• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starting to question CCS's pressing skills.
4 4

193 posts in this topic

On 5/2/2018 at 10:40 AM, Bomber-Bob said:

Your logic is based on the assumption that CGC is only in business to slab. I think the big winner for them is CCS. No matter what, I just think it's rude to promote other companies on this site. The newbie can do plenty of research on his own outside of this site.

Well if we all promoted Joeypost on this site, would that be rude too?  

3 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

Well if we all promoted Joeypost on this site, would that be rude too?  

Actually, you may recall there used to be a whole thread dedicated to Boardies praising Joey which was pulled. Around this time Harshen made this statement......

CGC provides its message boards as a service to the comic book collecting community. Although we value an open forum where users can discuss issues that affect the hobby, we will not allow our message boards to be used to promote our competitors. Several recent posts have done this and have been pulled. Going forward, we will pull any posts that violate this policy and may also choose to suspend or ban the poster.

Joey is doing fine, has plenty of business and probably doesn't need any public promotion on the Boards. Joey, being a stand up guy, would probably agree with me.

19 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Actually, you may recall there used to be a whole thread dedicated to Boardies praising Joey which was pulled. Around this time Harshen made this statement......

CGC provides its message boards as a service to the comic book collecting community. Although we value an open forum where users can discuss issues that affect the hobby, we will not allow our message boards to be used to promote our competitors. Several recent posts have done this and have been pulled. Going forward, we will pull any posts that violate this policy and may also choose to suspend or ban the poster.

Joey is doing fine, has plenty of business and probably doesn't need any public promotion on the Boards. Joey, being a stand up guy, would probably agree with me.

Agreed. 

46 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

No worries, it's going to take a lot more than this lame comment to provoke me. I'm just trying to figure out which specific banned poster you are under a new identity.

That would be "Stu Cathell."

On 5/2/2018 at 7:36 AM, Bomber-Bob said:

This is about the 10th time we've had a newbie ask this same question. Ultimately, the newbie disappears and we argue amongst ourselves. So predictable. 

:roflmao:

I've always wondered what would happen if you press a book, than press it again and again and again and again and again and you just never stopped.

I mean what would eventually become of it?

2 hours ago, Ryan. said:

I haven't. Is it a sunbaked field full of laborers working 18 hour days and earning an unlivable wage? Or is it a climate controlled space where people grade comic books?

LOL. Of course it's a climate controlled space where people grade comic books---LOTS of comic books. Which must be carefully removed from lots of well-packaged packages. And sorted. And entered into a computer system. And bar-coded. And placed carefully in boxes. And given to the appropriate people. And have the pages and every other minute defect inspected. And enter in any information that makes the book "special." And arrive at a suitable grade (not as easy as you might think). And type in grader notes. And placed carefully back in the right box. And sent to encapsulation. And have the correct labels printed. And have them heat sealed. And encapsulated. And carefully inspected again (and redone if necessary) before they're sent to the shipping department. And packaged. And shipped to the correct address. And done in a certain amount of time, especially if the customer paid more to have them done quicker. And they keep coming, an endless stream of books, demanding your undivided attention, until your head pounds and your eyes feel like somebody threw sand in them, until your back is sore and your butt is numb. And that's a good day. I've done a lot of jobs in my life, my friend. I've cleaned out filthy ditches, worked on oil rig equipment, worked midnight shift in a printing factory, worked in a bottling facility, cleaned out large vats full of foul mud and slime, cleaned out huge thermal oil heaters full of caustic ash, worked in the restaurant business, gas stations, fast food establishments, you name it. The toughest job I've ever had was working for CGC...and that's a fact. They're also the best group of people I've ever worked with, and I'm extremely proud to call them my friends.

Edited by The Lions Den

42 minutes ago, NoMan said:

I've always wondered what would happen if you press a book, than press it again and again and again and again and again and you just never stopped.

I don't know but you can ask Doug Schmell and find out !

35 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I don't know but you can ask Doug Schmell and find out !

I'm not sure what this means, however I just scored a killer copy of ASM #41 from my favorite LCS. Half off too cause it's Free Comic Book Day!

9 minutes ago, NoMan said:

I'm not sure what this means, however I just scored a killer copy of ASM #41 from my favorite LCS. Half off too cause it's Free Comic Book Day!

I guess it's too much of an inside joke but Doug is known to keep resubbing until he gets the desired grade. Nice score on the ASM 41 !

3 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I guess it's too much of an inside joke but Doug is known to keep resubbing until he gets the desired grade. Nice score on the ASM 41 !

I did do a little goggle research after reading your first post but didn't spend too much time with it. I guess it was just a passing thought about habitual pressing. I really ment if you kept pressing even after you got the desired grade as in you never stopped pressing. I assume it would distengrate but thinking with pressing you would press the distengrations back out of it. ??? Wish my grading skills were better (in regards to ASM 41). Things take time and it's tough to really get good at something. I think it's at least a 4.5. Like the LCS and like to support the guy when I can

Edited by NoMan

2 hours ago, NoMan said:

Well, one of the worlds (self proclaimed) best pressers states he keeps pressing a book until he gets the humidity right, even if that means hitting the book 7-8 times. 

10 minutes ago, joeypost said:

Well, one of the worlds (self proclaimed) best pressers states he keeps pressing a book until he gets the humidity right, even if that means hitting the book 7-8 times. 

guess that answers it than: you can't over press a book

2 hours ago, WhatWouldJoeDo? said:

Yup, "is correct, it's me. And I'm just stating a fact, this is a trait you have. I've seen you have a stick up your butt previously over something stupid like this. Just letting the Noobs know the situation and that it's not actually a situation.

WWJD?

I wonder what is lacking in your life that has made you so desperately, despairingly unhappy and angry.

Don't bother trying to deny it: your actions scream 180 decibels otherwise.

1 hour ago, NoMan said:

guess that answers it than: you can't over press a book

Sure you can. It's the people who try to force a book into doing what they want it to, instead of treating the book like the decades old paper that it is and being gentle with it. And when you do that, you end up with problems, like bad waves, crushed staples, pebbling, warping, cockling, or even cases where it doesn't look like they did anything at all. 

Somewhere around here, I have a picture of an ASM #122 that was pressed by "one of the most respected pressers in the business" that you can surf the waves on the back cover.

Here's another doozy:

DSCF4833.thumb.JPG.e4f494999f3db9377586eeff711d495d.JPG

That's a 9.6 Silver Surfer #7. You can ride those waves. 

That's a problem with some of the world's (self-proclaimed) best pressers. I've had to fix some of the work of the "most respected" pressers' in the business. 

And I wouldn't dream of pretending that there have not been a couple of mine that also had to be fixed. There certainly were. 

It's the ones who act, speak, and pretend otherwise, like their poop doesn't stink, that you should walk away from. We're dealing with paper that is 30, 40, 50, 60+ years old. It behaves in ways you can't predict. Anyone telling you otherwise is selling you something.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus
Falco was here

On 5/2/2018 at 1:09 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

It seems like nobody submits a book anymore without getting it pressed first. Pressing is not a guarantee of a higher grade and you really have to learn where pressing will help. Example, a book has a small tear and a light fold. Sure the press can eliminate the fold but it will not improve the grade because of the tear. So why bother. Instead of wasting so much time and money, submit books directly to CGC with a prescreen. A much better long term strategy.

I meant to ask this question

Would you Do a Quick Press, Pre Screen Modern Tier Submission? to CCS 

20 minutes ago, Jaydee said:

I meant to ask this question

Would you Do a Quick Press, Pre Screen Modern Tier Submission? to CCS 

Not sure but I don't think they offer a Prescreen on a Quick press, only a regular press. 

Is there a thread that defines, and has pictures of, flaws? Sometimes people use words representing flaws that I don't follow... Like "pebbling" for example...I've probably seen it, but don't know what this word is trying to represent. Need something to connect the dots...

5 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

Is there a thread that defines, and has pictures of, flaws? Sometimes people use words representing flaws that I don't follow... Like "pebbling" for example...I've probably seen it, but don't know what this word is trying to represent. Need something to connect the dots...

There are examples of all the common 'bad press' flaws on the CGC website .....

Screenshot (1178).png