• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

D'OH!
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Mark Morales posted this on twitter

DbFo5XRU8AAE3gS.jpg:large

"Nothing more fun than when your four year old decides to ‘help’ when you turn your back. Pencils by Ed Mcguinness, inks by me and colors by Thomas Morales"

Edited by Bird
edited to add how interesting the lines are for shadow...Mark ignores most of Ed's lines and goes opposite direction on many of them!

There are actually some interesting questions raised by the OP. 

I've seen OA for sale before which has been partly colored in by kids or some other amateur. I saw one at the Big Apple Con this weekend. I would estimate it reduced the piece by 2/3rds in value or so (but I'm not too skilled at this sort of thing). So:

(1) What do you think should be the impact on value? Is the piece ruined? What about just a little crayon like here?

(2) Can Crayola be removed? What about other stuff? Can it be removed by an collector or does it need a restorer?

I always think of Avengers 198 when I think of badly colored/ruined pieces.  I saw it in person around 2007 and it looks so much worse in person.  It would definitely make me think twice about buying it if it were for sale.  I wonder if one of those resto guys could work some magic on something like this.  

198-1.jpg

13 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

There are actually some interesting questions raised by the OP. 

I've seen OA for sale before which has been partly colored in by kids or some other amateur. I saw one at the Big Apple Con this weekend. I would estimate it reduced the piece by 2/3rds in value or so (but I'm not too skilled at this sort of thing). So:

(1) What do you think should be the impact on value? Is the piece ruined? What about just a little crayon like here?

(2) Can Crayola be removed? What about other stuff? Can it be removed by an collector or does it need a restorer?

This was one of my biggest art collecting fears as my kids were growing up.  I always made sure my collection was stored well away from little fingers and crayons.  

As for crayon removal, straight from the source:  http://www.crayola.com/faq/stain-removal-tips/how-can-i-remove-crayon-marks-from-paper/

11 hours ago, Flambit said:

I always think of Avengers 198 when I think of badly colored/ruined pieces.  I saw it in person around 2007 and it looks so much worse in person.  It would definitely make me think twice about buying it if it were for sale.  I wonder if one of those resto guys could work some magic on something like this.  

198-1.jpg

clorox-bleach-4460030798-64_1000.jpg

4 hours ago, Pirate said:

my daughter cut my full figure colored perez wonder woman out of my sketch book when she was a toddler.  Aah the joy.

Children can be wonderful. 

Look at the bright side. As least she presumably did not do with it what one of my kids used to draw on the walls--and I don't mean crayons.

On 4/18/2018 at 7:09 PM, J.Sid said:

What's a safe big enough to accommodate 12x18 bristol set a guy back these days?

$599 including delivery if you're a Costco member....

13 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

I would first double-check to make sure the heat and humidity conditions in a safe are safe for this stuff.

I use a fireproof safe for the more valuable stuff, but have too much for it all to fit in there. It can't get too hot inside, even in a fire, and inside it I use a few silica gel desiccant packs that absorb moisture. You just need to change them out periodically, (cheap in bulk on Amazon) but they keep it moisture-free inside the safe. And the safe itself recommends that you open it at least once a month to refresh the air inside. Hope that info helps.

My kids have destroyed all kinds of nice things of mine over the years, but thankfully never my art. I keep it up high and out of reach, or in a locked safe. :)