• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions on restored books

30 posts in this topic

I have only a few restored books in my collection, but everyone I buy is for my personal collection. Sure I keep resale in mind so as not to overpay (so I can at least get cost back on a book if need be), but if I can get a book around 50% of GPA i'm happy. This is only for key issues. I would not buy a restored common or cheap book. If I can get a nice looking copy for around $500 unrestored, i'd rather have that. I do however stay away from trimmed books. Trimming is not for me personally. All that said, i've only been collecting (buying bigger books) for about 4 years now, so this is perhaps a noobs perspective. I, for example, bought an X-Men 4 7.5 slight resto (white pages) last night for $700. It's a lot of money, but for the grade i'm happy. I don't think I would take much of a loss or any if I decided to sell it in the future. Who knows the future. Either way, I feel if it makes you happy, go for it. For investment, restoration is probably not the best approach. 

Edited by hoffitmus prime

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 1:16 PM, hoffitmus prime said:

I have only a few restored books in my collection, but everyone I buy is for my personal collection. Sure I keep resale in mind so as not to overpay (so I can at least get cost back on a book if need be), but if I can get a book around 50% of GPA i'm happy. This is only for key issues. I would not buy a restored common or cheap book. If I can get a nice looking copy for around $500 unrestored, i'd rather have that. I do however stay away from trimmed books. Trimming is not for me personally. All that said, i've only been collecting (buying bigger books) for about 4 years now, so this is perhaps a noobs perspective. I, for example, bought an X-Men 4 7.5 slight resto (white pages) last night for $700. It's a lot of money, but for the grade i'm happy. I don't think I would take much of a loss or any if I decided to sell it in the future. Who knows the future. Either way, I feel if it makes you happy, go for it. For investment, restoration is probably not the best approach. 

Just saying I picked up a professionally restored FF #1 graded VF for $1800.00 about 8 or 9  years ago which was guide for VG at the time. I'm thinking it's value sits currently whatever VG's are selling for now. Sure, there are better things out there for investing, but you could do okay with some restored books. All you need is time.

I find it funny how restoration is viewed in some circles.  

Classic car values are almost always enhanced by a top notch restoration; same with an old house.

When it comes to "fine art" paintings (old masters etc) it's probably tough to find a painting that hasn't been restored over the centuries and unless the restoration had been botched, it doesn't seem to cause a problem for bidders.

Even an expert restoration on a comic however does not see the value of that comic come near that of the same copy in un-restored condition.  Some collectors won't go near a restored copy.   

On 5/11/2018 at 2:26 AM, Lukesaurus said:

let's make an exercise for a USA Comics 1 , 4.0 moderate restoration.   Restoration includes: color touch, piece added, tear seals, cleaned, reinforced, staples replaced.

What whould you pay ?

$800-1000. It's important to consider that the restoration cannot be removed so certain buyers will not be interested,which will affect the value at auction.

On 4/24/2018 at 8:16 PM, hoffitmus prime said:

I have several slight (P) books. And from a collector (not investor) perspective I find them to be great value for your money. 

At the risk of redundancy as this question has been asked many times, there is no exact formula for figuring the value of restored books. It depends on era, scarcity, demand, price range, type of restoration, amount of restoration, and quality of restoration.  

Expected prices might range from <10% of unrestored grade value for a "high grade" extensively restored book, to 90% for a low grade "conserved" book difficult to find in any grade. 

A good rule when buying is asking oneself what sort of unrestored copy could I get for the price, and would I be happier with that, or do I even want to keep looking if the book is genuinely scarce. Whatever the situation it will always be easier to sell an unrestored copy of a book in the same FMV price range, but as a result of that you can sometimes get a great deal on a slightly restored book.

On 4/24/2018 at 2:16 PM, hoffitmus prime said:

I do however stay away from trimmed books

Here's my question, why is trimming even counted as resto, and not just damage to the book. I always thought it should just be noted, and degraded to like a VG/G or whatever. Your not even "restoring" it in the pure sense of the word, that is "restoring" it to manner that it once was, your just damaging it. Really its just one long perfect rip, and a bunch of small missing pieces. (shrug)

Edited by HuddyBee