• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman Canvas sells

28 posts in this topic

Not sure about paying $35,000 for a giant recreation of the Batman 1 cover, but there you have it:

At the booth of New York and London gallery Marlborough Contemporary, director Pascal Spengemann said he had sold one of Keith Mayerson’s Batman and Robin canvases to, curiously, a collector of Batman paraphernalia. The price tag was $35,000.

https://www.artsy.net/article/artsy-editorial-sold-dallas-art-fair-04-15-18

TsC1-AUDO9kY2sBC9YdwxA%252FMarlborough%2

Edited by Bronty

17 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Not sure about paying $35,000 for a giant recreation of the Batman 1 cover, but there you have it:

At the booth of New York and London gallery Marlborough Contemporary, director Pascal Spengemann said he had sold one of Keith Mayerson’s Batman and Robin canvases to, curiously, a collector of Batman paraphernalia. The price tag was $35,000.

https://www.artsy.net/article/artsy-editorial-sold-dallas-art-fair-04-15-18

TsC1-AUDO9kY2sBC9YdwxA%252FMarlborough%2

Looks like it was huge in size.  Hard to tell the quality from the photo

1 minute ago, batman_fan said:

Let's say it was an orgasmic recreation (not that I think it is), but just to suppose.

Why pay $35,000 for it?    What is artistic about that in any way, shape, or form?    At best its Lichtenstein 50 years too late, no?   And at worst its kitschy junk.

Edited by Bronty

Just now, batman_fan said:

given prices lately $35k is an entry level price :insane:

Any thoughts on the palette swap?  I don't get the point of slavishly recreating a cover but then changing the green cape and price circle to yellow.    Looks better green lol

Just now, Bronty said:

Any thoughts on the palette swap?  I don't get the point of slavishly recreating a cover but then changing the green cape and price circle to yellow.    Looks better green lol

I agree, if you are going to do a recreation, recreate it.  If you are going to re-image, make sure it looks different but "the same"

Just now, batman_fan said:

:sick:  not liking it at $100, at $35k I am REALLY not liking it

Agree.    I liked it better when it wasn't in focus :insane:

Edited by Bronty

15 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Why pay $35,000 for it? 

For the Batman, no.  For the orange peels, sure.

There are a million ways for a fine artist to appropriate a 'pop art' cover and make it their own and do so 'well', make it interesting to the fine art world and still strongly reference the original source to keep the general public interested. Not here though. This is just bad art.

Is there some Meyerson context that we're not aware of to justify the price and more importantly that someone actually paid it? If not...I can't believe anybody really paid $35k for it, even worse at (what looks to be) 36x48 or 48x60 size canvas. That a whole wall dedicated to 'bad art' in somebody's home! Sad.

48 minutes ago, vodou said:

There are a million ways for a fine artist to appropriate a 'pop art' cover and make it their own and do so 'well', make it interesting to the fine art world and still strongly reference the original source to keep the general public interested. Not here though. This is just bad art.

Is there some Meyerson context that we're not aware of to justify the price and more importantly that someone actually paid it? If not...I can't believe anybody really paid $35k for it, even worse at (what looks to be) 36x48 or 48x60 size canvas. That a whole wall dedicated to 'bad art' in somebody's home! Sad.

Yeah. I'm not seeing the value in this.

13 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Not so sure about the orange peel on the bust . . . maybe bird-droppings would work better?

13 minutes ago, Mr. Machismo said:

I wouldn’t accept $35K if it was contingent on hanging this. 

People really are uneducated about original comic art :/ 

That's a fun thought experiment.

I'd hang it for 35k.   In the bathroom, or somewhere out of the way :insane:   And for not too long; a couple months say.    If I had to look at it everyday for the rest of my life in a prominent place in my home then yeah I'm with you, life's too short to accept 35k to have to look at that.  :boo:

Not sure this really has anything to do with comic art or being uneducated on it though?    Except to the extent that the buyer seems to have been a comics person rather than a fine art person.

Edited by Bronty