• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starting to question CCS's pressing skills.
4 4

193 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:
On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 2:21 PM, Dr. Funance said:

Thanks Pirate. That is what I am trying to do by asking other collectors about their experiences.

I'm sure your intentions are honorable but the topic of pressing service recommendations is in poor taste to discuss here. The topic always ends badly. Please consider dropping the discussion. It's not about violating rules per se but simply being polite to our host. 

Pressing services create a direct pipeline for downstream submissions to CGC. In other words, CGC benefits from all pressing services. Discussing them helps CGC, it doesn't harm them.

53 minutes ago, Ryan. said:
13 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:
On 4/26/2018 at 2:21 PM, Dr. Funance said:

Thanks Pirate. That is what I am trying to do by asking other collectors about their experiences.

I'm sure your intentions are honorable but the topic of pressing service recommendations is in poor taste to discuss here. The topic always ends badly. Please consider dropping the discussion. It's not about violating rules per se but simply being polite to our host. 

Pressing services create a direct pipeline for downstream submissions to CGC. In other words, CGC benefits from all pressing services. Discussing them helps CGC, it doesn't harm them.

[Devil's Advocate] Doesn't help CGC/CCS if the prospective submitter uses a different slabbing company and/or different presser. [/Devil's Advocate]

Edited by Jerkfro

42 minutes ago, Jerkfro said:
1 hour ago, Ryan. said:
14 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

[Devil's Advocate] Doesn't help CGC/CCS if the prospective submitter uses a different slabbing company and/or different presser. [/Devil's Advocate]

Depends. The more people that submit for slabbing, regardless of the company, the more CGC benefits. At any point slabbing could stop being of interest to collectors and then no slabbing companies benefit.

It's like TGI Friday's and Chili's opening in the same plaza. Both restaurants benefit from the other's overflow traffic. 

Or dealers who set up at conventions. They don't get mad at other competing dealers having booths in the same building. They all revel in having a destination place for people to spend their money. 

A healthy market, which includes competition, is good for business. 

Not all pressing solves eliminating spines stress lines, they can still be there when the book is seen under the light. What pressing can do is help improve their appearance. I became unhappy with CCS's turnaround time and cost, so I learned how to do it myself. CCS did alright for the submissions I sent them. I did send them an Aquaman 19 and the spine split at the top staple, of course DC silver age books are very fragile and it's the risk you take when pressing them or any book for that matter.  

44 minutes ago, Ryan. said:
1 hour ago, Jerkfro said:
2 hours ago, Ryan. said:
15 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Depends. The more people that submit for slabbing, regardless of the company, the more CGC benefits. At any point slabbing could stop being of interest to collectors and then no slabbing companies benefit.

It's like TGI Friday's and Chili's opening in the same plaza. Both restaurants benefit from the other's overflow traffic. 

Or dealers who set up at conventions. They don't get mad at other competing dealers having booths in the same building. They all revel in having a destination place for people to spend their money. 

I don't disagree but we're talking about CGC here and they have chosen to do things differently. Whether or not that approach is hurting or helping their business is the real question. 

Edited by Jerkfro

54 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

Your logic is based on the assumption that CGC is only in business to slab. I think the big winner for them is CCS. No matter what, I just think it's rude to promote other companies on this site. The newbie can do plenty of research on his own outside of this site.

3 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:
1 hour ago, Ryan. said:

Your logic is based on the assumption that CGC is only in business to slab. I think the big winner for them is CCS. No matter what, I just think it's rude to promote other companies on this site. The newbie can do plenty of research on his own outside of this site.

My logic is based on logic. :sumo:

43 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

This is about the 10th time we've had a newbie ask this same question. Ultimately, the newbie disappears and we argue amongst ourselves. So predictable. 

"Newbie" is still here and still reading comments and from what I've read, I'm far from the only one that's been disappointed by CCS. I intend to go 3rd party pressing in the future. I did my homework but in the spirit of the debate on this thread I will not name who. 

It seems like nobody submits a book anymore without getting it pressed first. Pressing is not a guarantee of a higher grade and you really have to learn where pressing will help. Example, a book has a small tear and a light fold. Sure the press can eliminate the fold but it will not improve the grade because of the tear. So why bother. Instead of wasting so much time and money, submit books directly to CGC with a prescreen. A much better long term strategy.

On 5/2/2018 at 2:09 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

It seems like nobody submits a book anymore without getting it pressed first. Pressing is not a guarantee of a higher grade and you really have to learn where pressing will help. Example, a book has a small tear and a light fold. Sure the press can eliminate the fold but it will not improve the grade because of the tear. So why bother. Instead of wasting so much time and money, submit books directly to CGC with a prescreen. A much better long term strategy.

That's not true. There are plenty of books submitted not pressed. Also, I have a friend who deals at some of the major shows. He has lots of high grade silver not slabbed. I asked him why he wouldn't submit them to get more money. He told me there are customers that request raw high grade books all the time and he wants to provide them with those raw books. There are tons of books that would not benefit from pressing. Though I do agree with you that I know of some dealers that always have a book pressed before grading. Some press themselves, others rely on a pressing company. Some press themselves and don't get the results and then try and rely on the pressing company. :)

First of all, pressing is not considered restoration by CCS or CGC. Maybe other folks think it is. The thing is, if it's done correctly, it's virtually impossible to detect. Second, the people who run CCS are some of the top restoration experts in the country. They've been doing this for a long time and they have a very successful formula in place for their various procedures. Third, spine stress lines are generally not removed during the typical pressing process. Other methods must be utilized to remove spine stress lines. Fourth, the CGC graders have a lot to deal with. They're some of the hardest working people on the planet, believe it or not. Sometimes they're grading at shows, where the conditions can be difficult to deal with. They grade more books in a week than the average person grades in a year. So if the grader notes aren't super-specific, there's a reason. This especially applies to higher grade books where the only noticeable flaws happen to be a few tiny spine stress lines. Last but certainly not least, inform yourselves about this subject. Read. Learn. Grow. And don't let your expectations exceed reality.