• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ETERNALS #1? Buy or sell? Will it last?
1 1

109 posts in this topic

43 minutes ago, batmiesta said:

He is right about it not being scarce, ft88 has Shit loads of them .

EA48AD06-B625-4D12-8032-DC6DBA7141A6.thumb.jpeg.4123fd9c94d5ef0d06f9ce6a3081d09b.jpeg

I know a couple of collectors that have dozens of copies. Don't let anyone tell this book is rare in any grade. 
Speculators will come in and try to tell you differently. 

Edited by fastballspecial

18 hours ago, divad said:
22 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Nothing in there I would judge bad for the hobby. Its not like the guy is lying he is telling the truth the book is common as hell.

Except that he doesn't own one, nor is he selling one. He only wants to bring attention to his one real listing. Poor taste at best.:p

You are guilty of this a lot as well. Just saying

20 hours ago, c_mkv said:

So I’ve reached out to the seller ssking what his motivation was. He declined to post it himself but was fine if I shared his reply, which was:

New message from: pramood123 (87Blue Star)

I am collector and I was interested in buying a 9.8 copy myself knowing it is not that rare. I purchased one for $400 and one for $500. However, Many sellers cancelled my order after I made payment saying the item was out of stock and I know they all lied. They put it on sale later and I noticed few new ebayers doing shill bidding on them. I own a 9.6 copy myself that i bought before the rumors came out. I felt I need to make buyers aware of these false marketing tactics. My intention is not to downgrade the book but to point out the greed and devious business practices. Tow days ago, one comic bookseller (Sean Husvar of Sleeping Giant Collectible based in Buffalo, NY) made payment on two of my Eternals #1 CGC 9.8 listings even thought he knows they are not for sale! He lives in Buffalo which is 8 hrs away from my place. He purchased and paid for two of Eternals # 1 listing even though my listing says it is not for sale and available for local pick up only. He was one of the seller who had CGC 9.8 copy listed on his sleeping giant website and took it off after I placed the order. Its people like him that made me do it. Hope I answered your questions.

I live in Buffalo and I'm driving today to the NJ con so the trip doesn't sound off the wall because of cons locations. Mapquest puts the time as 7:06 hours from Buffalo, maybe Sean Husvar is doing the same con trip I'm doing, just a thought? I don't know Sean and I'm not vouching for him or talking trash, I don't know him. I have a few 9.6 of Ms.Marvel but only 1 9.8 and it took work to get, to me the book was "rare" enough. Hulk 181 had a larger press run, correct?  Rare is a vague word like natural on a box of cookies, but if you don't own one and want it is it correct. If I'm wrong about the Hulk press run I still think my point is right.

On 4/25/2018 at 9:48 PM, redknight99 said:

Wow, $828 smackers for what is pretty much a common book.  

I assume the buyer must be a label collector and paying for the 9.8 label only.  I wonder if he realizes that this copy was graded back in June of 2015 and with the tightening of the high end grading during the past couple of years, there is a high chance it would only grade out as a CGC 9.6 if resubmitted.  :tonofbricks:

Like they say, the old 9.8 is the new 9.6. hm

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Wow, $828 smackers for what is pretty much a common book.  

I assume the buyer must be a label collector and paying for the 9.8 label only.  I wonder if he realizes that this copy was graded back in June of 2015 and with the tightening of the high end grading during the past couple of years, there is a high chance it would only grade out as a CGC 9.6 if resubmitted.  :tonofbricks:

Like they say, the old 9.8 is the new 9.6. hm

I agree with your first comment, but not necessarily the rest. That book looks pretty nice from what I can see, and may not even have been pressed. See apparent light dirt on BC . . . who presses a book without dry-cleaning it first? hm

16 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I hope collectors cash out. Really I know its tough to let go, but this will be the best time to let go for a lot of years. 

I agree, if it is a investor, surely he will lose money.

22 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I hope collectors cash out. Really I know its tough to let go, but this will be the best time to let go for a lot of years. 

You mean there's a chance that I can finally recoup my original purchase cost after holding onto this dead weight for well over 4 decades?  :facepalm:   :wishluck:

Seriously though, with all of this talk about the Eternals, I decided to take a look through my boxes.  I guess I must have really liked them since I actually have the entire run of 19 issues plus the Annual.  Rather surprising since I usually picked up duplicates of the first few issues, but never really bothered to pick up anything after issue #10 for these "Moderns" that came out at the time.

Looks like the entire run is still sitting in the original 5 poly bags which I put them in and still as minty fresh as when I first cherry picked them off the racks of the LCS.  With all of this focus on the keys only though, I guess the last 18 issues are still not worth the time, trouble, and cost to slab them.  :frown:

8 minutes ago, NoMan said:

i bought mine for 5 or 8 bucks about a year and a half ago from my LCS cause I wanted to read the story. It might be a 9.2 - 9.6.

Exactly what I mean..........worthless dead weight from a monetary point of view for 40+ years, but still a wonderful series to have and read nonetheless.  (thumbsu 

20 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Exactly what I mean..........worthless dead weight from a monetary point of view for 40+ years, but still a wonderful series to have and read nonetheless.  (thumbsu 

it's an interesting perspective you have on the cost of carrying around a book for 40 + years until it's worth something. Not many people think about that. At work someone came up to me and "had a friend" who had some comics and wondered if they were worth something so he finds me. Look at the pictures on the phone and there was one of those crappy Jim Lee New Mutants with 1st Cabal (87?) and I think that's worth some money. "How much?" I dunno I see a nice looking cover but don't see the back cover and inside pages. I dunno. Really, I don't. "Well what do you THINK it's worth." Seeing where this is going I've gotta play along to get it to end. "Maybe $200.00." She'll sell it to you for that much. NO, it's not WORTH THAT TO ME. To me it's worth about $20.00 just so I can ditch it in a trade for something good. Once you factor in me driving in Los Angeles traffic to where the book is, not knowing what condition it's in, etc., etc, it's only worth $20.00 to me. Jim Lee sucks. 

This turns into me wanting to "rip" this lady off "because I said it was worth $200.00" and sure enough they've gone on the computer and seen 9.8s ASKING for $200.00 and I just wanna run and hide from humanity. I honestly don't know how comic dealers to it.

Edited by NoMan

Don't tell them what it might be worth.  Make and offer and allow them to accept or decline.  We're all adults and those that don't act it, you don't feel bad about it.

I kept my books for 40 some years, most years I never looked at them, touched them or thought about them. I'm not sure if it is that different than a mutual fund I bought young and as long as it showed some growth, I let it be. I always knew it had value so letting it sit worked out. Now that I am nearing retirement age and I want to sell a few, you bet I look at the going rate. If you are always buying and selling books the quick turn around would scare the S**t out of me,the long haul I understand but the fake ads on eBay just puzzle me because the why is so silly. I don't think it was done out of education/noble action. It seemed angry to me and I don't understand the why. Is the person selling and buying? Looking at the prior sales I don't think so but they might have other accounts. 

I'm very glad that the Eternals are finally going up in value, now lets get Howard the Duck moving :flipbait:

19 hours ago, NoMan said:

it's an interesting perspective you have on the cost of carrying around a book for 40 + years until it's worth something. Not many people think about that. At work someone came up to me and "had a friend" who had some comics and wondered if they were worth something so he finds me. Look at the pictures on the phone and there was one of those crappy Jim Lee New Mutants with 1st Cabal (87?) and I think that's worth some money. "How much?" I dunno I see a nice looking cover but don't see the back cover and inside pages. I dunno. Really, I don't. "Well what do you THINK it's worth." Seeing where this is going I've gotta play along to get it to end. "Maybe $200.00." She'll sell it to you for that much. NO, it's not WORTH THAT TO ME. To me it's worth about $20.00 just so I can ditch it in a trade for something good. Once you factor in me driving in Los Angeles traffic to where the book is, not knowing what condition it's in, etc., etc, it's only worth $20.00 to me. Jim Lee sucks. 

This turns into me wanting to "rip" this lady off "because I said it was worth $200.00" and sure enough they've gone on the computer and seen 9.8s ASKING for $200.00 and I just wanna run and hide from humanity. I honestly don't know how comic dealers to it.

NM 87 is definitely a 100-200 book. And that's raw. Unless you're talking about the reprint? hm 

maybe im missing your point here

Just now, Aweandlorder said:

NM 87 is definitely a 100-200 book. And that's raw. Unless you're talking about the reprint? hm 

maybe im missing your point here

I know it's worth that. I was being honest with the lady that that was what the book is worth TO SOME PEOPLE BUT NOT ME.

Difficulty in dealing with people that have comics and think they're going to be rich was my point, I guess

1 minute ago, NoMan said:

I know it's worth that. I was being honest with the lady that that was what the book is worth TO SOME PEOPLE BUT NOT ME.

Difficulty in dealing with people that have comics and think they're going to be rich was my point, I guess

Ahhh gotcha I knew I mustve missed the point lol