• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finer than 12 year old whiskey - 12 years in the making - Planet Comics #1-73 Completed!!
3 3

123 posts in this topic

A complete run of Planet comics is quite a feat. I am sure each book has a unique story as to how/when/where you came to acquire them. You have a very nice group of books and I am sure it is very satisfying to see them all together and truely enjoy the accomplishment.

Fantastic :applause:(worship)

Edited by kelholt

On 4/19/2018 at 1:26 AM, jhutton2 said:

Planet Comics #49  CGC 9.2 off white pages.   This cover has grown on me over the years I have owned this book

going to add placemarkers for each issue and upload photos and comments through an edit later ?

4E33DF20-95F2-4525-A8E0-3A4F988EC378.jpeg

It's one of my favorites as well.

14 minutes ago, Finhead said:

So Sad you sold 2/3rd of today. :$ Such a awesome set.

I’ve been within 10 issues of completing Planet twice now and then I sell a portion of them off. I’ve done the same with several other titles.  

For me, the joy is in the hunt and the joy is in the release to others. For whatever reason the holding has never been the fun part for me.  I don’t know if that is part of the thinking for Jason or not but there are lots of different collector mindsets out there. 

Even books I absolutely love burn a hole in my pocket. Do I NEED to sell them? Not really. There is an excitement to it though and a sense that others appreciate what it is that you are offering that has its reward. I do find I miss them after I sell them and start the process all over lol

Anyway, that’s my Two Cents.  

Edited by Ricksneatstuff

10 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I’ve been within 10 issues of completing Planet twice now and then I sell a portion of them off. I’ve done the same with several other titles.  

For me, the joy is in the hunt and the joy is in the release to others. For whatever reason the holding has never been the fun part for me.  I don’t know if that is part of the thinking for Jason or not but there are lots of different collector mindsets out there. 

Even books I absolutely love burn a hole in my pocket. Do I NEED to sell them? Not really. There is an excitement to it though and a sense that others appreciate what it is that you are offering that has its reward. I do find I miss them after I sell them and start the process all over lol

I guess that is one way to do it all. I have a hard time giving up my books once I have them, unless there modern then they can go if I need room. lol

2 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Interesting perspective, Rick. Food for thought. 

Selling the top 2/3 of this run was a tough decision for me, and also an easy one.   I spent a long time putting it all together and having completed the entire run was a rewarding experience for me emotionally as I was sometimes unsure if it would ever happen.

Once I completed the run, many people were asking what was next?  That got me thinking a lot about my priorities and what directions I could potentially take.   As someone else said, we are really caretakers of these items, whether they be comics or any other beautiful or collectable item.   I could certainly use the funds for other things that require my attention, and this sale will wipe out some debt that I have built up over the last few years which will bring a big relief for me emotionally and also financially.  The benefits made sense and it was a easy decision on my part to do that once I committed to this path after several weeks of contemplating the decision.  Although the Rivet portion of my run probably holds the most value, keeping it also allows me to still enjoy this title in a significant way and I can slowly work on upgrading issues I choose to over the upcoming months and years.

I do plan on taking the promised group shot prior to sending all the books out to their new owners.  Although issues #73-23 are no longer mine, it will be fun to see them all together one last time.  I know many people will enjoy these books over the years, I know I did and I am glad I have been able to share my joy with members of this community :)

Warmest Regards,

Jason