• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starting to question CCS's pressing skills.
4 4

193 posts in this topic

On 5/18/2018 at 7:40 PM, comicquant said:

You didn’t do anything wrong.  Some members get wrapped around the axle about people posting topics that have been covered but it happens all the time, by newbies and old hat.  

In my opinion it’s absolutely ridiculous to assume members can’t recommend third party pressing services.  I don’t think CGC is in the business of suffocating small business nor wants to be associated with the notion. People refer to the censorship of Voldy to support this idea but that entire scenario is due to legal ramifications for slanderous content present on an asset owned and managed by CGC.

Bottom line is CCS is getting a bed reputation because their service and quality of work doesn’t live up to what everyone has come to expect from CGC.  Instead of hiding that fact, talk about it and maybe CCS will step up their game.  I would say, in my experience, its a 1 in 3 ratio of good experiences to bad.

My recommendation is CFP Comics.  I’ve used more than a half dozen pressing services and none have compared.  I’ve had hundreds of books worked on by CFP and have never had a single disappointment.  

But remember, you can’t just send a book in and expect a grade bump.  You have to know what you’re doing when it comes to identifying books that will benefit from a clean and press.   

Certainly not doubting the 1 in 3 ratio of good to bad that you heard about, but you also have to remember someone that has a bad experience is twice as likely to tell someone else about it. I think this ratio has been used forever and is WAY too low these days. People like to complain to other people. I've had a couple of "miracle" presses from CCS that resulted in 9.8's..., but didn't share it with anyone. I've certainly complained about lower than expected grades though. Human nature. ;)

Old thread but relevant. Just got graders notes on books I sent to CCS. One high dollar book indicates “moderate bends to cover”.

I’m mad at myself for still using them, this might be the final straw. Sent them a message, their response will determine my continued business, or not...

Is my expectation of no bends post-press unrealistic?

10 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

There are some severe cases in which pressing may not alleviate said bend, but I would think you would know if it was press-able or not (I'm no expert, at all, but I think I can tell what is and is not a press-able bend).

8 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

There are some severe cases in which pressing may not alleviate said bend, but I would think you would know if it was press-able or not (I'm no expert, at all, but I think I can tell what is and is not a press-able bend).

There’s nothing extreme about this book...imo. Standard press candidate. It’s bagged in this pic btw...

1A4575CC-6023-47B9-BDF0-63ECEC733847.jpeg.8bfa08afb17e0d119cc03e91bec7c0c4.jpeg

Edited by Callaway29

3 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

There’s nothing extreme about this book...imo. Standard press candidate. It’s bagged in this pic btw...

1A4575CC-6023-47B9-BDF0-63ECEC733847.jpeg.8bfa08afb17e0d119cc03e91bec7c0c4.jpeg

Maybe they mis-wrote "bend" for "color-breaking crease"? Can't tell if there's color-breaking crease there, or bag reflection/etc.

Other than the chipping that is an extremely nice book.

8 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Maybe they mis-wrote "bend" for "color-breaking crease"? Can't tell if there's color-breaking crease there, or bag reflection/etc.

Other than the chipping that is an extremely nice book.

Doubtful, notes also include “moderate creasing to cover”...

Thanks, it’s a solid book. Will let everyone know how they handle it...

Edited by Callaway29
Grammar

14 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Doubtful, notes also include “moderate creasing to cover”...

Thanks, it’s a solid book. Will let everyone know how they handle it...

I've had books where pressing removed the majority of the bends, but a couple of the more pronounced bends were still visible. I'm still happy with CCS's service, but next time I may pursue a different course of action...  hm

Same - I think they do a pretty good job and as I’ve indicated on other threads - I hate shipping my books to multiple destinations ( same as I hate connecting flights but that’s another story ) the prices on pressing older books is a bit steep though IMO.

Edited by Old_Man_Adam
Spell

I have used CCS on multiple occasions in the past, usually on books that I know were never pressed, usually Signature Series books that had Cover creasing, that I know would be removed with a good Quality press, only to have the book returned to me in the same grade with the same imperfections, and the book looked as if it hadn’t been touched by anyone other than the employees at CGC that reholdered the book, and placed it in the newer slab. For the sake of getting banned, I won’t say, who I believe would’ve gotten me a more desired result, but the list is extremely long. I can say in all honesty only once have I gotten a book back from CGC that CCS Pressed and I was happy with the result and that’s a book I got back today, and I can honestly say I was impressed with the results, prior to submission I had the book graded at an 8.5, book came back a 9.0, but the downside I think CCS probably got the book to jump to a solid 9.4, and the Graders were having an extremely Bad day or something and incredibly under graded the book. Only reason I used CCS was because I was at a private Gerry Conway signing and didn’t have an opportunity to get my book to the Presser I normally use. Needless to say after having CCS Work on 15 or 20 books in the past, on this particular book the result was exemplary! 

12 hours ago, Brett Barrett said:

I have used CCS on multiple occasions in the past, usually on books that I know were never pressed, usually Signature Series books that had Cover creasing, that I know would be removed with a good Quality press, only to have the book returned to me in the same grade with the same imperfections, and the book looked as if it hadn’t been touched by anyone other than the employees at CGC that reholdered the book, and placed it in the newer slab. For the sake of getting banned, I won’t say, who I believe would’ve gotten me a more desired result, but the list is extremely long. I can say in all honesty only once have I gotten a book back from CGC that CCS Pressed and I was happy with the result and that’s a book I got back today, and I can honestly say I was impressed with the results, prior to submission I had the book graded at an 8.5, book came back a 9.0, but the downside I think CCS probably got the book to jump to a solid 9.4, and the Graders were having an extremely Bad day or something and incredibly under graded the book. Only reason I used CCS was because I was at a private Gerry Conway signing and didn’t have an opportunity to get my book to the Presser I normally use. Needless to say after having CCS Work on 15 or 20 books in the past, on this particular book the result was exemplary! 

It may be the copious amounts of booze, but my brain hurts.

Edited by Callaway29

On 9/6/2019 at 11:04 AM, Callaway29 said:

Old thread but relevant. Just got graders notes on books I sent to CCS. One high dollar book indicates “moderate bends to cover”.

I’m mad at myself for still using them, this might be the final straw. Sent them a message, their response will determine my continued business, or not...

i have seen this a couple times recently too... I like to use CCS because of the ease of sending one place and working through the tracking here. BUT I think for the money they charge it is not always the best it could be. 

CGC: “Thank you for your email. Our graders reviewed the grading information and feel that the note referencing bends was likely added by mistake. Please check the book to see if there are moderate bends present.   If you do not see bends please let us know and we will remove the note from our system. If you do see obvious bends, notify us and we will make arrangements to return the book for review.“

My first time considering a press.  I received a Wolverine 1 (1982) book that arrived in a cracked slab and rated 8.0 with the grader notes below.  Since I have to get it re-slabbed, was thinking I'd pay for a CCS press with the hopes of bumping this up from the 8.0.  Would love any thoughts on if I'm wasting my time or money based on the notes.  Thank you! 

light finger bends cover
small crease right bottom of back cover
spine stress lines

On 5/5/2018 at 1:31 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

I guess it's too much of an inside joke but Doug is known to keep resubbing until he gets the desired grade. Nice score on the ASM 41 !

So if someone resubmits a 9.6 until it does finally receive a 9.8 grade then is it a 9.6 or a 9.8?

On 10/3/2019 at 11:42 AM, WoWitHurts said:

So if someone resubmits a 9.6 until it does finally receive a 9.8 grade then is it a 9.6 or a 9.8?

If they did not stop resubbing it then it would have ended up with a 10.0..........

I will say I used Joeypost in the past and I wasn't impressed...I sent him some moderns and I had to keep on emailing him to get them back. And when I did get them back some of the spines were not straight.....Not a fan of Joey..I am sure if you really know him maybe you will get a better deal...who knows...