• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this place deaderer than dead?
5 5

258 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Treco said:
36 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I don't know.  I come on here at night to play (last night it was 9 pmish) , and there is no one around.  Comics General hasn't had a post in an hour and half.  Even the GA/SA/BA sales forum has no real substance, other than peddling the same three or four issues of Fantastic Four.

It was nice to see all those old posters come out of the woodwork in the first dead thread, but again, I am frustrated with the lack of posting, lack of people, lack of traffic around here.

Aw, poor Liz...:cry:   

Ok, I've met my empathetic post quota for the month. I'll just shuffle back over to the corner with the other lurkers. 

Image result for doc and kirk yes gif

My wife calls this place "Facebook for Nerds".

It appears that it is just a graveyard any more.

5 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Seems to be headed that way. I have no room to complain, though. I've never been a big contributor, just a fan of reading some great threads. Seems like a lot of the old guard fell away when the site changed?

36 minutes ago, Treco said:
49 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Seems to be headed that way. I have no room to complain, though. I've never been a big contributor, just a fan of reading some great threads. Seems like a lot of the old guard fell away when the site changed?

The exodus started before that but yeah, new boards didn't help. 

3 minutes ago, Jerkfro said:

Agreed.  There's a lot of carp that people have to wade through now that have made the Boards much less fun than they used to be, and it's chased a bunch of long-time members.  Plus, for comics this is now much more the Dealer's Society than it is the Collector's Society.

Edited by namisgr

2 hours ago, namisgr said:
2 hours ago, Jerkfro said:

Agreed.  There's a lot of carp that people have to wade through now that have made the Boards much less fun than they used to be, and it's chased a bunch of long-time members.  Plus, for comics this is now much more the Dealer's Society than it is the Collector's Society.

Dirty stinking dealers and frickin' flippers.   lol

5 hours ago, Jerkfro said:

Finesse, my friend. you can't just bang in there like a jackhammer

3 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I don't know.  I come on here at night to play (last night it was 9 pmish) , and there is no one around.  Comics General hasn't had a post in an hour and half.  Even the GA/SA/BA sales forum has no real substance, other than peddling the same three or four issues of Fantastic Four.

It was nice to see all those old posters come out of the woodwork in the first dead thread, but again, I am frustrated with the lack of posting, lack of people, lack of traffic around here.

Evening boys! Jeepers, what a day I've had. One of those days where every lunatic in the vicinity seems to gravitate towards you (get your jokes in now).

Anyway, I pondered this thread today while driving around trying to avoid the aforementioned nutters (or 'other people' as I sometimes alternatively call them) and came to the conclusion that pretty much everything I feel on the subject I said in the first 'deaderer' thread.

I'd like there to be more interaction here, yes. What's the point otherwise? But there isn't and I think we've just moved into a different phase much like the industry itself has. All the stuff I like is old hat, and it's been done to death (albeit I think I did well to give Charlton pence books a first board airing!). I really think I'd have had a great time here if I'd joined 10 years earlier. Late to the party I was, and I feel I missed the stage where I could have played a decent part. The search function tells me (when it works) that there was once quite a crowd here who would debate pence books - my main interest - but they've all scarpered now, alas. 

I do think there are things that could be done to encourage participation, but few seem interested in exploring them. We like to moan too much don't we! So, the boards aren't dead, and they'll go on, but the 'golden age' of participation may have passed and the crowd has begun to dwindle.

I do feel sad about it. I know a few reading this will be thinking 'who does he think he is, he's only been here 6 minutes' and that's fair enough. Comics remain my main interest in life outside of family and friends. So it pains me to see this place dry up, as I have really enjoyed participating. But sometimes you just have to accept that things aren't how you want them to be. There may be some people here who think this is 'their' golden age though. Great. Good for them. Out with the old etc.

So I'm going to carry on updating my pence threads for the few that follow them, chatting with my two board buddies in our ridiculously long mucking about PM, and chipping in here and there when a topic takes my fancy. Mucking about in the WC can be a laugh, as is prodding the odd ego. And I do like to rib Arch at every opportunity, because he deserves it for creating divisions, failing to act fairly and abandoning us. There, I did it again :grin:

Pizza coming now boys. Have fun :headbang:

Not a fan of the new boards since the switch over to the new format even though I have been buying more art than ever and CGCgraded comics for the first time in years.

Maybe there are ways to enhance my experience in the settings for the message board but haven’t bothered to look into it.

I wind up just having private discussions about comics and art on the Facebook messenger anymore.

22 hours ago, namisgr said:

Yeah, I've said it before, but I think the board changeover was a good spot for a lot of old timers to make a clean break. Sorta like when a comic relaunches with a new #1; the desired effect is that it will attract new readers/users, but there are also a lot of long time readers/users who will use that as a spot to jump off.

SO, old timers have left, and meanwhile newbs are easily intimidated and easily chased off by the few remaining grumps left sticking around. (And don't get me wrong, I'm an old grump myself.) Except for the especially resilient ones, like @Get Marwood & I whose tenacity I have to admit I admire. 

18 minutes ago, StingerMcK said:

At least I'm saving money since the sales threads have slowed down also lol

Yeah, that and the eBay coupons have tapered off.  March was a heck of a month - it threw the comic budget out the window.