• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daredevil #131 CGC 9.6!

73 posts in this topic

murph0,

Bullseye has always had an undercurrent of positive sentiment from the readers of the Miller era. This is now translating into higher prices for the book. Why now? I don't know - there seems to be something in the collector mentality that says 'if he wants it, I better take a second look!'

I have never said I think IF 14 is a great book..I merely said that it was a pricey book PRIOR to the movie..and if you look at the difference between the two.. IF 14 goes for say...400 in 9.4..multiply that by what it was going for before in NM or better lets say 80 dollars..thats about 4 times "regular" price..

Let me clarify something, as I have compared these books (DD 131/ IF 14). I am not referring to the period prior to the movie!!!! I am referring to the late 80s, when IF 14 wasn't even broken out in the guide.

1985 OS 15 - $2.50

1990 OS 20 - $17.00 ($18 for 15)

1992 OS 22 - $80.00 ($22 for 15)

This is the run up I'm referring to....

Bruce,

What you mention about availability of DD 131 in NM or better may be true in your experience... but I've had much more difficulty... even with considerable effort spent. I've been actively in the market for DD 131's in NM or better for quite awhile before there was even talk of a DD movie and only found (1) ungraded gem that ended up grading 9.4...

This is the fate of books that end up as quarter bin fodder.... it's why Iron Man 55 can be quite tough to find.

I found one at all of the following places...Comic Calvalcade, Big B Comics, Blue Hen Comics, Golden Age Comics, Legonniares (went out of business frown.gif). All were listed between the price of 30-50 dollars..with C.C being the highest. All NM

Brian

To clarify... I did "find" and buy a number of them, but those books advertised as "NM" or "NM+" turned out not to be (in my estimation)... except one. I'm sure you found them listed in the many places you mentioned, but "usually" those website advertised grades don't add up to a CGC grade. I'm speaking of Solid NM CGC 9.4 level or better copies... that is what I was searching for.

Maybe I should have you help me scout books in the future? wink.gif

When I see Bruce paying up the big bucks, I don't worry...I know he's usually

working some angle like he described in this post and will make money from

it somehow.

Now as for the rest of you overpaying crazies (of course I mean that in the most

endearing way)... smirk.gifgrin.gifwink.gif

Gene

There's a big difference between SOME people thinking this book is a great

one and EVERYONE..you're trying to tell me that tons of people thought this

was a great book before..

I'm with you, murph0...I'm a huge Miller DD fan and I'm sure I have one of the better

Miller DD collections around (#158-191 plus most of the 2nd Miller run, PPSS 27, 28,

What If 35, etc. all CGC with most 9.6 or 9.8). And, for my few critics out there, I don't

mention this to brag about my collection - I mention this solely to establish my

street credibility as a DD collector & fan.

To me, DD 131 would be a nice book to have, but I don't look at it like some sacred

artifact. Yes, it's the 1st Bullseye BUT, it's not a Miller issue and the story & art

do not exactly blow me away (I have a non-investment grade copy for reading

purposes).

Before Miller, Bullseye was just a silly two-bit villain. For me, DD #159, the 1st

Miller Bullseye (art-wise) or DD #169 (story) hold greater significance to me than

#131. Maybe heresy, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. And anyone who's

thinking about posting some idiotic reply like "Well, would you trade a DD #131

9.6 for a DD 159 9.6...didn't think so", do all of us a favor and don't.

Gene

Before Miller, Bullseye was just a silly two-bit villain. For me, DD #159, the 1st

Miller Bullseye (art-wise) or DD #169 (story) hold greater significance to me than

#131.

I'm right there with you (at least with DD 159) and think that Miller made the character what he is today. Therefore, while DD 131 is a "nice to own" I don't view it with the same collecting zeal as I do the Miller DD run.

CI: to answer your earlier post... I'd say between 2-3 years ago I was actively looking for it. I don't remember when the movie was announced as I was searching for my own reasons, not movie speculation.

In answer to both Gene and CI...

I totally agree that it was Miller's use of the character that did it for me too. He was nothing but a 2nd tier villain prior.

DD 131, 132 141, 146, aside from some decent covers were a bit on the boring side and the interior art was average at best for the most part as I recall... BUT there are different types of collecting styles and to some... to search out and obtain the 1st appearance of a favorite character (even if it is not in the same league quality wise as the issues that "made" the character) is quite a natural progression. It's not the story that blows me a way with 131, its what the issue represents as I probably focus on 1st appearances and early appearances, etc. more than some.

After loving Byrne X-men and Wolverine... I wanted hulk 181 even though it does not measure up. After reading BS's MoonKnight... I wanted WW 32, 33 37. etc., etc.

Semi-key....

I'll defend my opinion that the book will hold much of its value post-movie, but it'll surprise me if it's seen as more than semi-key.