• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC's BLACKHAWK directed by Steven Spielberg (TBD)
1 1

33 posts in this topic

Steven Spielberg, the most influential blockbuster director of all time, will join the comic book movie fray with a film adaptation of DC's Blackhawk war comics.

The Hollywood Reporter says that Spielberg's frequent collaborator David Koepp will write the screenplay for the film, which Spielberg will produce and may direct after he has completed work on the as-yet-untitled fifth Indiana Jones movie.

“We are so proud to be the studio behind Steven Spielberg’s latest hit, and are thrilled to be working with him again on this new action adventure,” said Warner Bros. Pictures Group chairman Toby Emmerich. “We can’t wait to see what new ground he will break in introducing Blackhawk to movie audiences worldwide.”

Like the recently-announced New Gods movie from Ava DuVernay, it seems likely that Blackhawk will have little or no ties to the interconnected DC superhero universe, and will largely exist in its own space, giving its name filmmaker room to move.

The Blackhawk Squadron, ace pilots, spies, and combatants, first appeared in 1941 in Quality Comics publications. They were created by Chuck Cuidera, Bob Powell, and Will Eisner. Originally they were an international group led by an American called Blackhawk; later, the Blackhawk Squadron would become a more egalitarian group where the heroes were all "Blackhawks." Lady Blackhawk, a woman named Zinda Blake, was brought from her original World War II setting to the current-day DC Universe as part of the Zero Hour: A Crisis in Time crossover in 1994 and became a supporting character in books like Guy Gardner: Warrior and Birds of Prey.

Took them long enough!

DC's early 80's revival of Blackhawk by Mark Evanier and Dan Spiegle came about because DC wanted to have a comic on the stands to take advantage of Spielberg's interest in doing a Blackhawk movie. 

I'll be curious if DC does the same thing this time around and gives them a new title. I'm also curious which of the many versions of Blackhawk Spielberg is going to work from. My guess is the original, but he could use elements from the Chaykin run as well. 

seems like dc has a lot of movies in the 'hopper' now, but how many are 'for sure' other than Aquaman and Flash and WW2? 

Batgirl? Birds of Prey? New Gods? Batman? Supes? JL2?  SS2, Green Lantern Corps, and now Blackhawks.  My money is on whichever movie has Harley Quinn as the priority (try to get her in three movies while she's still young).

11 minutes ago, revat said:

seems like dc has a lot of movies in the 'hopper' now, but how many are 'for sure' other than Aquaman and Flash and WW2? 

Batgirl? Birds of Prey? New Gods? Batman? Supes? JL2?  SS2, Green Lantern Corps, and now Blackhawks.  My money is on whichever movie has Harley Quinn as the priority (try to get her in three movies while she's still young).

I would say Matt Reeves Batman and Birds of Prey will most definately get made first.

3 hours ago, revat said:

I would say Birds of Prey, Batgirl is going to happen since they both have the same writer and Batgirl movie is set after the events of Birds of Prey. SS2 would most likely happen since it made money and would start filming sometime next year hopefully. but Blackhawks can be any type of movie it can be a standalone movie with no ties to the DCEU films or it can we just have to wait and see.

4 hours ago, revat said:

cyborg? flash starring ezra miller? flashpoint? joker? plop:the movie?

Edited by paperheart

1 minute ago, paperheart said:
4 hours ago, revat said:

cyborg? flash starring ezra miller? flashpoint? joker?

I mentioned flash above, but I'm not sure if that's the same as flashpoint.  I'm pretty sure that's a confirmed thing THAT WILLL HAPPEN.  I forgot Cyborg, which I think was a sure thing before Justice League, but now I'm less sure, though I haven't checked.  And there's not going to be Joker movie for a long time I think, unless its as the villain in a Batman movie (which I thought had deathstroke? is that still a thing?)

I just read some of the other threads, looks like BOP is pretty much a go and is scheduled to shoot (and will be paired with Batgirl).  It also seems like SS2 is a go too....but with somewhat less certainty?

Suicide Squad was fine (better than BvS), and it made money, but it didn't set the world on fire (see Wonder Woman).  But I don't think people are clamoring for a sequel, other than they want Harley in something else, which you would think would be Birds of Prey (w Harley and Katana).  Maybe they try to capitalize and double dip the Harley?  I'd be careful about burning people out on Harley, I think the Harley/Joker movie is primed to be the biggest money maker if done correctly.

28 minutes ago, revat said:

I mentioned flash above, but I'm not sure if that's the same as flashpoint.  I'm pretty sure that's a confirmed thing THAT WILLL HAPPEN.  I forgot Cyborg, which I think was a sure thing before Justice League, but now I'm less sure, though I haven't checked.  And there's not going to be Joker movie for a long time I think, unless its as the villain in a Batman movie (which I thought had deathstroke? is that still a thing?)

I just read some of the other threads, looks like BOP is pretty much a go and is scheduled to shoot (and will be paired with Batgirl).  It also seems like SS2 is a go too....but with somewhat less certainty?

Suicide Squad was fine (better than BvS), and it made money, but it didn't set the world on fire (see Wonder Woman).  But I don't think people are clamoring for a sequel, other than they want Harley in something else, which you would think would be Birds of Prey (w Harley and Katana).  Maybe they try to capitalize and double dip the Harley?  I'd be careful about burning people out on Harley, I think the Harley/Joker movie is primed to be the biggest money maker if done correctly.

Isn't the solo Joker movie still a go?

As in...even three weeks ago there were multiple articles about it: directed by Todd Phillips, produced by Scorsese, possibly with Joaquin Phoenix or Leo in the role?

Out of all of this, I feel bad for Ezra Miller. He's a phenomenal actor (see We Need to Talk About Kevin) but his Peter-Parker-style characterization of The Flash in Justice League just rubbed me the wrong way. Wasn't his fault, mind you -- he did what was called for by the directors and -script, but...

He could have been well on his way to headlining an amazing Flash 2 by now.

Instead, we're left waiting to see if he'll still be around when they make a solo Flash film.

Or maybe Gambit will come out first...

16 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Isn't the solo Joker movie still a go?

As in...even three weeks ago there were multiple articles about it: directed by Todd Phillips, produced by Scorsese, possibly with Joaquin Phoenix or Leo in the role?

Out of all of this, I feel bad for Ezra Miller. He's a phenomenal actor (see We Need to Talk About Kevin) but his Peter-Parker-style characterization of The Flash in Justice League just rubbed me the wrong way. Wasn't his fault, mind you -- he did what was called for by the directors and --script, but...

He could have been well on his way to headlining an amazing Flash 2 by now.

Instead, we're left waiting to see if he'll still be around when they make a solo Flash film.

Or maybe Gambit will come out first...

It is.

Mario Robles (Revenge of the Fan site owner) shared in a few of his article show the WB production process works is they determine a number of movies it can create. Leaking out the details early on, they use the response to such news to gauge interest. As these various movies start to solidify, those that don't fall by the wayside for either killing them or putting them on the back-burner.

Joker feels like one that keeps moving forward with adding production staff so far.