• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does a flaw increase/decrease value?

17 posts in this topic

Good day, I have this copy of DC presents superman & wonder woman with the top cut off and bottom showing more than the original cover. Does this increase or decrease the value of the comic? Or am I just so new to this that its nothing at all? Thanks for your time amd expertise y'all!!641997.jpg.e38169fa5e54026b1dea89abe612444a.jpg20180414_110703.thumb.jpg.78397e6cd5ee162540152af5433ec069.jpg

41 minutes ago, Brothasouled said:

Good day, I have this copy of DC presents superman & wonder woman with the top cut off and bottom showing more than the original cover. Does this increase or decrease the value of the comic? Or am I just so new to this that its nothing at all? Thanks for your time amd expertise y'all!!641997.jpg.e38169fa5e54026b1dea89abe612444a.jpg20180414_110703.thumb.jpg.78397e6cd5ee162540152af5433ec069.jpg

It will definitely increase the value. You have an ultra rare variant. I would list it on E-Bay with a starting bid of 2K .

Fellow Boardies, I recently had a post removed by the mods, responding to a similar newbie post of 'should I get this trashed common book restored'. I think a Boardie with a grudge against me hit the mod button. I know for a fact that there is someone trying to prove how ridiculous the Boards are getting, how naive we are with our responses. I think he is right. Look at the name of this OP poster. Look hard.... 'asouled'. This cannot be serious. I try to respectfully respond to all legitimate newbie questions. If you think this is a serious poster, please respond but I refuse to be gullible to this nonsense.

35 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Fellow Boardies, I recently had a post removed by the mods, responding to a similar newbie post of 'should I get this trashed common book restored'. I think a Boardie with a grudge against me hit the mod button. I know for a fact that there is someone trying to prove how ridiculous the Boards are getting, how naive we are with our responses. I think he is right. Look at the name of this OP poster. Look hard.... 'asouled'. This cannot be serious. I try to respectfully respond to all legitimate newbie questions. If you think this is a serious poster, please respond but I refuse to be gullible to this nonsense.

I'm sorry Bomber-Bob im not quite understanding your reply! I was just wondering if it would hold more or less value?! But hey guess the local comic shop could answer me thanks though for your time!

48 minutes ago, Brothasouled said:

I'm sorry Bomber-Bob im not quite understanding your reply! I was just wondering if it would hold more or less value?! But hey guess the local comic shop could answer me thanks though for your time!

Since you replied, there is a possibility you are a real person, asking a real question. Please realize you did ask if a flaw will increase or decrease value.  IMO, taking the wording of the question on face value, it was not a serious question. Now if you asked how will the miscut affect the value, I would have taken it seriously. Also, your acronym has embedded derogatory slang. So, Bro, I answered your 'asouled' question with an 'as**ole'  reply. Sorry. BTW, the miscut will not affect the grade but it will affect the desirability and the value in a negative way.

Edited by Bomber-Bob

Most flaws will detract from the value. A few will increase it.  Being manufactured with multiple covers is a flaw that increases value. If a book is wrapped in the wrong cover, that flaw increases value. If a book is miscut, or miswrapped, it usually doesn't increase the value unless its an unbelievable mistake. I recently saw a 1970s Marvel that literally had half of two covers , the miswrap was so bad. I made a generous offer on what is otherwise a very common book, and was turned down.

17 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Since you replied, there is a possibility you are a real person, asking a real question. Please realize you did ask if a flaw will increase or decrease value.  IMO, taking the wording of the question on face value, it was not a serious question. Now if you asked how will the miscut affect the value, I would have taken it seriously. Also, your acronym has embedded derogatory slang. So, Bro, I answered your 'asouled' question with an 'as**ole'  reply. Sorry. BTW, the miscut will not affect the grade but it will affect the desirability and the value in a negative way.

Naive responses don't come to mind when reading YOUR responses more like ignorance & mental! My username is Brothasouled how you get a$$#ole from that astonishes me really! What about the word BOOB embedded in your user name? Oh and by the way an acronym is a word spelled out by using the 1st letter of 2 or more words as in

B.ig

O.ld

B.oob

As for my question I was simply following the rules... make the title in question form! 

Yes FLAW as in: (noun) a mark, fault, or other imperfection usually caused during production! 

Not variant as in : respectable version offering change or alteration; exhibiting variety or diversity.

If I wasn't a "newbie" my question might have been worded differently. So my apologies to you sir for being so ignorant when posting my question. Must be nice to be a genius!

Edited by Brothasouled

3 hours ago, shadroch said:

Most flaws will detract from the value. A few will increase it.  Being manufactured with multiple covers is a flaw that increases value. If a book is wrapped in the wrong cover, that flaw increases value. If a book is miscut, or miswrapped, it usually doesn't increase the value unless its an unbelievable mistake. I recently saw a 1970s Marvel that literally had half of two covers , the miswrap was so bad. I made a generous offer on what is otherwise a very common book, and was turned down.

Thank you shadrock for the honest and detailed description I sincerely appreciate your time and input. God bless!

Edited by Brothasouled

2 minutes ago, Brothasouled said:

Naive responses don't come to mind when reading YOUR responses more like ignorance & mental! My username is Brothasouled how you get individual_without_enough_empathy from that astonishes me really! What about the word BOOB embedded in your user name? Oh and by the way an acronym is a word spelled out by using the 1st letter of 2 or more words as in

B.ig

O.ld

B.oob

As for my question I was simply following the rules... make the title in question form! 

Yes FLAW as in: (noun) a mark, fault, or other imperfection usually caused during production! 

Not variant as in : respectable version offering change or alteration; exhibiting variety or diversity.

If I wasn't a "newbie" my question might have been worded differently. So my apologies to you sir for being so ignorant when posting my question. Must be nice to be a genius!

Sorry man, too much tequila last night. When I checked into the Boards I saw that the Mods had deleted a post of mine and I couldn't figure out why. I gave you a wise a** reply and reported myself. I think I did it so I could send a comment to the Mods asking about my deleted post. At least that is what I recollect. Sorry.

I would call it a "miscut" cover, which is a production defect.

In most cases, production defects have minimal impact on the grade, unless they're egregious.

That said, in most cases, a production defects will negatively impact value. If I were choosing between two books at the same grade, I would purchase the book with the well-centered cover.

Finally, if you're wondering about DC Comics Presents #9 in particular -- it is a common book that you can purchase in VF grade for under 10 dollars. So I wouldn't lose much sleep over it.

33 minutes ago, adampasz said:

Finally, if you're wondering about DC Comics Presents #9 in particular -- it is a common book that you can purchase in VF grade for under 10 dollars. So I wouldn't lose much sleep over it.

My Tequila shots last night cost 15 bucks a shot. 

20180417_185038.jpg

Usually buyers want a perfectly centered and placed comic book.  Although that may be the only thing wrong with the comic book it would sway some buyers away since there are so many of other "better" centered comic books out there.  Hope that makes sense..ttyl