• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this place deaderer than dead?
5 5

258 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Yeah, that and the eBay coupons have tapered off.  March was a heck of a month - it threw the comic budget out the window.

I'm still trying to recover from my daughter's wedding last month, no comic book budget .

1 hour ago, oakman29 said:

I'm still trying to recover from my daughter's wedding last month, no comic book budget .

:eek:

For me, there's 2 pretty clear reasons.

First, the switch over.  As soon as that happened, this place became a morgue.

Second, the derailment of threads.  Now I've never been a huge contributor myself, but I lurked/followed many threads.  The constant derailment (usually via GIFs or whatever) has grown tiresome.  Its exhausting clicking in a thread and seeing random gif after random gif that doesnt contribute a single thing to the thread at hand.  Now I click a thread, see the same , and press the backspace usually within seconds of entering a thread.  You dont see this sort of thing on ANY other board.  In fact, the mods on other boards I frequent shut down or clean up threads that derail.

Anyways, it's my 2 cents.  See y'all in a month.

Oh I do like to be beside the seaside.... Great WiFi here. Let's see, I always liked comics as a kid. There's bound to be some great chat rooms and forums about them. Let's see.....

Here we go. C, G, C. Looks promising!

Lets' see what's happening here...

Oh, that's handy - popular now. Nice job! Let's have a look.

Oh. Which 'foot cover' do I perfer.....good grocery stores....  

b.PNG.6c8bfc659b5793a8d2fe17961124c0e7.PNG

Tips:

1. Take the WC threads out of the Popular Now section. 
  2. Invite members to go on spelling courses.

@Get Marwood & I

I posted this in the other thread, but wanted to move it here so others could chime in as well.

I think you're on point with the majority of what you've stated.
The only thing, and I mean this with absolutely no ill intent whatsoever, that I think you could scale back a bit is calling out Arch, Scott:) and other admins. as much as you do. I see why you do it, they are the go to people for us, but I look at it like they have their limitations as well. Sometimes we might not agree on what their limitations are or if they are actual limitations or more self-imposed.

I like your archive idea. Maybe each section of the boards could have one.
Arch implemented one after the changeover for the VCC Forum and it really did clean things up. Keep in mind though that it is very time consuming to do so and the reason for this is an actual limitation with the software.

I like your tutorial idea as well.
Again, I did a similar tutorial for the VCC with step by step instructions on how to do certain things. If I knew how to create a video tutorial (and I didn't have a face made for radio) I would have made those as well.
But keep in mind that these are paid employees and not enthusiasts like us who do it because we like it. A lot of good ideas by members probably do not see the light of day because they are not cost effective. Maybe if people volunteered their time, worked on things themselves, and only asked admins. to review it would be easier to get some things done.
This might be something for the admins. to consider if they really want the boards cleaned-up. Allowing certain members (after a proper vetting) limited mod powers to help organize things a bit might not be the worst idea in the world.

I think the personal invites back into the fold would do a world of good as well.

With all this being said, I think we really need to think about how important it is for CGC to actually have a chat board in the first place. At one point in time it probably made a world of sense, but as times change and the ability to contact through a multitude venues grows exponentially with each day, it may not be high on their list of things to maintain. It might not even be low on the list.
My only hope, if this Chat Board ever ceases to be, is that members are given fair warning so we can save as much of this wealth of information as possible and get contact information, maybe even say farewell, to those who have become important to us over the years.

7 minutes ago, DeadOne said:

I think you're on point with the majority of what you've stated.
The only thing, and I mean this with absolutely no ill intent whatsoever, that I think you could scale back a bit is calling out Arch, Scott:) and other admins. as much as you do. I see why you do it, they are the go to people for us, but I look at it like they have their limitations as well. Sometimes we might not agree on what their limitations are or if they are actual limitations or more self-imposed.

Thanks DeadOne - I think you're right here and I do honestly want good relations with the admin staff. I get a little frustrated with the open goals and think a few more attempts to score would help us all feel that things, and our opinions, mattered. Especially when the overall intent is good. Accepting that there may well be limitations, I still can't see why we can't have a decent open discussion about the state of play rather than keep glossing over it. 

Thanks for a gif free response - and good luck with the VCC this weekend. You put a lot of effort into it and it reflects the best of what the boards can offer. :foryou:

22 minutes ago, DeadOne said:

With all this being said, I think we really need to think about how important it is for CGC to actually have a chat board in the first place. At one point in time it probably made a world of sense, but as times change and the ability to contact through a multitude venues grows exponentially with each day, it may not be high on their list of things to maintain. It might not even be low on the list.

you are so right DeadOne ... what so many fail to realize is that CGC is doing us the favor by having this chatboard for us ,... not the other way around ....

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

On a personal level, I'm losing interest in participating here because there isn't anything happening. If I feel this way after less than two years, imagine how people who've been here 10, 15 years must feel.

Please don't take the boards so serious , this place is fun (except for a dozen or so)  , you are one of the greatest member ever !! it's just that the attention span given to a great thread is brief.....

you deserve boardie of the year award this year Steve 2c(worship)  and then you too can give silverjanet 15,000 more likes !! 

24 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

Please don't take the boards so serious , this place is fun (except for a dozen or so)  , you are one of the greatest member ever !! it's just that the attention span given to a great thread is brief.....

you deserve boardie of the year award this year Steve 2c(worship)  and then you too can give silverjanet 15,000 more likes !! 

:eek:

On 4/18/2018 at 9:15 AM, lizards2 said:

I don't know.  I come on here at night to play (last night it was 9 pmish) , and there is no one around.  Comics General hasn't had a post in an hour and half.  Even the GA/SA/BA sales forum has no real substance, other than peddling the same three or four issues of Fantastic Four.

It was nice to see all those old posters come out of the woodwork in the first dead thread, but again, I am frustrated with the lack of posting, lack of people, lack of traffic around here.

lol if I am ever in the market for a 1st Galactus or Black Panther, I know where to go.