and start getting higher grade copies or pedigrees.

I think this will be more fun than collecting the newest stuff.  There's a lot, but at least its finite.  Of course you could also do the same thing but stop at 441.

I actually did all that! You forgot pence, Canadians, Australians, Pizzazz inserts,  misprints.....

What to do after achieving it though, that's the thing hm

On 17/04/2018 at 5:20 AM, NP_Gresham said:

So after the second vol, I somehow got sucked in but dropped ASM with #700 and yet another reset.

I believe there were 50 something covers to the volume #3 no.1 ???

How long before this title relaunches yet again I wonder.  Sure you can point out the money on 50 variant covers, but does all the dead space between relaunches make this worth it?

I agree with the sentiments personally, but he can't go on forever in the manner we'd like, a bit like the boards (see lizard threads), music, TV, etc etc

Now, do us a favour and make that ASm title m a capital M would you? It's troubling me (thumbsu

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 4:31 PM, NP_Gresham said:

Bothered me too

I am bothered by the fact that the cover price to ASM #800 is a lofty :insane: $9.95 US for a non-square bound, floppy comic. Then add the higher retail prices for your Variant cover of choice plus tax!

I Think in about 3 weeks we will see an Influx of ASM 800s CGC Variants on the Bay  Which Variants do you thing will command highest demand? 

Now I know there are Many Store Esxclusives and The Delotto, Mobeius and Ditko Incentives

Looking at The  12 Covers(Not Exclusive or Incentives)

There is

Ross (Standard)

Ramos 

Romita

Bagley

Frenz

Cambell 

Rivera

Dodson 

Land

Bradshaw

Cassady

Cho

I personally Picked up the Midtown Exclusive and Delotto Virgin

As Far as Store Versions I am at a LOSS WAY too Many... I actually Couldn't Decide which if Any I like  (Parillo, Mayhew, Kirman I Got Midtowns Because I got the Venom.  )