• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ETERNALS #1? Buy or sell? Will it last?
1 1

109 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Gaiman's run was quite faithful to Kirby's original series, and far, far better than the drivel written by Chuck Austen a few years earlier. 

I'd never heard of the Gaiman run -- thanks!

Here's a summary of it I found on Amazon:

Jack Kirby's old Eternals series gets a serious dusting-off from Gaiman (Anansi Boys) and artist Romita. The Eternals, a super-race, are now scattered and forgetful of their powers and immortality, living mortal human lives of supreme normalcy (Sersi is a New York party girl, while Makkari believes himself to be Bellevue ER doc Mark Curry). Meanwhile their age-old enemies, the Deviants, stalk the earth with nefarious intentions, and at least one of the super-duper-race Celestials (who created both Deviants and Eternals eons ago) may be returning to Earth. The source of all this forgetfulness and strife appears to be the eternally 11-year-old Sprite, who desires to be allowed to age like an actual human. It is easy to spot Gaiman's touch in this modern-day clash between ancient forces, as he shies away from Kirby's '70s-era, Chariots of God–style alien mythologizing to focus more on the characters' slow coming to grips with the enormity of their identity and the loss of humanity that comes from being an Eternal. Romita's storytelling is strong without coming near Kirby's epochal original. While Gaiman fans will still sign up, it isn't long before the tale gets tangled in the Olympian scope of this often baffling struggle.

I could easily see a film being adapted from this sort of treatment.  From the original Kirby stuff, as much as I love it?  Not so much...

21 hours ago, Dogsupreme said:

So ETERNALS #1 has been announced to be developed. With so many copies floating around will it be a hot commodity like FF #52 or a flop like FF #45. What do you think? Buy or sell?

Dealers sell and collectors collect

As for flippers, I like seeing them lose their azz

I hope for the flippers that their eyes are bigger than their common sense and when the music stops they are without a soft landing

17 minutes ago, NP_Gresham said:

Dealers sell and collectors collect

As for flippers, I like seeing them lose their azz

I hope for the flippers that their eyes are bigger than their common sense and when the music stops they are without a soft landing

Dealer - store owner - flipper . . they are all the same.  Somebody who buys books to make a profit and not collect.  I can see a collector being mad at the process but I do find it funny when I hear dealers complaining about flippers. 

51 minutes ago, Key Largo Comics said:

Must they be mutually exclusive? I consider myself a collector foremost (I buy what I like) but I've been known to flip a book or two when the opportunity presented itself and I almost always have items up for sale on ebay so doesn't that make me a dealer of sorts? (shrug)

It's like that old anecdote about the farmer and the goat...

I checked out the comic boxes and only found 15 copies of #1.  I think I've been selling them off as I get them since i could have sworn I was up to 25 copies.  A couple look gradable so fingers crossed.

I sell my books. Most I bought as a kid/teenager in the 70's and a few I bought in the last few years. Am I a flipper, maybe. On the average I hold on to a book for 40 years than sell them so I'm a very slow flipper because I do sell them for a profit. When I started there wasn't a name like flippers we were all just collectors or fans. I still feel that way. I bought a couple of signed books that I knew were underpriced to sell for a profit, that profit allowed me to buy other books. So I guess I don't understand the anger towards people selling at a higher price than they bought it at. The stereotype of a guy coming in to buy something from one of us and selling for a major profit while taking advantage of us I don't think happens often but I sure have traded many books only to find out later I didn't have a great deal. Yet the trade was not a flip. I have 9 #1's all very high grades, 6 #2's, 10 #3, 12 #4, 10 #5 and a few 6 & 7's, I plan on getting most graded than selling a few to pay for the grading and keeping most, I know this isn't flipping but if a flipper buys a few all I'm going to say is thanks. I think in the long run it makes collecting more fun and if I want to read a book I do it gently or I buy a reader. The game really hasn't changed. Now photos because that is really why I read the posts :bigsmile:

IMG_0853.JPG

IMG_0854.JPG

IMG_0855.JPG

IMG_0856.JPG

IMG_0857.JPG

IMG_0858.JPG

16 hours ago, jools&jim said:

I'd never heard of the Gaiman run -- thanks!

I enjoyed it, as it expanded on Kirby's original work, as opposed to Chuck Austen's story a few years before, which read like a poor man's Heavy Metal magazine interpretation.

On 20/04/2018 at 1:49 PM, Key Largo Comics said:

Must they be mutually exclusive? I consider myself a collector foremost (I buy what I like) but I've been known to flip a book or two when the opportunity presented itself and I almost always have items up for sale on ebay so doesn't that make me a dealer of sorts? (shrug)

I consider myself primarily a HG cover collector, if I like the cover and it is HG I will buy it, what I can't get my head around, is the collector/s who clamber to buy a book just because there is a movie rumour, they didn't want it last week at $5,but they want it this week at $100+, it just doesn't make sense to me.  

Sold all of my #1 thru #3's, which were the only ones of the series I was stashing the last few years, and ain't looking back.

Not having any more copies I can honestly say that I don't see The Eternals coming to the MCU. Other than Ikaris and Sersi, the character names don't exactly roll of the tongue and there's no dynamic or dimension with any of them to where they'd be a household name like Rocket and Groot. GOTG was a lightning strikes only once event for the C and D listers.

If Eternals can take off overnight from a well spread internet rumor, bring on the chatter about Skull The Slayer, Omega The Unknown and Modred The Mystic!

18 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

I don't get it o.O. Unless this is back to the talk where collectors can be speculators as well...which I happen to agree with... I think many of us play the game to supplement our addiction, I mean...hobby.

Speculating is the collecting game, reading the books is the fun part. 

On 4/20/2018 at 5:49 AM, Key Largo Comics said:

Must they be mutually exclusive?

No. I recently sold my two copies of #1, but the one copy I wish I still had was the one signed by Jack - sold that to a boardie a few years ago . . . :grin:

Edited by divad

I find it telling that there are no WTB Eternals 1 on the boards.  Single point of data sure, but all the other "hot" movements had boardies looking to buy.  Deadpool, Harley Quinn, Black Panther, Luke Cage, Ultron, even Dreadstar and the Valiant 1sts when that was a thing, and on and on. Boardies are buying Eternals don't get me wrong but no one is "Seeking to Buy" 

34 minutes ago, ft88 said:

I find it telling that there are no WTB Eternals 1 on the boards.  Single point of data sure, but all the other "hot" movements had boardies looking to buy.  Deadpool, Harley Quinn, Black Panther, Luke Cage, Ultron, even Dreadstar and the Valiant 1sts when that was a thing, and on and on. Boardies are buying Eternals don't get me wrong but no one is "Seeking to Buy" 

I posted a WTB Eternals 1 in high grade a week ago and got no responses :cry:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/431936-eternals-1-2-high-grade-copies/

1 hour ago, ft88 said:

I was PM'ed after I posted a few pictures, one board member wanted to buy all of my books. I think there is growing interest.