• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ETERNALS #1? Buy or sell? Will it last?
1 1

109 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, blazingbob said:

Probably nobody responded because you didn't offer a price you would pay.

Bob, did you sell all of your raw 1's and 2's?  You listed a bunch and I don't see nary a one now.

Edited by scooter99

11 hours ago, scooter99 said:

Bob, did you sell all of your raw 1's and 2's?  You listed a bunch and I don't see nary a one now.

1Cool nailed some copies at pre-movie announcement pricing even though he claims he is a "seller" now.  Was smart not to make offers.  Another buyer bought the remaining pre-movie pricing.  The rest were sold after I listed the rest of the copies I had at post movie pricing. 

Yup,  those "collectors" really wanted multiple copies of 1 and 2.

I even got a email from one "local" guy wondering where my AS #263's all went.   

It is amazing how great your customer service is when you are handing people money by selling them books they can flip for $100's more.

Edited by blazingbob

3 hours ago, 1p36DSA said:
11 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I think the guy who put up this listing has the right idea.  Read the fine print.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/282928687128

he / she is a total person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed playing the system, why would anything think this is cool?

Please elaborate. I read the listing. Other then the seller not really selling a book whats the issue?

19 hours ago, blazingbob said:

1Cool nailed some copies at pre-movie announcement pricing even though he claims he is a "seller" now.  Was smart not to make offers.  Another buyer bought the remaining pre-movie pricing.  The rest were sold after I listed the rest of the copies I had at post movie pricing. 

Yup,  those "collectors" really wanted multiple copies of 1 and 2.

I even got a email from one "local" guy wondering where my AS #263's all went.   

It is amazing how great your customer service is when you are handing people money by selling them books they can flip for $100's more.

Bob is good people.  He shipped out 4 copies of #1 I grabbed at the last minute before things went crazy  I've never had him not followed thru on a sale no matter how much the books jump. 

Bob - I have to buy books low to sell them high.  I don't know of another way of getting books since the competition in my area is steep for collections.

13 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Please elaborate. I read the listing. Other then the seller not really selling a book whats the issue?

I don't like the guy since he is saying the book is common as hell but somehow a select few are dictating the market prices.  Those two statements don't go hand in hand unless someone has horded a storage room full of CGC 9.8s.  He is telling people what to do with their money which people do all day on the boards but after someone asks for their opinion.  This guy has the balls to post up phantom auctions for a book he is bashing - classy.

15 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I don't like the guy since he is saying the book is common as hell but somehow a select few are dictating the market prices.  Those two statements don't go hand in hand unless someone has horded a storage room full of CGC 9.8s.  He is telling people what to do with their money which people do all day on the boards but after someone asks for their opinion.  This guy has the balls to post up phantom auctions for a book he is bashing - classy.

I understand where you're coming from, but he probably feels he's doing a service.

Without looking to tell anyone else what to do, or interfere in anyone's attempts to sell for whatever the market will bear, I happen to agree with him that speculation on Eternals #1 is a bad idea.  I don't see this book holding the kind of value some sellers are currently asking for.

Trust me, I absolutely love Jack Kirby, but his 70s work doesn't hold up like his 60s work and the Eternals characters are even less interesting (and hold together less well) than the Inhumans.  With Thor and the Asgardians, there are strong characters with equally strong interpersonal dynamics.  When a story needs to draw on soap-opera-style elements (father/son, brother/brother, etc.) to drive the plot, it completely works.  The Black Bolt/Medusa/Maximus dynamic is not nearly as strong ... it's just impossible to get as emotionally invested in these characters, especially since the main guy never talks.  As for Ikaris and Thena and company, I've read all of the comics and I still couldn't tell you what makes any of those characters unique or what drives them.  I just do not see these characters achieving mainstream appeal of the kind necessary to overcome the high supply of a book from 1976.

That's just my two cents of course, and nobody needs to listen to me necessarily.  (thumbsu

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

10 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I understand where you're coming from, but he probably feels he's doing a service.

Without looking to tell anyone else what to do, or interfere in anyone's attempts to sell for whatever the market will bear, I happen to agree with him that speculation on Eternals #1 is a bad idea.  I don't see this book holding the kind of value some sellers are currently asking for.

Trust me, I absolutely love Jack Kirby, but his 70s work doesn't hold up like his 60s work and the Eternals characters are even less interesting (and hold together less well) than the Inhumans.  With Thor and the Asgardians, there are strong characters with equally strong interpersonal dynamics.  When a story needs to draw on soap-opera-style elements (father/son, brother/brother, etc.) to drive the plot, it completely works.  The Black Bolt/Medusa/Maximus dynamic is not nearly as strong ... it's just impossible to get as emotionally invested in these characters, especially since the main guy never talks.  As for Ikaris and Thena and company, I've read all of the comics and I still couldn't tell you what makes any of those characters unique or what drives them.  I just do not see these characters achieving mainstream appeal of the kind necessary to overcome the high supply of a book from 1976.

That's just my two cents of course, and nobody needs to listen to me necessarily.  (thumbsu

I can't really tell if he is being a good guy or is just some grump who doesn't like books when they shoot up.  I could go around making points on why people should not buy 100s of books since they are not rare or I could go around posting fake auctions about carded GI Joe figures that I do not feel are worth thousands of dollars.  I don't because unless its an outright scam I don't have a right to tell people what to do with their money.  Post opinions on Facebook or even come on here and voice your opinion but lecturing people as they attempt to buy a collectible is over the top any way you look at it.

1 minute ago, 1Cool said:

I can't really tell if he is being a good guy or is just some grump who doesn't like books when they shoot up.  I could go around making points on why people should not buy 100s of books since they are not rare or I could go around posting fake auctions about carded GI Joe figures that I do not feel are worth thousands of dollars.  I don't because unless its an outright scam I don't have a right to tell people what to do with their money.  Post opinions on Facebook or even come on here and voice your opinion but lecturing people as they attempt to buy a collectible is over the top any way you look at it.

He's targeting sellers who are shill bidding, and specifically calls them out. Unfortunately, there's potential collateral damage as well. But meh, who's to say his listings are actually influencing people anyways...

16 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Its a total farce and the person is an @ss, I hate people wasting space on ebay with stuff that isn't intended to sell and it isn't good for the comic hobby in general.

Edited by 1p36DSA

52 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

He's targeting sellers who are shill bidding, and specifically calls them out. Unfortunately, there's potential collateral damage as well. But meh, who's to say his listings are actually influencing people anyways...

He did add that part about the shill bidding which once again makes no sense.  Multiple copies have sold via BIN and he hasn't pulled his public service auctions.  He equates a low number of copies being up for sale as a rigged game but now that the prices have jumped (which some people foresaw and held onto copies) the books are coming out of the wood work.  He may be right about it being a bad investment but he could say the same thing about Ms Marvel 1s which fetch $1,700.  He is crying foul and nothing is really going on other then the crazy key book frenzy when a movie is discussed.

Do I think Eternals would make a good movie?  Not at all.  I read the 1st one last night and didn't see a movie plot but I've been wrong before.  I thought a Black Panther movie would be a dud when it was first discussed after reading Black Panther 1.

Edited by 1Cool

6 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Do I think Eternals would make a good movie?  Not at all.  I read the 1st one last night and didn't see a movie plot but I've been wrong before.  I thought a Black Panther movie would be a dud when it was first discussed after reading Black Panther 1.

Black Panther is a cultural phenomenon because of its ability to expand the Marvel Universe and cross over into a new demographic that was extremely hungry for "authentic" (yes I know we're talking about people in tights with powers) characters and stories that reflect their experience.  Ms. Marvel has that same potential (of course Wonder Woman has already proved that, but Wonder Woman was already a top-tier character with enormous mainstream visibility).

The Eternals have none of that potential IMHO.

51 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Do I think Eternals would make a good movie

Thanos being alive at the end of Infinity War, and his inclusion in the later Eternals film, would help a lot. 

I'm more easily pleased; at this stage I wouldn't mind seeing a few more Celestials.

Edited by Ken Aldred

12 hours ago, 1Cool said:

It is common as hell and so is the 30 cent variant. I found it refreshing.