• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official "Does Anyone Know Where/If/When This Art Was Printed?" Thread
1 1

91 posts in this topic

I'm back to beat on this dead horse even though it's clearly entered rigor mortise. This is by noted children's book author & artist Lane Smith, whose originals are pretty rare. I'm guessing my odds of identifying this one are probably on par with the odds of Pete Davidson and Ariana Grande's marriage lasting beyond one election cycle, but what the hell...

lanesmith.jpg

This is deviating a little from the topic, but can anyone help me identify the artist via the sketch or the signature? I asked an artist at SDCC sometime in the mid to late 90s for a quick sketch on a comic backing board and he gave me this. I must have recognized his name at the time, but I am now drawing a blank. Most likely at the Wildstorm or Top Cow booths. I'm not looking to sell it, but it would be nice to know the artist behind it.

sdcc_sketch.jpg

Here's another one... just 'cause it's Friday the 13th. This is allegedly a small Hannes Bok painting. Still trying to authenticate it, so I'm not altogether sure.

I've searched his artwork on line and not found it. Excuse the glare, it's matted and wrapped.

Bok.jpg

I was hoping that Bok would strike a chord with somebody. I want to make a proper offer on it, but it helps to know if it ever saw print.

I recently picked up a batch of 85 pieces of comic art (mostly) to sell, many of which I need to identify printing history and even, in a few cases, artist. As I get the chance, I will post some here and continue to pick at the scab that is this thread.

On 7/13/2018 at 1:25 PM, gabadilla said:

This is deviating a little from the topic, but can anyone help me identify the artist via the sketch or the signature? I asked an artist at SDCC sometime in the mid to late 90s for a quick sketch on a comic backing board and he gave me this. I must have recognized his name at the time, but I am now drawing a blank. Most likely at the Wildstorm or Top Cow booths. I'm not looking to sell it, but it would be nice to know the artist behind it.

sdcc_sketch.jpg

That's Dan Fraga and it's a character from Black Flag.

19.jpg

On 5/31/2018 at 12:56 PM, Unca Ben said:

One more... this pencil drawing may have been used in an article or fan mag.  Anybody?
AH_scarletwitch_med.thumb.JPG.d958bc27caed87fa735e5dc02b7ceb47.JPG

This panel comes from a Wizard Magazine art tutorial. I don't have the original magazine publication, but it is reprinted in the 2005 book How to Draw: The Best of Wizard Basic Training on page 61. 

Let's stir up this hornet's nest of indifference with a slightly different query:

This is the cover to Laugh Comics 381 by Dan DeCarlo. The art has been glued to oversized illustration board with its stats, etc. On the back it says something about "1961, reused again in 1984." Laugh 381 is from 1984, but my searches have turned up nothing from 1961 that looks like this. Plus the fashions probably don't look right for 1961. Anyone have any light they can shed on this one? I'm no Archie expert, so any intel is appreciated.

laugh.JPG

And to keep piling on, these next two fall under the who? as much as the where? but since this is where I am...
I can't ID the artist or any publication info on this. Could be unpublished, could be a poster, could be a commission. I don't know this "AV" signature at all.

Sonja.JPG

Edited by Weird Paper

And this is a prelim of, maybe, a Star Wars comic? Looks like a lightsabre in her hand. The sig is not familiar to me. Ignore the copyright stamp. That's from the page beneath it.

Stwars.JPG

SWSig.JPG

Edited by Weird Paper

3 hours ago, Weird Paper said:

And this is a prelim of, maybe, a Star Wars comic? Looks like a lightsabre in her hand. The sig is not familiar to me. Ignore the copyright stamp. That's from the page beneath it.

Stwars.JPG

SWSig.JPG

Its Dave Dorman, not sure what from though.

3 hours ago, Weird Paper said:

Stwars.JPG

SWSig.JPG

It looks like it might be part of the Wasted Lands project that he's been working on for the last few years.

He's pretty responsive on social media (facebook) if you ping him there.

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 11:53 AM, Weird Paper said:

And to keep piling on, these next two fall under the who? as much as the where? but since this is where I am...
I can't ID the artist or any publication info on this. Could be unpublished, could be a poster, could be a commission. I don't know this "AV" signature at all.

Sonja.JPG

Well, the Comic publishing rights to the Red Sonja character have been with Dynamite for over a decade. So, this must be from one of their titles.

On 4/18/2018 at 9:53 AM, Weird Paper said:

Crickets. That means this is either a bad idea for a thread or nobody has ever seen the Von Eeden before. I'll double down and try another.

This is Nebres, and I'm pretty sure it's Red Sonja. It has a sizing percentage written on the back which would put at at the size of a magazine page. Anybody ever seen it? Bueller?

nebressonja.jpg

This is more than likely printed in an issue of savage sword of Conan. I was always seeing Nebres do pieces for portfolios in the late 70s. Possibly could be a frontispiece also.