• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official "Does Anyone Know Where/If/When This Art Was Printed?" Thread
1 1

91 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, CartoonFanboy said:

I asked the Facebook community on Tom Grummett's fan page about this and I got the following info:

"Yes. This was used for WB Store Puzzle. I still have mine." John S. Jr.

Here's the image he included:

wbpuzzle.jpg 

Thanks so much for the help! 

5 hours ago, J.Sid said:

Thanks a million! This was my first piece of OA, purchased 15+ years ago at Comic-Con. It's been sitting with me unidentified ever since.

Hey Jeff,

Here is a scan of the published page to have as "proof" of publication, as well as a scan of the cover for the issue, in case you want to hunt down a copy....

UltraversePremiere0p25clr.jpg

UltraversePremiere0clr.jpg

On 5/6/2018 at 11:45 AM, The Voord said:

http://www.null-entropy.com/2012/04/wally-wood1927-1981the-galaxy-illustrations-pt-2/

Scroll down the page.  Your illo *appears* to have been used for the August 1959 edition of GALAXY MAGAZINE.

Here's a similar one:

wood_1959_08_galaxy_e.jpg

Success! Thanks, Terry! I guess all I had to do was get really busy at work and not have time to check this thread for a week or two for it to come to life.

Here's a new one, as I sink, quicksandish, into the muck of obscurity. I think it was in a 70s National Lampoon knock-off called Apple Pie, or it was supposed to be. I don't have any Apple Pies -- can anyone verify if it was, and in what issue?

1haOHtZo_2811171527401gpadd.thumb.jpg.9bf3f1288835470adf0c28a13d18b6a5.jpg

On 5/6/2018 at 12:45 PM, The Voord said:

http://www.null-entropy.com/2012/04/wally-wood1927-1981the-galaxy-illustrations-pt-2/

Scroll down the page.  Your illo *appears* to have been used for the August 1959 edition of GALAXY MAGAZINE.

Here's a similar one:

wood_1959_08_galaxy_e.jpg

There’s a scan of the issue here, so you can see it was an illustration for the story License to Steal by Louis Newman.

1 hour ago, rotembk said:

There’s a scan of the issue here, so you can see it was an illustration for the story License to Steal by Louis Newman.

Excellent! Thank you -- I can't wait to read it.

Let's try something a little more mainstream. This lovely Finlay is a mystery to me. I know there is usually info on the back of his pieces, but this one is on a board that is dry mounted to another board, so until I have a restorer remove it...

finlay.jpg.a54be5b80ed84f637d505596f769ae6f.jpg

I am usually pretty good at identifying art, and am actually a resource for others when it comes to '90s art. So it has always been frustrating that I cannot find this published image anywhere, but I KNOW it was published somewhere because I remember the image vividly in color. But it has driven me nuts for over 12 years now so I might as well try here as well with my fingers crossed lol.

This was set to be the cover to Wildstorm Swimsuit #1, which was later switched for a Jim Lee cover instead. It may have been solicited in color as the cover in Previews or Wizard or something, or maybe it was used as a house ad in the books but it wasn't published as a pinup in any of their swimsuit books. I have shared it to the Yahoo group and a couple Wildstorm groups and people recognize it but can't remember where. Had to have been drawn around 1994 or so. It is super clean with no white out or corrections, and features several key Wildstorm ladies so it seems unlikely that it was completely unused. It is unsigned but I recognized it immediately when I bought it as pencils by Scott Clark and back in 2008 he was able to confirm it was him and he thought it was Sal Regla on inks, but other than that he couldn't remember where or even if it was published. Unfortunately Scott probably did more swimsuit pieces than anyone else at Wildstorm so it blurred his memory a lot 15 or so years later lol. At one point I even hand colored a copy by memory and tried Google image searches but still nothing.

Does anyone recognize this and know where it was published in color?

WS Swimsuit.jpg

Need a little help here.  The attached (if the image doesn't attach for some reason please follow this link: http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=4310) Kevin Maguire piece was done for the Adventures of Captain America series that came out in 1991/1992.  

This image was used for a t-shirt (I have seen a picture before but did not save it) and (if my memory serves) for comic shop poster ads in the early 1990s but I can't seem to find images of either.  Not sure if the image has appeared in any reprintings of the series into trade format (I don't own any of the trades). 

Can anyone out there help me find some pictures of where this image was published?  

Striking out on Google images! 

Thank you in advance.

DSC_7920.JPG

On 5/8/2018 at 8:18 AM, Weird Paper said:

Here's a new one, as I sink, quicksandish, into the muck of obscurity. I think it was in a 70s National Lampoon knock-off called Apple Pie, or it was supposed to be. I don't have any Apple Pies -- can anyone verify if it was, and in what issue?

1haOHtZo_2811171527401gpadd.thumb.jpg.9bf3f1288835470adf0c28a13d18b6a5.jpg

It did not appear in Apple Pie #1. That’s the only issue I have.

Let's try to keep this puppy alive! I realize this little Wally Wood drawing is probably not published, but does anyone recognize the character? Is it something from his vast body of work?

woodlion.jpg

I'd like to play. I bought this piece a few years ago from Steve Schanes of Pacific Comics fame in an eBay auction. The description read:
     SHAZAM Captain Marvel Original Pencil & Copied Bkgd C. C. BECK #1U818
     Size: 11.25" x 8.5" 
     Drawn for the publication of Fanzine
     Original Captain Marvel "Shazam" & Words were drawn by C. C. Beck
     Klang the Killer and background are copied

and that description seems 100% accurate. However, it didn't have the fanzine name and I'd like to know than and try to get a copy of it. 

So, I wrote to Steve, but no luck. He wrote back:

I traded for the SHAZAM Captain Marvel Original Pencil & Copied Bkgd
     C. C. BECK about 3 years ago with a CC Beck collector who was also a close friend 
     of CC Beck.

At the time of this transaction he told me the name of the fanzine but I have 
     forgotten.

Drat! 

Does anyone recognize it? Click to see a bigger image.

Captain Marvel (Fanzine Cover) by C. C. Beck Comic Art

Edited by alxjhnsn