• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hand written “date stamps” show yours/discuss.

31 posts in this topic

I don't mind a little writing such as an arrival date. I think it adds character to the comic.

My pet peeve is when an attempt has been made to remove the writing - even when it's done professionally and without "restoration". This can be a deal-breaker for me, just like rusty staples or brittle pages.

272378-002.jpg

The D presumably stands for the distributor, possibly the same distributor as the Edgar Church and Aurora collections.

I take the numbers to be dates, 1/6 or possibly 11 6 with no slash and 7/19 (as opposed to copy 7 out of 19, etc.).

IMG__201804112__053943.jpg

IMG__201804112__053631.jpg

8 hours ago, Mr. Lady Luck said:

I don't mind a little writing such as an arrival date. I think it adds character to the comic.

My pet peeve is when an attempt has been made to remove the writing - even when it's done professionally and without "restoration". This can be a deal-breaker for me, just like rusty staples or brittle pages.

I also like a neatly written arrival date. I agree that an attempt to remove the writing ruins the book for me. Worse yet, and I think the OP's first comic listed is an example, I hate it when an aggressive press results in the ink smearing. IMO, this is destruction and I wish CGC would recognize it when assigning the grade. 

On 4/21/2018 at 7:27 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I was actively collecting books from '84 through'90, and every dealer I bought from in that era downgraded books heavily if there was writing on the cover, with the exception of unobtrusive pencilled distributor markings.

CGC marks books down very heavily for stains; what is writing on the cover but a stain in a special shape? As much as I appreciate the Okajima books, the coded camp books should not be graded the way they are. A book with writing on the cover is not a high-grade book.

I suspect that the choice to ignore writing on the covers of books was made in order to add value to collections like Larson and Recil Macon, which would have been heavily penalized otherwise. It reminds me of the decision to allow books with a "very minor amount" of glue or color touch to get universal labels.

I don't mind writing that much, but it should be factored into the grade regardless of when it occurred.

"writing on the cover but a stain in a special shape" Quote of the year. Times, they are a changing. 

I guess that Ferrari that never leaves the garage is real cool too.

tenor.gif?download=true

So I respectable disagree.  You can by buy all the pure "perfect" copies (perhaps printed in outer space so not even disturbed by the breath of a human, or God forbid touched by a finger of a human hand) your heart desires.  Me?  Leave me the ones I can love with the historic context.

Edited by path4play

I don't mind dates, distributor marks and even names if they aren't too obtrusive and in the logo area of book or at least the negative space, and I can appreciate the appeal of ones that signify pedigree (recognized or not).  I don't like them when they are too large, interfere with artwork, or there are too many of them. I rather like full date mechanical stamps, properly placed. Okajima camp copies have writing that borders on the distracting, but the writing is so neatly done, that it ends up adding to appeal (knowing the story behind them). 

I've never personally had much interest in buying pedigree copies for the notations, but I can see why people would. 

Edited by rjpb

10 hours ago, path4play said:

"writing on the cover but a stain in a special shape" Quote of the year. Times, they are a changing. 

I guess that Ferrari that never leaves the garage is real cool too.

So I respectable disagree.  You can by buy all the pure "perfect" copies (perhaps printed in outer space so not even disturbed by the breath of a human, or God forbid touched by a finger of a human hand) your heart desires.  Me?  Leave me the ones I can love with the historic context.

I never said that I don't appreciate the historical context of names and other pedigree markings–I do–but I also grade books down if those markings obtrusive, like the Recil Macon and Okajima books. The value of a book is a separate issue from the grade of a book. To some people, a mid-grade Okajima might be more valuable than a high-grade non-pedigree copy. Don't conflate grade and desirability. (For me, freshness and page quality are more important than grade, anyway.)

I agree that date stamps and pedigree markings give a book character, but so do reading creases and clipped coupons–I grade books down for those, too.