• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lou Cameron's Unsleeping Dead

13 posts in this topic

I actually suggested that to he do one focused on Cameron and gave him the scan of Web of Mys 17 to use for the cover.

He's done a great job on all of these horror reprint books and I very much look forward to this one.

WebofMys17new.jpg

This is my most anticipated one so far in this series. Nice to see Lou Cameron finally get a spotlight on his contributions. Also great copy for that cover. One of my favorite Ace covers. Originally was supposed to be out late last year...now a May release. This one is gonna brighten up your bookshelf during the Halloween season or any other time of year for that matter. 

7 hours ago, adamstrange said:

I actually suggested that to he do one focused on Cameron and gave him the scan of Web of Mys 17 to use for the cover.

He's done a great job on all of these horror reprint books and I very much look forward to this one.

WebofMys17new.jpg

You gave him the right cover. Like the couple in this cover, we will enter that tunnel and love Lou Cameron's art. For those unfamiliar with Cameron's work, here's a reference book that will undoubtedly give insight into the work of a master of precode horror. Kudos to you adamstrange!

john

5 hours ago, Darth Corgi said:

This is my most anticipated one so far in this series. Nice to see Lou Cameron finally get a spotlight on his contributions. Also great copy for that cover. One of my favorite Ace covers. Originally was supposed to be out late last year...now a May release. This one is gonna brighten up your bookshelf during the Halloween season or any other time of year for that matter. 

Another Terrible 25 book!

After Ace he a few stories for Classics and DC.

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

I have never seen the appeal of that cover. Cameron's interior work is WAY better. I know he did a lot of Ace work. Did he do much for any other companies?

Yeah, I agree.  Not to take anything away from Cameron but that cover doesn't do much for me.

7 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I have never seen the appeal of that cover. Cameron's interior work is WAY better. I know he did a lot of Ace work. Did he do much for any other companies?

5 hours ago, telerites said:

Yeah, I agree.  Not to take anything away from Cameron but that cover doesn't do much for me.

What? You gotta be kidding me @telerites and @Robot Man

Let me help. 

-Giant dominant green Witch head dripping with a cackling mouth and purple tongue...a Purple tongue!

-It's  set in an apparently abandoned haunted carnival...the ride is broken down.

-Delicious Full signature of the artist playfully written across the front car.

-Strong yellow-red-green color palette.

-That witch hair...unnecessarily rococo and  detailed. That right there is an artist having some fun. ?

-Sometimes it's what is not illustrated that is the most interesting. What's happening just off cover or behind the scenes? What's behind that spiderwebbed ticket window? What lies on the floor in there? A skeleton? Rat nest? Answers? Or nothing at all? The best art does more than exist as a pretty picture...it springboards your imagination to further places and inspires great stories...even if they exist only in your mind. 

Hope that helps. Next time the carny is in town, I hope to see you getting your tickets and boarding the Lou Cameron Precode Horror Boat Ride. ?

3 hours ago, Darth Corgi said:

What? You gotta be kidding me @telerites and @Robot Man

Let me help. 

-Giant dominant green Witch head dripping with a cackling mouth and purple tongue...a Purple tongue!

-It's  set in an apparently abandoned haunted carnival...the ride is broken down.

-Delicious Full signature of the artist playfully written across the front car.

-Strong yellow-red-green color palette.

-That witch hair...unnecessarily rococo and  detailed. That right there is an artist having some fun. ?

-Sometimes it's what is not illustrated that is the most interesting. What's happening just off cover or behind the scenes? What's behind that spiderwebbed ticket window? What lies on the floor in there? A skeleton? Rat nest? Answers? Or nothing at all? The best art does more than exist as a pretty picture...it springboards your imagination to further places and inspires great stories...even if they exist only in your mind. 

Hope that helps. Next time the carny is in town, I hope to see you getting your tickets and boarding the Lou Cameron Precode Horror Boat Ride. ?

Fantastic! You nail it right on the head! Look at that cover and you see Cameron at his best. I can remember going to see a traveling carnival, seeing strange rides, and "interesting" carnys. Cameron takes a classic symbol of horror- the head of a witch and ties her to a classic ride in a creepy place. Only for this couple, it might be the ride of their life? Or their last ride? I also remember seeing an abandoned amusement park during my childhood and it was creepy. And that witch! What a face! Agree with you about her hair. I ask myself how did this couple get here? What's the story behind this place that they've arrived at? This book is one of the all time greats and an example of a precode master at work!

Bronze Johnny gets it. Full marks  :smile:

As long as none of us drink the water the boat ride is on, we should be good...or were we supposed to drink it? Dang....I can't remember what the clerk told me when I bought my ticket. 

7 hours ago, Darth Corgi said:

I like Cameron's art but this just isn't one of my favorite covers.  I think because it reminds me of my ex-wife :whatthe: